PDA

View Full Version : lowering springs

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:48
hello all

im looking to lower my t5 estate, i have checked and luckily have no Nivomats so all i need are: springs and shocks...right??
im gonna change the springs first off and would like suggestions as to the best one to replace with, and if anyone knows of a good workshop who can carry out the work for me in birmingham. Also a guide price to this mod??
Next will be a strut brace and if i can get hold of some vloans.
any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

ash

fraz13
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:51
Eibachs are probs best springs but at roughly £200 there are cheaper options

Good luck on the Volans search, they must be the rarest wheels out there

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:53
Eibachs are probs best springs but at roughly £200 there are cheaper options

Good luck on the Volans search, they must be the rarest wheels out there

I take it Nivomats ar eteh self levelling suspension units on the rear of teh estate..how can i quickly tell if mines has this and is it easy to discard?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:56
I have found some DIRT cheap spring for the 850's by Jamex (?) anyone heard of them?

x

fraz13
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:59
Yip av heard of them and heard there good

The Flying Banana
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:59
I have found some DIRT cheap spring for the 850's by Jamex (?) anyone heard of them?

x

I used Jamex alot on Fords,BMWs and VWs and never had a problem with them, they had a good poundage usually and stayed firm and never snapped a coil on a Jamex spring yet

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 12:01
check out an earlier thread in the 850 sections called "self leveling or not', on page 2 of this thread there is a quick method to check from your VIN number, and also a visual inspection:
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5201

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:05
anyone know any local places that sell and fit Jamex springs?? or maybe, has anyone fitted lowering springs, is it a DIY jobbie that a competaent DIYer could do?? any special tools needed?

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:08
£64.69+ £9.00 postage http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/

x

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:16
Mrs M have you fitted these to your car?? whats the ride like and does the car physically look lower?? are still using standard Perfo 16" wheels or uprated 17"??

t5 stealth
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:32
i lowered mine 40mm,
cant remember what make they were but they cost £100.00 inc vat.
makes car look much better & handling is improved,
as for strut brace you can get the proper 1 from volvos,
they call it a spring & its only £64.00 i think,
it wasnt expensive as volvo parts go,
as for fitting springs yourself you dont need any crazy tools,
just a coil spring compresser for the front,
the rest is basic mechanics,im sure you could work it out as you remove bits,

Mrsmopp
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:34
I haven't lowered mine but will be fitting the jamex springs to the 850 I just bought to play with

x

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:54
t5 stealth, do you have any pics, im curious to how it will end up looking?

t5 stealth
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 16:35
yes mate,,u can im me if you want ,,il email u a pic

Vikingxl
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 18:12
If you want it done locally mate try Volvo tuning at Bromsgrove they did mine for me and its only a short drive.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 29th December 2005, 00:32
I can heartily recommend the upgrade from Volvotuning.

ash
Thursday 29th December 2005, 11:08
thanks for all the replies... may pay VT a visit

hamish
Friday 30th December 2005, 19:40
Ash,

We've got the Eibach springs in stock, we can get others to order next day, as with every thing the best quality is not the cheapest ! These a dodle to fit (with the right tools and equipment (so we don't charge fortunes !) We also carry all the drop links, bushes, mounts etc in stock so if they need replacing on inspection you've got the option. If you want to dive a car with Eibach's I have them fitted to miy own car. The make of spring you want depends on what sacrifices you want to make in the comfort of your ride.

Give me a call at VT 01527 577710 or PM me.
Regards,
Hamish.

Bison
Friday 6th January 2006, 16:20
I've got the Eibach 30mm springs on my 850 T5 Saloon. I am very happy with the handling, the ride is quite hard but I do have 35 profile tyres which doesn't help. Not sure what handling will be like on the Estate or with standard rims. The only thing I do not like is the way it sits. Because the back arches are lower than the front ones the car looks higher on the front. So to me it doesn't look right. However I may have found a solution to this as I want to go lower anyway.

New 60/40mm Lowering Springs click here! (http://www.potn.co.uk/-_c1473_3207_6511_7223_p1305543.htm)

These springs by FK, the lowest I can find, lower the front 60mm and back 40mm which is supposed to really help with traction (FWD) and also cornering and should even the look of the car out. These are for the saloon, not sure if they make them for the estate. However if this is not for you but you want lower than the 30mm Eibachs, Partsforvolvosonline are doing 40mm springs at a very good price.

Bison

t5tart
Friday 6th January 2006, 18:05
good write up on the front shocks here

http://members.shaw.ca/heeeeee/strut/

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 7th January 2006, 00:31
Quick comparison of mine against a 2.0L V70

PICCY (http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/low%20car.jpg)