PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal in the UK ?

glock19
Monday 21st February 2005, 17:12
To have modifications done on the external bodywork of the car. Not the minor lips, sideskirts or apron but really those seagull wings or widebody type. I've seen quite a number of kit car using the VW engine but that was really way back.

Reason for asking is that maybe an air scoop like the Imprezas could reduce the engine bay heat as the wind from the scoop can really remove the hot air from the Turbo manifold. The vent should be after the cam cover area and just direct cool air to the firewall. If we rely only on the front fan to move the air over the engine, it's still generally very hot under the hood. However I wonder if the air turbulence from the hood scoop would cause the heat extraction from the front fan to suffer.

BTW anyone has pictures of the snail glowing red-hot ?

Adam @ VolvoTuning, If you happen to read this, I have good news in your PM area.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st February 2005, 17:25
Thanks to Justin we now have this to go "ooo!" at

http://www.volvot5.co.uk/volvogallery/albums/My%20EX%20PLOD%20S70T5/normal_13.9.02.jpg

As far as I know scoops and louvres are perfectly legal, within reason

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st February 2005, 17:28
BTW -I think the turbos are designed to handle this heat and as such a small additional airflow will make little difference.

glock19
Monday 21st February 2005, 17:35
OMG, it's gorgeous ..... What boost and what rev and how long can it maintain as such ? I only saw manifolds from the F1 engines (without turbos) in this form. You can practical light a cigar on this one...

Wobbly Dave
Monday 21st February 2005, 17:48
Just use a lighter - it's much easier. :shifty:

Goof
Monday 21st February 2005, 19:21
Ah, but if you're a cigar smoker a mere lighter just will not do!

clive d
Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 21:19
Had a vauxhall signum that hot on an exhaust clean........... it had an irmscher rear box on it and they sit higher up2 the spare wheel housing......... 748 degrees later it caught the car alight lucky the tech didnt leave it running caused a fair bit of damage :eek: :hidesbehi

Gwaredd
Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 21:48
The bonnet scoop on the Impreza's is to push air into the intercooler, as it sits on top of the boxer 'four engine, not in front of the rad like the T5's etc. I've seen turbo's glow so hot (almost white hot) you can see the imperler & turbine blades through the casing!, so thet handle heat no problem at all.

Adding a scoop to cool the turbo will give no peformance gain at all, just slow your top speed down. If you *must* add a scoop, the best one for a T5 would be one that removes the hot air after the rad, sending it out over the bonnet, windscreen, roof & away. (like on a lotus elise, F40 etc) This would have the benefit of keeping the inlet manifold etc cooler, further reducing inlet temps, tho you would need some serious ducting!

Cheers,

Gwaredd.

Justin
Tuesday 22nd February 2005, 21:52
Wise words mate :)

glock19
Wednesday 23rd February 2005, 00:29
Can anyone tell me where's the radiator, fan, intercooler, turbo pipes, etc for Rydell's car ?

volvotuning
Wednesday 23rd February 2005, 00:35
There isn't any of that stuff, so no turbo, no intercooler etc. Why? Well the BTCC race car was a 2.0 normally aspirated unit. And if you look carefully, you'll see the engine sits BEHIND the front axle and not in front like the road car. This is to balance the car properly.

Basically, the BTCC race car bears NO RESEMBLENCE to the road car at all, other than the shape! Contrary to popular belief, the T5, T5R and R models are not race bred.

Adam.

After_Shock
Saturday 26th February 2005, 09:30
With regards to air scoops and performance gains I used to have an astra mk4 1.8 3dr (sorry) but anyway id had an exuahst fitted, air filter and had it superchipped (again sorry!!) however my mate also had a toyota mr2 which had similar mods, the two cars would sit level in a straight line at any speed, their was literally nothing in it.

However I had some bodywork done on the car and one of those things was a bonnet vent (a very subtle one), few days later we had a race with the two cars again, by about 3rd gear I was two cars lengths ahead and into 4th it just kept pulling.

The vent was just above the actual engine so I disagree, from experience a vent would improve performance, im not sure in bhp terms but on a normally aspirated 1.8 it was the biggest performance mod I did so who knows on a 250bhp turbo car.

siamblue
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 04:55
After Shock you mean like this sexy mutha :bow_kneel

http://web.telia.com/~u26214193/P4270085.JPG

glock19
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 07:39
:eek: Fiber hood ? Cosmetics only or functionable ? If the latter, do you go out in the rain/snow ? Would the steam (from the engine heat and water/snow) hinder your view ? :)

Bracer
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 09:44
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:saint: (In a quire boy song voice) :saint:

I love that car !

misterpeck
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 13:04
"cor blimey charlie" where do i get them lights from?
that looks the muts nuts. would be better in an estate and yellow :D

volvotuning
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 13:37
I think the bonnet and front spoiler look rubbish. Lights look ok though.

Adam.

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 19:00
If the latter, do you go out in the rain/snow ? Would the steam (from the engine heat and water/snow) hinder your view ? :)
BT is vented & has been fine in this weather with the snow & rain, you do see alot of heat haze when you stop but it doesn't hinder your vision in any way

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:08
BT is vented & has been fine in this weather with the snow & rain, you do see alot of heat haze when you stop but it doesn't hinder your vision in any way

Since when have you had a vented bonnet Pedro????

And Greg - the lights are from Volvo Performance Tuning in America :wink:

x

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:18
Since when have you had a vented bonnet Pedro???
i didn't say vented bonnet :wink: (i did post about it)

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:22
Think you should read this thread back hun cos you just replied saying you dont have a problem with BT when Glock asked about the vents :rolleyes:

x

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:30
no the bonnet isn't vented hun, the plastic panel the bonnet seals to is (notice the lack of rubber seal in the pic)

http://covcrew.dyndns.org/volvo-850-t5/archive/archive47.JPG

Mrsmopp
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:31
You need to keep off the wine gums Pedro LMSO!

x

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 3rd March 2005, 20:40
You need to keep off the wine gums Pedro LMSO!
you'll be surprised hun, it made a very noticable difference to BT.

I removed about an inch of plastic 3/4 width of the bonnet so its opened up a fair size gap, plus its in the right place because thats where the hot air is being forced

glock19
Saturday 5th March 2005, 01:23
Pedro,
How about noise intrustion to the cabin ? I see your insulation material on the inside hood is gone as well or it matters no more to you ? Frankly speaking, without the fan or air-cond compressor running, my engine db in very soft when idle if you stand beside the car (with the bonnet down of course) and I would like to keep it that way.

Pedro Fandango
Saturday 5th March 2005, 09:10
removing that lip does make engine noise alot more noticable inside (& the lovely smell of oil sometimes through the heater), BT is a noisey bitch anyway so i binned the bonnet insulation aswell

siamblue
Saturday 5th March 2005, 18:25
Pedro you make me laugh,You have more ICE than Alaska and you say BT is noisy so you binned the insulation lol.

adamt5r
Monday 7th March 2005, 17:39
hi there, the btcc cars are non turbo cars??? so no turbo pipes etc etc, the ram air box sticking out the grill is forcing the air in to the throttle bodies that TWR run on the cars, hope this helps

volvotuning
Monday 7th March 2005, 18:22
That is correct - the BTCC cars was NON TURBO.

Adam.

Pedro Fandango
Monday 7th March 2005, 18:52
the 2 litre non-turbo class started off in 1989 running along side the class A 500bhp cars, turbo's were banned altogether for 1990 & thats how its stayed ever since