PDA

View Full Version : 850 Service Light!

audimadmike
Friday 30th December 2005, 10:18
I filled up with some 97 super last week first time ever, didn't notice any difference except after about 20 miles the service light came on. It has varied on and off since.
How does the car detect a service may be due (which it isn't) and could it have been caused by the ECU detecting different fuel and making adjustments??

What takes the light off apart from removal!..

cheers
Mike

and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all

fireclown
Friday 30th December 2005, 10:25
i think the light is linked up to your ecu. and it has got to the milage were a service is due. even tough you probly just had one. it just needs resetting. 2 min job with the proper tool.

Vikingxl
Friday 30th December 2005, 10:27
Im sure there is a thread on here on switching it off because i used it for my v70 if you havent found it by this afternoon i will try to find it for you.

Vikingxl
Friday 30th December 2005, 10:39
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2050&highlight=service+light
Try this or i believe there is another one somewhere posted ages ago by Bracer but I havent found it yet

Vikingxl
Friday 30th December 2005, 10:42
Found it try this one as well mate
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=246

audimadmike
Friday 30th December 2005, 11:53
Thanks very much for all the help.

Will have a look at it later.

mike

bertuk69
Monday 2nd January 2006, 19:26
strange thing is im convinced that the service light has something to do with the clocks on the dash, not the ecu, i may be wrong here but i recently had a seat fire, (faulty thermostate) which melted the steering wheel dash clocks, plus sunroof and seats, i gutted the car and replaced everything from trim to leather seats and full dash, what im on about is when i put in replacement clocks the service light iluminated and went out after a few mins, my original clocks back in again, service light came on with the ignition then straight off ? so i tried another set of clocks, service light on all the time ?final set of clocks put in service light on, seconds later off as it should do,now i might be wrong but im convinced its the actual milage on the facia clocks that prompt the service light on i maybe wrong but after trying various clock facias while refitting a complete dash that was the conclusion i came to.

chriskay
Monday 2nd January 2006, 22:45
If I remember right, when a service is due, the light comes on & goes out again after a couple of minutes. I'm sure it's driven by the ECU & takes into account factors other than mileage.
Cheers, Chris.

shiney
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 09:58
Most cars with ECU's take into account your mileage and how you drive the car. There is no predetermined timescale for a service, its all to do with how the car has been driven according to the ECU.

If you are a potter about town person, you'll get a different service interval from that of a 'foot to floor' motorway driver.

It all depends on how hard you work the engine as to how often it needs looking after.

audimadmike
Tuesday 3rd January 2006, 10:06
Strange thing is now, its not on so often but the water level light is on frequently although the level is fine. This light started showing itself after I drained the cooling and replaced the anti freeze, I've done about 1500 miles since. The level is fine and the temp is fine.
I've used the car for about 12000 miles and serviced it about 8k ago.
I will be changing the oil soon but the rest is fine and can wait!

Mike