PDA

View Full Version : Fun Competition - Project lightweight

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 5th January 2006, 02:28
Good evening peeps.....

No the Tread starter doesn't refer to the drinking games that I always loose and fall over....

What it does refer to is Three fun sweep stakes...

I am having a bit of a play with my car whilst it's under going surgery and had a silly brianwave to include everyone here who wants to take part..

The Plan - Remove as much weight as possible from my Volvo 850 T-5 Estate by April.... :rice:

The Sweeps :

1. My Current VIN plate reads that my car weights 1450kg. Guess number 1 will be how much will my car weight using a local scrapyard scales at the begining of April...?

2. I'm going to be removing the odd one or two items. Without actually logging each nut and bolt your guess (Guess #2)how many items will I have removed by the April 1st 2006...?

3. Bearing in mind Certain items that I may remove might have to be replaced with another lighter material part. As I remove each Item I will weight them (using Cheap Bathroom scales) You Guess (Guess #3) is The total weight of all the Items removed....?

Clue :
I'm working on a extremely tight budget so They'll be no Fancy Carbon Fibre used...but maybe the odd bit of Fibre glass may make it in...
The car will be a fully road legal car...
I have a Grinder/Spanners/hammers to use.....

Rules :
1. My inaccurate and total incompetent weighing/totalling and logging of items will not get in the way of a fun result..
2. Unless posted in the forum by accident I won't discuss to many plans or any work carried out so far unless I post a "Oops what have I just broke" or a "Now my car doesn't move cos I've just removed the wheels and suspension to save weight" thread...
3. To be honest I'm going to make this up as I go along so any further rules will be in my head....I am a dictator in my competition so, "What I say goes"...

Also consider this - I may decide not to remove anything which will render all your guesses totally pointless...

Good Luck....if anyone wants to donate any prizes let me know...

Mrsmopp
Thursday 5th January 2006, 09:04
LMSO! Loving your rules!!

Guess 1 - 1489!
Guess 2 - 27
Guess 3 - I dunno!

x

Vikingxl
Thursday 5th January 2006, 09:52
Guess 1. 1600kg
Guess 2. 47
Guess 3. 600kg
Well there are my guesses probably way out but what the hell like you said a bit of fun

chriskay
Thursday 5th January 2006, 10:17
Judge; Have the car weighed now, before you start. The figure on the plate (mine's 2020 Kg.) is the gross vehicle weight, i.e. the maximum it should weigh fully loaded. The kerb weight will be just under 1500 Kg.
I guess you'll get it down to 1250 Kg.
Cheers, Chris.

lance
Thursday 5th January 2006, 11:50
Mine weighed 1550kg and thats CD spec with a small tool box ,oil , maps rubish cds etc etc.
I reckon your car weighs around 1475-1500 kg as is assuming its not got aircon dog gaurd, boot covers bits in bobs etc.

1. 1485 kg without you 1565 kg with you.
2. 37 items removed
3 1248 KG final weight 1328 KG with you.

siamblue
Thursday 5th January 2006, 12:18
Mine weighed 1550kg and thats CD spec with a small tool box ,oil , maps rubish cds etc etc.
I reckon your car weighs around 1475-1500 kg as is assuming its not got aircon dog gaurd, boot covers bits in bobs etc.

1. 1485 kg without you 1565 kg with you.
2. 37 items removed
3 1248 KG final weight 1328 KG with you.

If yours was a Auto R then you would be dragging a whole heap of extra weight too, cue Engineer :haha:

1, 1550,
2, 31,
3. 1260,

Gary

lance
Thursday 5th January 2006, 12:27
Mines a manual and so is Judges.

JUDGENINJA
Friday 6th January 2006, 04:15
Can't weight it before I start cos theres not Engine or Box in it at the mo.
But Feel free to adjust your answers whenever you feel like it.

