PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Questions

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 19:02
How will I tell if I have this self leveling suspension I keep reading about?

I'd like to lower my 850 T5 estate about 40mm and wondered if anyone could offer me some advice or even better some help?

I'm based in the Portsmouth area but would obviously travel a little too.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 29th December 2005, 20:50
PM your registration no. to waxworks and all will be revealed ;)

x

volvolised
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:02
Hey shiney, Forget about the nivomat etc, a cheap and ex set up is the koni sports package which is fully manual adjustable and lowers 50mm max, and get this, it's only £380 from www. larkspeed delivered

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:08
Hey shiney, Forget about the nivomat etc, a cheap and ex set up is the koni sports package which is fully manual adjustable and lowers 50mm max, and get this, it's only £380 from www. larkspeed delivered

Now I'm really going to show my ignorance.....What's nivomat? Is that the self levelling system?

Thanks for the Koni advice, that sounds ideal.

volvolised
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:17
sorry buddy, nivomat is the self leveling suspension system on our cars but you will find as i did reading the threads from the other members that your better off forgeting the self levelling bit unless touring with a caravan frequently. I have the koni set up and i will say that add a strut brace and you will love it

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:28
Is it an easy job to change the suspension setup on a volvo? The BMW M3 that i also have was dead easy.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2005, 00:00
I will happily come down and show you how to do the lot/help with it. Just give us a shout.

ash
Friday 30th December 2005, 10:56
lets us know what upgrades you do to your suspension, im looking to have my 850 lowered so would be interested in your set up. there is another thread here somewhere, explaining how to check for nivomats

siamblue
Friday 30th December 2005, 17:14
Shiney it is only 3 nuts and the spring and shock is in your hands, You can get cheap replacements rears for £29 each side, lowered springs are around the £100 mark for fronts and rears.

Gary

shiney
Friday 30th December 2005, 21:48
Shiney it is only 3 nuts and the spring and shock is in your hands, You can get cheap replacements rears for £29 each side, lowered springs are around the £100 mark for fronts and rears.

Gary

I know its a bit cheeky to ask but could you posibly write me an idiots guide?
Also, is there anything else worth replacing at the same time? I assume top mounts would be one thing? Are these expensive? Thanks.

Engineer
Friday 30th December 2005, 22:12
[QUOTE=shiney]I know its a bit cheeky to ask but could you posibly write me an idiots guide?

You taking the mick or what? lol :hilarious take siamblue's advice or Wobbley up on his offer, it don't get much better, well almost not lol :insane:

siamblue
Friday 30th December 2005, 23:35
The top of the nivo is a big nut about a 19mm i believe,behind the rear seats on the left and right behind the trim panel is access to the top mount just undo the centre nut not the small ones unleess you want to check the top mounts out?, the lower strut arm is a 18mm, took me 5 minutes to get the shock off, and the spring mount lower nut is a small one can't remmeber off hand about a 13mm jack up the spring seat, then knock the body of the shock with a hammer it will then come away from the tappered shaft, put a bottle jack under the spring seat before you take the shock off then either raise the car or lower the lower mount and take the spring and bumpstop and top mount rubber out in one piece.
It's so easy even Blunkett or Moppy could do it...

Top mounts are cheap and so are the rears shox if going via Euro car parts.

Gary