PDA

View Full Version : A few problems with the new motor

Tomcat
Thursday 29th December 2005, 00:06
Right guys, before I dig out the Haynes manual can any of you give me an idea as to whats up with the new car?.

I get a bit of a clunk when I first move off in first gear, if I then stop and go to reverse I get another clunk.Sounds like its coming from the near side of the car, is it likely to be a drive shaft or an engine mount maybe?.

The accelerator pedal seems a bit stiff compared to my auto, I've checked the throttle itself under the bonnet and that seems ok, so is it likely to be the cable thats at fault?

Upon closer inspection I've found it has an MBC fitted, not being familiar with these I dont really know how they're plumbed in. I've revved the car up and it doesn't seem to be producing much boost, is it likely that its just been turned down?, I tried to move the knob on top of the MBC but can't budge it by hand.

Theres a lot of noise coming from the power steering when turning, I've checked the level and its slightly over full. Is this likely to be the cause( i.e. excess pressure) or is it more likely to be a knackered pump?. The steering also seems a bit vague and wonders a bit, but that could be down to both front tyres needing some air.

Any and all help appreciated, I'm not in any big rush to get this new one on the road as I still have my auto, but I'd like to make a start rectifying things in the new year if possible.

gazjacko
Thursday 29th December 2005, 01:19
check the top mount(s) for movement. I had similar noises (creaks not clunks) but when I jacked the car up to check for bearing/lower arm wear I could find no play anywhere. I worked out later that the weight of the suspension dropping as the car was raised was masking the play in the top mount. It became more noticable as I found I was braking early to settle the suspension before corners! Lift the bonnet and carry out a damper check pushing down on the wing, if the mount has any play in it you should see it then.

BlackBeast
Thursday 29th December 2005, 10:19
Regarding the MBC, a turbo car will not produce any boost when stationary un less the driven wheels are up in the air (front of the car is on axle stands), you will have to go out for a drive to see how much its boosting too.

ash
Thursday 29th December 2005, 10:58
check you top mount for the clunk noise, but also when you move from stationary, you get a clunk as the disc's and pads seperate.... but only the one time when you move off after being stationary for some time

Tomcat
Thursday 29th December 2005, 12:49
Its not the top mount, I checked that before I wrote this....

Its definately not the brakes, sounds like a worn driveshaft or ballljoint somewhere.

swordy21
Thursday 29th December 2005, 12:52
Its not the top mount, I checked that before I wrote this....

Its definately not the brakes, sounds like a worn driveshaft or ballljoint somewhere.

CV joints?

hamish
Thursday 29th December 2005, 13:18
Hi,

Swordy, have you had a good look at the rear engine mount (Passenger side) I've seen plenty of these that are either loose, bolts missing, mounting broken. Or perhaps it's Passenger side top suspension mount, (common fault).
Best bet is to get it on a ramp to check both.

Regards,
Hamish.

P.S. Bin the MBC and get the job done properly!