PDA

View Full Version : 302mm carriers :)

BlackBeast
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:03
As some of you may know i was going to try and get some Porsche 996 GT2 callipers but ive put them on the back burners for now due to cost and finding the right people to make custom parts for them to fit, i may still do so, but not for a long while.

Instead, ive gone and bought a set of 302mm carriers ready for my brake overhaul, at the same time i will be fitting some Goodridge stainless steel brake hoses, painting the calipers and carriers red, getting some tidy racing pads (Pagid most likely), im not sure on which discs to get yet.

At the same time I will be doing the rear brakes also with the Goodridge hoses and caliper painting.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:22
Personally I think you'd be better off getting a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads and plain Zimmerman 302 disks.

fireclown
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:24
Personally I think you'd be better off getting a set of Ferodo DS2500 pads and plain Zimmerman 302 disks.

thats what i have just gone for. had to order new caliper mounts but once there out of the way, replacement shouldnt be to bad.

jp850R
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:27
Blackbeast,
What do you need made exactly?(for the porsche calipers)

Wobbly Dave
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:27
Here are some destructions on the conversion...

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6695

I did the upgrade on an 850.

fireclown
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:30
do you need to fit different flexi hoses?

hamish
Monday 2nd January 2006, 17:44
Hi,

You do need new front brake hoses (approx. 1 inch longer).
We stock them in braided in either a Kit (to do all 4 corners) or for the financially challenged just as a front pair.

Regards,
Hamish.
The better looking half of Volvo Tuning !
Tel: 01527 577710

P.S. We also have all of the other brake kit you need: 302 mm Hangers, Ferodo Pads, Brembo Discs, EBC Pads, EBC 'Turbo Groove' Discs, DOT5.1 Brake Fluid etc, etc.

After_Shock
Monday 2nd January 2006, 18:00
Avoid the Pagid pads if you can, they are excellent at stopping the car which is no bad thing but the rate that they eat discs is scary, DS2500's are a much better all round choice.

Tomcat
Monday 2nd January 2006, 21:07
Hamish, can you list prices for the conversion please. I want to fit them onto my new car.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:18
Avoid the Pagid pads if you can, they are excellent at stopping the car which is no bad thing but the rate that they eat discs is scary, DS2500's are a much better all round choice.

After Shock, can you tell me which model of Pagid pad you are refering to, which discs were used in combination with it and on what car?

Hamish/Adam, can you let me know the prices on the Goodridge stainless ends set of 4, the brembo discs, zimmerman discs and the various ferodo pads please either via pm or on this thread, thanks.

BlackBeast
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:26
Blackbeast,
What do you need made exactly?(for the porsche calipers)

If your doing it properly then youd need to get brackets and bells made from scratch and also the end of the brake hose to fit the brembo caliper. With this setup you use GT2 rotors and pads.

jp850R
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:43
Please forgive my ignorance could u elaborate more on bells? (not sure if im thinkin of the right part!)
(p.r there is a perfectly good reason for me askin)

jp850R
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 10:33
Also to anyone on the forum, does anybody have the dimensions for the brackets and bells?(if the bells are what i think they are)
p.s sorry for goin off at a tangent!

BlackBeast
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 16:01
No problems Jon, on a single piece brake disc the bell is the centre part that bolts onto the hub. So, on the Porsche twin piece you have a seperate rotor and bell, these have to be mounted together via small nuts and then the bell is mounted onto the hub.

Any standard brake disc will give you the dimensions of the PCD, what you have to be aware of is how much larger the Porsche/Brembo calliper is and therefore you have clearance issues with many alloys (some 18" alloys will not fit due to the internal clearance), so the bell cannot just be the depth of a standard disc, it has to encorporate a spacer if you will to take the wheel away from the caliper. It wouldnt be good enough just to bolt a spacer onto the bell, the bell itself should be deeper thus reducing stresses on wheel bolts which have to be longer in any case.

Hope that helps.