PDA

View Full Version : SIPS bags

c70mel
Monday 26th December 2005, 14:16
Hey all,

Im just in progress of removing the passenger seat from my 1999 C70. From reading the Haynes manual it talks about inserting the red plastic safety device into the SIPS bag sensor for safety reasons (so it doesn't go off in your face, that would be fun ha)

I cant find a red safety device and neither a SIPS bag sensor module. I have just read that the system was changed mid 90's and now they dont have a SIPS bag sensor as the bag gets a signal from the SRS ECU or somert.

The haynes manual doesn't mention anything about this. I'm just wondering if I should just whip the seat out and not worry about any safety device to stop the bag going off? Also doesnt the seat belt have some sort of exposive tensioner which also needs to be made safe?

cheer for any info on this.

Tomcat
Monday 26th December 2005, 17:14
From memory when I removed the seats on my 96 850 the plastic cover is kept under the tray(thats clipped on)at the side of the seat. The seat belts do have the pre tensioners in them but I had no problems removing them.

rs_andy
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 10:56
I had the same thing when I took the seats out of my 99 S70, no sensor thing on the side of the seat. As tomcat said if there is no red clip thingy clipped under the plastic cover where the seat adjustment handles are then the sensor isn't there and you're ok.

c70mel
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 19:56
I just whipped the seat out taking care not to give it any bangs or knocks with that bomb (airbag) planted in the side.

The SRS light remained on next time I started the engine which makes sense. Just hope the light goes off now as I have put the seat back in and reconnected all the wires.

cheers

BrightonBreezy
Thursday 29th December 2005, 11:13
Really you should disconnect the battery before unplugging any of the airbag connectors.
a) It'll stop an error code being stored.
b) Less chance of you accidently setting the thing off with some stray line voltage when you reconnect.
Volvo (Vadis) recommend that you also attach an earth line from the seat frame back to the car or another sink to eliminate any possibility of static setting it off, but that's not always practical.

c70mel
Thursday 29th December 2005, 15:03
Really you should disconnect the battery before unplugging any of the airbag connectors.
a) It'll stop an error code being stored.
b) Less chance of you accidently setting the thing off with some stray line voltage when you reconnect.
Volvo (Vadis) recommend that you also attach an earth line from the seat frame back to the car or another sink to eliminate any possibility of static setting it off, but that's not always practical.

I did disconnect the battery before removing the airbag connectors. The SRS warning light is still shining brightly and I think the only way to remove the fault is to get the fault codes cleared at a volvo dealer unless anyone knows another way?