PDA

View Full Version : What Would Be Nice?

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 08:38
Well its nearly a month since I purchased the car and these are my thoughts so far.

I love the car and its shear boot carrying capacity, its reasonably responsive and is a joy to drive.

On the downside I think a few basics are missing from the design.

1) A lights on alarm to tell you you've left them on.
2) Some form of cupholder would also be extremely useful.

Has anyone else got any gripes on the car?

Also, I'd be interested in your solutions to the cupholder issue as I really miss that on this car. I need something that can take a large cup like the 500ml sized cups from Burger King / KFC etc.....I'm sure you know what I mean. ;)

Thanks.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 08:43
I know on the 70 series basic models didnt have cupholders, higher spec versions had them in the centre rest console which slides out from underneath the lid. No idea if thats the same for the 850 though.

Martinr
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 08:58
The cup holder on an 850 is part of the armrest. Try Salvo and see if they have the top off an armrest from a higher spec car with the cup holder integrated in it.

Lights on? On my car if the lights are in the headlamp position all lights go off and come on with the ignition switch so it is not possible to leave them on. Does yours have the grub screw on the light switch?

Do a search as the lights on Volvos are a constant source of querey on here :)

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:03
The cup holder on an 850 is part of the armrest. Try Salvo and see if they have the top off an armrest from a higher spec car with the cup holder integrated in it.

Lights on? On my car if the lights are in the headlamp position all lights go off and come on with the ignition switch so it is not possible to leave them on. Does yours have the grub screw on the light switch?

Do a search as the lights on Volvos are a constant source of querey on here :)

Thanks Martin, the cupholder info is very useful.
As for the lights on issue, my car lights do go off with the ignition and thats not the problem, its the next day, when I suddenly discover that I've been driving in broad daylight for 12 miles with my lights on. (The dash illumination doesn't show up very well in daylight does it) :)

Martinr
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:11
In the summer I simply turn my lights off. Then if it is dark enough to need them I can see the dash lights :) At least you can't leave them on with the ignition off. In the winter most of my journeys to and from work are in the dark so it isn't an issue for me.

I leave mine on most of the time as for some reason some people seem to have a problem noticing my Black 855, particularly Xsara Picasso drivers, (too busy painting murals on the roof to see me:) )

Does it flatten your battery? I don't have a problem with this and it might point to a charging issue with your alternator or maybe the battery has been replaced for one with an inappropriate capacity. These cars were designed to have the lights on all the time after all :)

fraz13
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:12
Unfortunately Volvo's are designed to run with headlights on constant so you just need to remember and switch off before you get out or just leave them on like most of us do, Side lights on the other hand is a different story, they should also work off ignition or have some kind of buzzer but best way is leave lights on or off.....

Both my S70's have had cupholders but I feel there in such a stupid place a never use them, Mine being auto the handbrakes never used so cans of juice just get shoved between handbrake n passenger seat...

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:24
Does it flatten your battery? I don't have a problem with this and it might point to a charging issue with your alternator or maybe the battery has been replaced for one with an inappropriate capacity. These cars were designed to have the lights on all the time after all :)

I doubt this is the issue with my battery Martin, but its a valid point all the same.

The battery on my car is a Volvo battery and its rated at 55ah, the same as others I've seen, so i assume that the issue is more to do with either the battery being old or my alternator not working properly.

I'm in the process of searching for an alternator as we speak (now every company is open again), hence my other post asking for useful links to suppliers etc. The only place I've been able to find a new alternator over the festive period was Halfords, or should that read Halfrauds at £197.00!!!!!

Martinr
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:26
Salvo!! 10% discount for forum members :)

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:28
Salvo!! 10% discount for forum members :)

But aren't all those parts second hand ones off scrapped motors? I'd rather buy new and have a guarantee and some life expectancy rather than have one that I will have no idea if it will only last me a few months.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:29
GFS or ECP ;)

x

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:31
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

x

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 10:08
http://www.gsfcarparts.com/

http://www.eurocarparts.com/

x

thanks, just got myself a new 100amp alternator, Bosch 72ah battery and tailgate struts from GSF. I also got a 10% discount for club membership. :D

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 10:22
Seeing as i was on a bit of an ordering whim, I also just got in contact with Volvo and ordered a strut brace...yippee!!!

I've now got the following to fit to the car:

HIDs
Strut brace
Koni sports kit suspension
Rear spoiler
Grille
Alternator
Battery
Speakers
Amplifier

I think I'm gonna be busy. :D

Martinr
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 10:23
It's a win win situation for you as they also do an extensive range of competitively priced Beemer bits too :)

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 10:25
It's a win win situation for you as they also do an extensive range of competitively priced Beemer bits too :)

Yeah, I knew all about GSF before.....I just forgot about the Swedish part of the German, Swedish and french. lol

lance
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 11:14
My 1972 Rover 2000 had a "you have left your lights on warning buzzer "so did my 1989 skoda estelle and my 1984 Vauxhall Cavalier.
But neither my T5s or T6 have had them, I have my day running lights off, unfortunatly I regularly leave them on by accident.
My only other gripe is water on the roof coming through the window 1st thing in the morning whilst im having a Fag.
But these are very minor gripes that because the rest of the car is so good I can live with them!