PS - Sweep three is the weight of all the items I have removed. Gary I think your optimistic 1260kgs would leave me with only 2 wheels a steering wheel and maybe the glove box :haha:

Also the Weight of a BTCC Volvo is 975kgs......and I don't need a roll cage :sinner:

Anyone else fancy a guess....??

After_Shock
Friday 6th January 2006, 11:26
1. 1625kg's
2. 8
3. 225 Kg's

siamblue
Friday 6th January 2006, 12:29
If yours was a Auto R then you would be dragging a whole heap of extra weight too, cue Engineer :haha:

1, 1550,
2, 31,
3. 1260,

Gary

Amended lol,

1, 1550,
2, 31,
3. 290,

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 16th February 2006, 05:42
Well the lightened flywheel is now on it's way home (there's 2'ish KGs for you already)....now let the fun begin.... :sinner: well I say fun but i got to get the thing running now.... :help:

a had an E-mail back for a bloke who rallies his T-5. with roll cage and stuff his weighs 1400kg....I am not fitting a rollcage...

Any more guesses...?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 05:00
Come on then Judge hows this coming along the track day is nearly upon us

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 9th April 2006, 01:41
QUICK UPDATE :

I've been having issues in getting the thing started. This is only two months late..!!!! I've had a major electrical problem with everything flashing when the ignition is turned on. Must remember to connect all the earth straps next time..!!
The last issue I should have is a fuel problem ( no fuel pumping ) I'm hoping its just that I've got the pipes connected the wrong way round..I'll know more tomorrow
I think I've diagnosed another issue and I'll hopefully get the fuel lines sorted tomorrow..fingers crossed it starts tomorrow...

Any way here's a teaser.....

BlackBeast
Sunday 9th April 2006, 01:56
LOL id love to see an mot testers face if you turned up with the interior (or lack of) like that, i remember an mot tester almost had a hissy fit when i had left my gearstick gaitor off lol. Seriosuly though, are you going to be tidying the wiring up? maybe making a mini fiberglass dash? Loose those standard seats and get some proper light weight carbon or even lighter kevlar seats in there.

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 9th April 2006, 02:07
Yep the wiring will be sorted... I've got to sort out a switch box and mounting for the instrument panel...

I was hoping for bucket seats but the one's I want are £700+ each, so until I find some secondhand ones the standard one's will just have to do...

They weight 23-24kgs each so I'm definately keen to get rid of them...
The rears have already gone along with the brackets, so there's 40kgs+ that has gone....

I take no one has noticed the burn mark on the bulk head..... :haha:

Vikingxl
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:19
Looking good mate keep it up

BlackBeast
Sunday 9th April 2006, 16:36
Yep the wiring will be sorted... I've got to sort out a switch box and mounting for the instrument panel...

I was hoping for bucket seats but the one's I want are £700+ each, so until I find some secondhand ones the standard one's will just have to do...

They weight 23-24kgs each so I'm definately keen to get rid of them...
The rears have already gone along with the brackets, so there's 40kgs+ that has gone....

I take no one has noticed the burn mark on the bulk head..... :haha:

Get the 2 demon tweeks catalogues, they state the weight of all the seats, get yourself on ebay and see if you can find them cheaper! You never know!

I was going to ask what the burn mark was but then i thought it might have been there from when Volvo welded the chassis or something like that. What did you do????

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 9th April 2006, 23:55
It's the result of not having your exhaust bolted up properly. It has burnt through the Heat shield in the engine compartment and was working it's way through the carpet.....not one of the best ideas I've Had....

New update - Car is now Running and I've had a friend around today with a spotweld removing drill bit removing brackets and any bits of metal I don't need.... :sinner:

Next week -
Tidy up wiring
Mount instrument panel securely
Modifying of bumper
and fitting of modified bonnet.....

Vikingxl
Monday 10th April 2006, 06:47
So when is the weigh in ?

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 15th April 2006, 03:35
:shifty: THAT'S A GOOD QUESTION...... :shifty:

This week some time I hope on the way to the MOT station... :shifty: