PDA

View Full Version : Fog Light Query

yamma1
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:04
Finally sourced some front fogs for the V70 but I'm having no joy getting them to work. The light on the switch does not illuminate and the indicator light in the clock binacle does not come on either so I'm guessing no power at all on the front fog light circuit. I'm assuming there are separate fuses for left and right so my next best guess is a missing/knackered relay?? Anybody know where the relay is located or have any ides what else may be the cause?

cheers

firestorm
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 22:51
have you looked here m8

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=22

i know it's for the 850, but i would have thought it would be simular for v70, the is even a troubleshooting guide at the end

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 07:07
Fuse should be a single one for both should be a 20a in slot 17 have the wiring diagram for the fog lights but would have to email it if you need it.

yamma1
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 13:03
Rich - pm replied to - cheers mate. Firestorm - cheers for the link - i'll have a mooch about tonight and see if I can fettle them.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 13:40
No problem mate i have sent the email

yamma1
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:21
I've read through Justin's fog light fitting guide but I'm not sure if the 850 and V70 share the same relay board? The relay location number from Justin's guide do not seem to tally with what is on my relay board. Does anybody know if the green jumper relay as mentioned in the guide is supposed to go in the vacant space with the green base as per the photo?

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:22
Can't help you there mate i would look but my cars not here sorry.

yamma1
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:25
No probs Rich - I know you would if you could!

DaveS60D5
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 22:05
"The green based jumper plug is easier (the tall relay). It’s the bottom left hand socket 213 which is colour coded green to match. Once fitted, leave the foot well cover off for the time being."

Excerpt above from J's guide does actually state the socket is colour coded, so yes, the socket is green.

I think I was one of the first to install foglights into a T5 without them, mine being an S70 Ex-plod.

It is often faulty parts supplied by Volvo that are the problem - I know it's hard to believe but several people I've helped get their fogs working have had the same problem every time. Either the switch doesn't work or the green jumper 213 is configured for the Japanese spec lights i.e. the fogs are only permitted to work when headlights are on, fog lights are on AND main beam is activated.

The fact you aren't getting the little green line backlight on the foglight switch says to me it's the switch. Don't waste your time on anything else it's going to be that.

PM me if you want me to repair it and I'll do it for you, did it for MattB he sent them through the post to me.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 5th January 2006, 02:39
I have spare relays/switches if you need them?

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 5th January 2006, 03:32
I have spare relays/switches if you need them?

How much...?

(Will be stored till after April)

yamma1
Thursday 5th January 2006, 08:44
cheers Wobbly - can you pm me with your details and I'll sort out payment.

yamma1
Thursday 5th January 2006, 08:47
"The green based jumper plug is easier (the tall relay). It’s the bottom left hand socket 213 which is colour coded green to match. Once fitted, leave the foot well cover off for the time being."

Excerpt above from J's guide does actually state the socket is colour coded, so yes, the socket is green.

I think I was one of the first to install foglights into a T5 without them, mine being an S70 Ex-plod.

It is often faulty parts supplied by Volvo that are the problem - I know it's hard to believe but several people I've helped get their fogs working have had the same problem every time. Either the switch doesn't work or the green jumper 213 is configured for the Japanese spec lights i.e. the fogs are only permitted to work when headlights are on, fog lights are on AND main beam is activated.

The fact you aren't getting the little green line backlight on the foglight switch says to me it's the switch. Don't waste your time on anything else it's going to be that.

PM me if you want me to repair it and I'll do it for you, did it for MattB he sent them through the post to me.

thanks for the offer and advice Dave - Wobbly Dave has the switch and relays for sale so I'll try that option first.

DaveS60D5
Friday 6th January 2006, 00:52
thanks for the offer and advice Dave - Wobbly Dave has the switch and relays for sale so I'll try that option first.

No probs mate switches are internally identical only diff. is old 850 ones were black - so as Wobbly's obviously worked using his switch should fix it.

Change the relays if it doesn't but mine's a stella when it's the switch ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 6th January 2006, 01:49
You buying Dave? :beer:

yamma1
Friday 6th January 2006, 19:02

Dave - looks like you owe Wobbly a pint - put in the jumper switch tonight and was blinded by the light (well from one fog anyway - t'other needs a bulb!!)

Wobbly - I'll still take the switch as a deal's a deal but if anybody needs one I'll have one going spare.

DaveS60D5
Sunday 8th January 2006, 21:52

Dave - looks like you owe Wobbly a pint - put in the jumper switch tonight and was blinded by the light (well from one fog anyway - t'other needs a bulb!!)

Wobbly - I'll still take the switch as a deal's a deal but if anybody needs one I'll have one going spare.

Bugga! The odds were good re: the switch based on past experience but I'll gladly get you one in next time I see ya Dave :) :beer:

MattB
Sunday 8th January 2006, 22:09

Top job done there sir - still need to check alignment as they are after market fogs - any ideas or tips on how to do this chaps (and chap-ess's!)??

Wobbly Dave
Monday 9th January 2006, 02:31

I know that Judge is after one?