PDA

View Full Version : 850 TURBO tuning options.

jasoncurrie
Sunday 25th December 2005, 12:12
Merry xmas everyone,

Might be the new owner of a 850 turbo saloon soon, and I was just wondering what the tuning options were, I have had a search it seems these engines are strong anoth to run to 300BHP standard . Which seems abit unusual because it runs at 225 BHP normally from what I have found out..

why is the engine designed to run far below what it is capable of ? I have also heard about Chipping these cars but I thort with turbos you just raise the boost ?. How much are these chips ? Or can I just get a stainless steel exhaust, good air filter and raise boost ? What sort of BHP could I expect doing just this and can anyone tell me the safe level for the boost is.

Another thing how the hell can this sort or power be managed with front wheel drive I have a 220 turbo at about 190 bhp which is interesting to handle at that power to say the least. Near 250 BHP must be very difficult indeed.

I was also hoping to carry out a compression test on the engine does anyone know what sort of PSI I should be looking at ? and if I am right in thinking there should be less then 10% difference in the cylinders?

Jason.

Vikingxl
Sunday 25th December 2005, 12:20
Best bet is to give Hamish a ring at volvo tuning in bromsgrove
http://www.volvotuninguk.com

splatt
Sunday 25th December 2005, 12:26
hello mate...welcome to the forum..

Yeah...give Hamish a call

The engine as it is will be good for up to about 350 BHP so I understand....beyond that is rebuild time...

All engines are out of the factory to cope with crap fuel...lack of service, poor maintainance....a tuned engine rquires a lot of care....

A simple remap will give you massive power increase and driveability......

Have fun.....

jasoncurrie
Sunday 25th December 2005, 12:53
:P 350 BHP,

There is know way i could handle that,, 250 bhp would be a challenge !!!

I am hopefully looking at this car tommorow and i,m going to bring my trusty compression tester can anyone tell me what sort of psi figures i should expect.

any tips on what to look out for ?

Mrsmopp
Sunday 25th December 2005, 13:03
Welcome to the forum.

225bhp though the front wheels makes for entertaining driving in the wet but the T5 actually handles it really well - you'll have to adapt your driving style a little so you dont end up wheel spinning (its all about timing ;)) everywhere you go. An 850 T5 will handle about 350bhp on standard set up (you will need a bigger turbo mind you) before rods start bending but its not just a case of upping the boost. The cheapest way to get a little more omph is an MBC (manual boost controller) and you can expect to see about 250-260bhp safely with one of these, fit one with care tho as bost spikes can result in bent rods. The best option is a remap (or chip) which will reprogramme the ECU to upgrade the fueling and timing etc along with the boost and allows you to run 300bhp + safely.

x

Al115
Sunday 25th December 2005, 13:20
Hello and welcome...

There are a bunch of options available to you to get more power from the engine - anything from fitting an MBC through to an ECU remap ("chip), bigger turbos, and so on.

MBCs are apparently easy to fit, although require some care as Moppy said. Might not be a bad place to start?

If you do decide to go with the ECU remap / chip, there a number of companies around vying for your money, the most popular being BSR, RICA, and MTE.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Al115
Sunday 25th December 2005, 13:22
Oh, and in answer to your other question... I compression-tested my V70 T5 last year and it averaged 165psi per cylinder. Hopefully that is a useful indication.

Big differences between cylinders mean trouble, I don't know what tolerance is allowable.

jross
Monday 26th December 2005, 00:17
Volvo deliberately developed an engine that could take abuse, which is why you see a good number of T5s with 150k+ miles which are in good shape with just routine maintenance.

That being said, the "safe" amount of power you can push through these is kind of up in the air. I think alot of folks on the forum here are having good success, but my personal experience hasn't been all that great - I blew my motor (see sig) with just ~220whp. Oh well, accidents happen. Just be prudent ;) And the best advice I've ever heard is "don't race if you can't afford to walk away from a disaster"

jasoncurrie
Monday 26th December 2005, 17:53
Hi everyone,

swapped my 220 rover turbo for a T5,

The engine is smooth. a very nice crusier indeed reminds me of an old bmw 735 i once had.

I do think it needs a kick up the back side though, My 220 was on 12 psi with a stainless steel etc [with cat] seemed to have much more grunt. You could get 70 MPH in 2nd much more on the edge as it were.

The T5 i know is heavier but seemed to be lacking push almost as if the engine was,nt trying don,t get me wrong it,s moterway muncher lovley and smooth.

And having started with a rover 420 turbo 4 weeks ago which i bought for £760 i am very happy indeed to have a beast of a t5 sitting outside my house now.

But this old man needs it grunt back does anyone know how much these chips go for. I considered getting mbc for the time being and was also wondering what sort of PSI would be safe. :B_steerin :)

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th December 2005, 17:57
The RICA remap is £280+ VAT (I think) but we get a discount on that for forum members ;) I cant remember what prices the others are but I think they are all similar in price.

x

jasoncurrie
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:03
Hi Jross the cunfuses me ? that at 220 hp your engine blew ? if there good for 300 bhp + .

Does it come down to condition of engine,lubrication, and coolent working correctly ??

jasoncurrie
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:07
but we get a discount on that for forum members

:beer: sounds good, what sort of BHP etc would i be looking at ?

and can anyone recommend good disks and pads for this car, they really will need doing.

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:12
:beer: sounds good, what sort of BHP etc would i be looking at ?

and can anyone recommend good disks and pads for this car, they really will need doing.

You'll get 280bhp and a mountain of torque!!

