PDA

View Full Version : Puddle in my T5!!

T5 newbie
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 17:56
need some help here guys, took delivery of my new 1999 T5 GT yesterday :B_steerin. Went to start here up for a winter morning thrash on the roads and found a puddle in the rear passenger footwell behind the driver's seat....we're talking a pretty damp carpet. I checked the rest of the interior (back and front) and the window seals to check for any water marks or signs of leaks etc. but couldnt find any.......can anyone help on the matter because i'm stumped and rather worried!!

Thanx :) :B_steerin

t5owner
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:10
Are we talking estate or saloon

If its an estate it could be a leak from the hose for the rear screen washer pipe as it goes from the front to the back i believe

Seeing as its not wet in the front footwells you can rule out the heater matrix problem or did you check under the carpets ?

Other than having a look underneath to see if the chassis been holed or theres a bung missing from one of the many holes that are in the chassis anyway i don`t know what else to suggest

Cheers

stuart

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:11
:welcome:

Your heater matrix is the most likely culprit. It is sadly a common fault.

But you are in luck my friend. Owing to my own stupidity - I wrote off my 1999 C70 :cry: before Xmas. I may have the bits if you need them.

Any warranty?

EDIT - Having read your first post again, properly - I am not as sure as I was about the matrix.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:13
Stuart, given that the lad said it's a GT I can only assume that it is indeed a C70

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:14
How clean is the interior? Looking at it optimistically could be from where they steam cleaned the carpets if its just had a major valet.Probably not but worth investigation.

Martinr
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:16
Right then this a C70 GT. Not an estate so rear washer ruled out. Process of elimination based on where original thread was posted. :)

Unlikely to be the heater matrix if it is the rear passenger footwell on the drivers side.

Could it be a door seal leak? Has something been spilt or leaked in the rear? Once had a rear passenger well full of whisky in a mini when I took a bend too quick and the bottle broke.

Could be a bung missing from the rear floor.

Not a convertible is it?

Dave and Rich you were too quick for me :)

t5owner
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:17
Stuart, given that the lad said it's a GT I can only assume that it is indeed a C70

Doh !!!!! Shall i go and lie down

Cheers

Martinr
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:20
Re-read the original. Rich that could be a good call. Maybe they left a window open when the car was cleaned?

Suggest dry it out and see how it goes.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:20
And just to rub it in - it's on the C series board? :slap:

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:22
Re-read the original. Rich that could be a good call. Maybe they left a window open when the car was cleaned?

Suggest dry it out and see how it goes.
Apologies for assuming the worst. Drying it out and seeing would be a good start.

ANFSCD....

What colour is it and do you have pics?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:26
And just to rub it in - it's on the C series board? :slap:
Was goinng to say that but thought better of it but seeing as you've mentioned it

t5owner
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 18:27
Olllaacckksss to you all i`m off to work for a sulk

Stuart

T5 newbie
Thursday 5th January 2006, 01:47
wow guys thanx for all the responses, i think they might have over done it with the pressure washer on the window seals....something stupid like that i hope! i will wait and see if it happens again. as for the car, i actually acquired it from Soma (Rica_C70) yesterday, very pleased, awesome car....just had a bit of a worry obviously with the water thing...fingers crossed it aint gonna happen again!!

thanx again guys, nice to know your all very friendly and helpful

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 5th January 2006, 01:52
I met Soma @ VT a while ago. He has a S4 now I believe? This might sound odd but I was quite tempted to buy your new C70 myself.

I trust you will have many hours of fun.

My other advice would be buy a road angel or similar - I think you're gonna need it.

T5 newbie
Thursday 5th January 2006, 09:14
bought one yesterday!! haha.....and yes, i did need it, drove back from london to plymouth, great fun:bud:!! yes i think he got the S4 as a company car.....

PS>glad u didnt buy it dave, otherwise i wouldny have it:eek:

mraldonnelly
Thursday 5th January 2006, 09:23
If it turns out that there is still a leak in the car, do you have a sun roof (I have no idea of the spec of C70's)? If so, any idea where the sunroof drain hoses exit? Could it have become disconnected and actually be draining inside the car?

Just a thought.

Regards

Andy

Babybadger
Thursday 5th January 2006, 11:07
My brother had a Triumph Stag that leaked. He drilled a hole in floor.......

madness
Thursday 5th January 2006, 11:25
sorry i'm late with this........
if no water is seen comming down under the bulkhead when the vehicle is stopped /turned off after aircon has been used, the pipe has come adrift under the dash and water(condensation0 is running down the vents to the rear footwells.
a real pain in the ass problem i'm afraid.
if water can be seen there is at least 2 inches of water there.

but my leared collegue also said we have had it from rear 1/4 windows, there's an adjustment apparently - check this too.