PDA

View Full Version : Forged pistons?

bowman
Friday 30th December 2005, 20:24
I have taken the liberty of stripping my very high mileage engine (245k), and will be replacing all the internals. Does anyone know of any off the shelf forged pistons for the B5234T5 motor?

Also has anyone sucessfully fitted the stronger rods form the 2002- B5254T4 motor? I told they are supposed to be uprated?

I obviously want to fit the strongest possible parts.....
Can anyone help?

spesh
Friday 30th December 2005, 20:35
Pistons anit the main cause of failer with the T5 the rods tend to bend, you can pick up a set or forged rods and pistons for just over a grand, or like what I have done, fitted S60R rods and pistons, which are far stronger the T5 rods and pistons. Or you can put post 1999 rods and pistons in out of a T5 as they are slighty stronger the post 1999

jross
Friday 30th December 2005, 21:36
Yep, I can get you off-the-shelf Forged pistons from Venolia in any size you want, just email me- jross [at] volvospeed.com . You're probably looking at a ballpark cost of 500 pounds for a set (including shipping and duties), but I'm investigating shipping options right now. I have a pair of custom .20 overs going into my engine, and another set being made for a member of Volvospeed who's getting them made as drop-in replacements. I should also be able to do higher or lower compression ratios and the like if you want.

Also, like Spesh pointed out, the weak point on these is rods, not pistons. If you want, email me with any questions you have.

bowman
Saturday 31st December 2005, 00:21
Thanks for the info. I had heard the rods where the weekest part. I dont think i would ever run enough power to need to forged pistons, but I dont fancy putting in standard ones then two years later wishing I had! (it happened to me with my cav turbo!) £500 sounds great, dont think a slightly lower compression would hurt either!

Anyone on the forum running running big bhp? by that I mean 350bhp-400bhp? If so, what managment?

spesh
Saturday 31st December 2005, 00:25
Im running 300bhp@ the wheels, with standard volvo managment.
As said b4 many times, you wanna change the rods b4 pistons, pistons will take over 400bhp, rods wont.

BlackBeast
Saturday 31st December 2005, 00:28
Anyone on the forum running running big bhp? by that I mean 350bhp-400bhp? If so, what managment?

Spesh is running big power, running custom RICA management.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 31st December 2005, 01:07
I was running reasonably big power - custom RICA management. Then I decided to use the new version of Volvo ILS.

volvotuning
Saturday 31st December 2005, 01:37
Then I decided to use the new version of Volvo ILS.

...which didn't quite work properly on the maiden flight!

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 31st December 2005, 14:39
...which didn't quite work properly on the maiden flight!

Adam.
The flying was fine - it was just the landing was a bit sketchy

spesh
Saturday 31st December 2005, 15:39
This is what you want, nice shiney ones like my one in my block.
What u dont wont is what happened to my old rod and piston.
Nice shiney set just over a grand, see over 500bhp no worries