PDA

View Full Version : advice required on a few niggly problems

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:44
Hi all

i have 1995 850 T5 estate with a few minor problems:
1. the heated seat do not work, the fuse is ok, the light comes on when the button is pressed but nadda!! any ideas?? wiring looks ok
2. i have an intermittent light come on the dash, its a circle with an exclamation mark in the middle and what look like brake discs on the outside (red). this light comes on from time to time and goes out on its own accord.
3. the front wipers work but constantly only, the intermittent wiper does not work at all.
4. the rear wash wiper was not working, but i think that is down to the motor.
thats it for now, if any one can help, then please do.
thank you in advance for any response....

ash

fraz13
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 11:48
The heated seats had a recall on them in 850's so mibees worth a trot to the dealers

The light that comes on sounds like the brake fluid is low

Sounds like the wiper switch could be worn

Redbrick
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 12:10
Hi all

i have 1995 850 T5 estate with a few minor problems:
1. the heated seat do not work, the fuse is ok, the light comes on when the button is pressed but nadda!! any ideas?? wiring looks ok
2. i have an intermittent light come on the dash, its a circle with an exclamation mark in the middle and what look like brake discs on the outside (red). this light comes on from time to time and goes out on its own accord.
3. the front wipers work but constantly only, the intermittent wiper does not work at all.
4. the rear wash wiper was not working, but i think that is down to the motor.
thats it for now, if any one can help, then please do.
thank you in advance for any response....

ash

1 Could be the wires going into the seat (very fragile)- but you say the wiring is OK.. If you haven't had the heated seat recall done then I wouldn't use them anyway! Chestnuts roasting on an open fire ;)

2 ?

3 wiper relay or switch

4 I thought the motor had failed on mine but it turned out that the spindle had seized where it passes through the glass. I cleaned it up and it works fine again. If it is the motor I have a spare one that I bought to replace mine.

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:10
nope its definately the motor, the spindle seized and the motor fried itself... i opened it and the bushes are shot and the plastic has all melted..#
how much for your spare motor, i need it delivered to brum, can pay via paypal if thats any help....

Vikingxl
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:27
Another birmingham member!

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:37
yep, im in central birmingham

Vikingxl
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 14:40
Sorry about the off topic bit but where abouts are you there are quite a few of us in Birmingham I'm in Quinton.

ash
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 15:00
i work in central birmingham and live just outside, area: hodge hill

Martinr
Thursday 29th December 2005, 10:41
Another Brummie!!! The Midlands really are T5 central :)

I had the same problem with the intermittent for a couple of days. Turned out to be damp in the relay.

Can easily check if it is switch or relay problem. If it is the relay the wipers will not come on when the washers are operated. If the relay is gone replace it with the VAG version that allows timed intermittent operation. Use search you should find a related thread. I believe Redbrick has one (from memory).

I posted the affected VIN numbers for the seat recall recently. Worth a check everytime.

Sounds like low fluid. If this is OK then suspect something more sinister. Have you got a handbook? Should tell you in there what it indicates. Can't check mine as is locked in glovebox, (since June!!!!). :(

ash
Thursday 29th December 2005, 11:16
thanks for the replies, i will check the fluid level and report back here, the wash wiper is more of an enigma, the wipers do come on when the wipers are operated, so i'll check the damp suggestion...

a locked glove box.... im sure i read somewhere, a way of opening these without use of force or damaging the glove box, i'm sure others on here can help on that issue............... right??

Martinr
Friday 30th December 2005, 21:27
I have print outs of about five different methods of opening the glovebox. Just haven't found time to do it yet :) Took me 4 years to decorate the hall at the last house and I have a Norton Commando in the garage that i took off the road because the clutch was slipping. That was August 1983!!!!!!!!!