PDA

View Full Version : URGENT car wont start HELP!

optimusprimer
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:00
jumping in the 850 after work and it wouldnt start all that happened when i turned the key was the radiator fan started up, engine was stone cold.

when i try to start it all the lights go off and back on again, is this normal? thinking low battery but it is reading a good 12.5v.

is there some sort of imobiliser i may have tripped? just replaced the battery in the key fob, would that make any difference? am i missing the obvious and the starter is a gonna?

any help please, i've only had it a day!

John
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:05
jumping in the 850 after work and it wouldnt start all that happened when i turned the key was the radiator fan started up, engine was stone cold.

when i try to start it all the lights go off and back on again, is this normal? thinking low battery but it is reading a good 12.5v.

is there some sort of imobiliser i may have tripped? just replaced the battery in the key fob, would that make any difference? am i missing the obvious and the starter is a gonna?

any help please, i've only had it a day!

Is it manual or auto, could be starter jammed if manual. Do the usual check earths ect, doea it start with jump leads?

optimusprimer
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:07
its an auto, tried all the bits the manual tells me to do. havent got anything to try and jump it off! battery is on charge as we speak

BlackBeast
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:10
the radiator fan started up, engine was stone cold.

Id also be concerned with that, if the engine is cold then there's no reason for the rad fan to come on!!! Maybe that was the cause for the battery drain in the first place!?!

Engineer
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:11
Have you checked your battery and engine earth's? As voltage would show ok on a battery only meter check.

S60D5
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:23
its an auto, tried all the bits the manual tells me to do. havent got anything to try and jump it off! battery is on charge as we speak

PNP Switch?

Wiggle the gearbox lever from Park to "L" and back again about 10 times - be quite violent with it and do it pretty fast.

Now try again with it in "P" or "N" :B_blite:

bertuk69
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:24
i know its a long shot but try taking out the central locking fuse and then try and start it could be your imobilizer on the blink , its worth a try

John
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:44

Once you have a full charge try again and let us know the symtoms again, is it turning over or not, do ignition lights go out when key turned, click or no noise from starter ect when key turned, can advise better then. You do need to find out why the fan is on though.

optimusprimer
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 20:51
right i'm more confused now! tried to start it a good 10 times, nothing happened, gave the gearstick a nudge to the side and it bloody started! i guess the switch in the box is a bit funny! i tried it a good 10 times and it started everytime! fingers crossed i now know what it is! thanks alot everyone

till next time......................

optimusprimer
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 23:20
just to clarify it is definitely the pnp switch. it wont start but if you tap the gearstick it engages and starts! a trip to volvo very soon methinks :D

thanks again all!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 00:24
right i'm more confused now! tried to start it a good 10 times, nothing happened, gave the gearstick a nudge to the side and it bloody started! i guess the switch in the box is a bit funny! i tried it a good 10 times and it started everytime! fingers crossed i now know what it is! thanks alot everyone

till next time......................Fire engines are prone to that trick lol...starter solenoid could be dicky.

S60D5
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 00:26
just to clarify it is definitely the pnp switch. it wont start but if you tap the gearstick it engages and starts! a trip to volvo very soon methinks :D

thanks again all!

I thought it would be ;)