PDA

View Full Version : Oil seeping from intercooler

Gwaredd
Monday 21st February 2005, 18:54
Whilst doing the horns mod & re-drilling my airbox this weekend, I noticed that oil was seeping from the top right (as you look at it) end of the intercooler. Upon removal of the intercooler pipe (intercooler to inlet) there were traces of fresh oil.

This could be down to the blocked breather (front of engine) box I had a few weeks ago, but I'm clued up enough to know that this could spell turbo trouble, as well as a leaky intercooler, because if oil can seep out, I'm sure as hell that air can.

Trouble is, the car runs fine. No blue smoke & boosts up great. I think I'll just monitor it & see if it develops into something worse!

Anyone had similar problems? Is it common?

Cheers for any help,

Gwaredd.

Justin
Monday 21st February 2005, 19:29
Mostly it will be down to breathers, there is a drain hole in the bottom of the intercooler anyway for such things :)

Gwaredd
Monday 21st February 2005, 22:35
Ah, splendid. I've a feeling that some breather tubes need a good blow out around the turbo area.

On a different note Justin, when you drilled your air box, do you get a dump-valve type whooosh when you blip the throttle (i,e, from under the bonnet) now? I've noticed it's a tiny bit growlyer, but a heck of a lot more whoooshy!

Oh, by the way, my horn wires were taped up in a 'T' loom, so were'nt able to simply 'drop down', it was a complete 'mare. Still, got there in the end. Wonder if it's an early T5 thing?

Cheers,

Gwaredd.