PDA

View Full Version : Estate Tailgate Woes

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 18:27
For the last few days, I've had the estate tailgate drop down on my head (ouch), a painful experience.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell what might be wrong with it?

I can't see any gas struts, so I'm assuming that the car doesn't have any?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and possible fixes.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th December 2005, 18:49
There are struts... There under the roof lining.... THere's a few cars that are being stripped on Ebay at the mo. Should cost you about £20-30 inc delivery.. Or try Salvo..

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 18:53
There are struts... There under the roof lining.... THere's a few cars that are being stripped on Ebay at the mo. Should cost you about £20-30 inc delivery.. Or try Salvo..

Thanks, I'm sure that new ones won't be very expensive, I'll get a new set from somewhere like GSF.

mraldonnelly
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:24
New ones shouldn't be more than twenty quid each. Check out ECP, GSF or PFV. Easy enough job but might be worth getting a mate to help - you'll need someone to hold the tailgate up.

Do one at a time.

Remove speaker covers in rear pillars to allow a better grip on the trim.
Unclip trim from rear pillars , up and along roofline to rear door. You don't need to remove the trim completely, just let it hang down.
Struts should now be visible. They are easy enough to remove and are fairly self explanitory once you see 'em. No bolts to undo or anything. Start at the tailgate side - you may need to move the tailgate up and down a little to remove the strut.
Remove strut from fixing inside car and withdraw.
In the words of Mr Haynes - refitting is a reversal of removal.

Regards

Andy

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:30
Thanks Andy, I'll get a couple on order.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th December 2005, 22:21
You'll have to let me know how much you paid, cos these are quite chunky items (I have them in my garage and no you can't have them)...estimating value based on size and the Volvo mark up these may cost a lot more than £20.... and I can't find them on PFV or ECP don't know who GSF is....??

But then again I maybe wrong.....

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 22:33
GSF = German Swedish & French

http://www.gsfcarparts.com

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 29th December 2005, 22:41
V87727 TAIL GATE STRUT 850 Estate £17.50

oooohhh I take it back.......Mine were still cheaper ... :insane: which is good....but you got me panicing when reading the other thread

shiney
Friday 30th December 2005, 21:56
I've also discovered a little something else too. My boot interior light has also started to play up. It now comes on but remains on in the switch position where its only meant to work when the tailgate is open.

Has anyone else had this fault?

I'll look into it over the weekend.