Pads and disks - the DS2500 come highly recommended from the forum members that use them

x

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:14
Hi Jross the cunfuses me ? that at 220 hp your engine blew ? if there good for 300 bhp + .

Does it come down to condition of engine,lubrication, and coolent working correctly ??

I think he must have been very unlucky as I have been running my last 2 T5's at around the 300bhp mark and they are both still going strong - I haven't heard of anyone else who's engine has given up until they get to silly BHP

x

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:16
http://www.volvot5.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=5751&page=1

jasoncurrie
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:21
Thanks for the info is 280 bhp at wheels ?

and what safe boost level could i run untill i save the pennys, cheers

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th December 2005, 18:26
Nah, 280 @ the crank. You can get the 300bhp map for the 850 but they dont often reach the desired figures as they are 10 years + and its rare to find one thats in true fine fettle. The 280 map nis more of a "safe" map.

I think about 13 psi is a safe setting for your MBC - I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong (its been I long time since I had mine fitted)

x

jasoncurrie
Monday 26th December 2005, 19:10
Now i am cunfused are most BHP given for the crank or wheels ?

Is the rover 220 turbo 197 bhp and say 24 valve senny 205 bhp at the crank as well ?

Sorry if these are dum questions think i need to read up more LOL

Mrsmopp
Monday 26th December 2005, 19:28
Most Manufacurers and Tuners will quote BHP figures at the crank.

x

jasoncurrie
Tuesday 27th December 2005, 01:08
Just took my car out on my privet track,

and i was wondering if these figures seem right,

2nd = 60 mph
3rd = 90 mph
4th = 120 mph [red line]
5th = 140 mph

checked the boost and it is holding at 1/3 into the white ?

It is fantastically smooth what a cruiser but can’t help but think it is a little flat
Is 140 MPH normal ? must admit my old rover 620 Ti did 145 MPH standard so expected a little higher ? or faster to the same speed.

About the boost control,, on the rover 220 turbo I believe it can’t go above 12 psi on standard internals. Is 13 psi figure Max on T5 because the ecu will not allow anymore. Just wasn’t sure why it couldn’t run higher if the chip can over run 300 BHP on standard engine etc.

jasoncurrie
Tuesday 27th December 2005, 01:31
Now evan more cunfused been reading through the search and being overwhelmed with info, But i see some guys on the site are running high boost on standard ECU,,

saw this on one sig,

850T5-96-CD-AUTO-SALOON-mbc-drilled airbox-d/v-cbv removed and blanked off-acc rod 3 turns-21psi boost-std ecu(for now) K+N panel filter-1/4 ml times

and a Member called Pedro running high boost on The standard ECU ??

Justin
Tuesday 27th December 2005, 09:26
Jason :welcome:

There are several members who have no ecu remaps and run high boost, however this generally isnt recommended due to excess pressure on the engine without the correct fuelling. I have driven pedro's car and it was very fierce, ie when boost came on it was violent, great fun but as i said at the time i wouldnt want to drive it to work daily. The best way of getting more power is via a remap, several available as already stated, i personally use volvotuning :)

Figures are always given at the crank by tuners, and by the sounds of it your car is boosting well (3/4 into the white) and "should" produce good power. Do a stage 1 tune up and then get yourself a remap ;)

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 27th December 2005, 13:18

2nd = 60 mph
3rd = 90 mph
4th = 120 mph [red line]
5th = 140 mph

It is fantastically smooth what a cruiser but can’t help but think it is a little flat
Is 140 MPH normal ? must admit my old rover 620 Ti did 145 MPH standard so expected a little higher ? or faster to the same speed.

About the boost control,, on the rover 220 turbo I believe it can’t go above 12 psi on standard internals. Is 13 psi figure Max on T5 because the ecu will not allow anymore. Just wasn’t sure why it couldn’t run higher if the chip can over run 300 BHP on standard engine etc.

You should be hitting nearer the 150 mark as standard (is it auto?)

Try not to compare the T5 to your Rover as they are completely different animals and 13psi may seem low for the T5 compared to your rover but I can assure you it isn't. If you start cranking up the boost too much above that then you do it at your own risk - the car hasn't been mapped to cope with this and you are treading on thin ice. The other thng to bear in mind is that just because your boost gauge says your hitting 18psi (For example) it doesn't mean that your car is able to use it as the ECU will probably be pulling some of that back.

If you get your car mapped (as said before) then your not just turning the boost up your adjusting everything that the car needs to run safely and effeciently at high boost.

x

jasoncurrie
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 01:00
Had a think about it and I know it’s abit of a turn about but I think I’m going to have to give a new home, don’t get me wrong lovely car but I just have not got the £500 I would need for the chip to get the performance I would like. I say £500 as I would like to get a Filter as well as it has a silly cone induction at the Moment.

It’s a great all round car see my Ebay listing and if any members from this site are near the Watford I would be more then willing to Pay for a independent appraisal. I just can’t really afford to run the car with the Petrol and Insurance costs and save for the Chip at the same time.

I was thinking £1500 is a fair price I spent quite abit on my original car to get this including new MOT and Tax, etc But more then willing to consider offers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4600217560&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

lance
Thursday 29th December 2005, 10:22

2nd = 60 mph
3rd = 90 mph
4th = 120 mph [red line]
5th = 140 mph

I reckon a good service and a few tanks of optimax would raise it a wee bit, ie 65 2nd 95-100 3rd 130 4th and 145-150 5th.
Volvo recomend 98 ron for full performance.
My RICA V70 with a 16 T will do 70 mph 2nd , 105-108 3rd 135 4th 156+++ 5th

craig
Friday 30th December 2005, 15:26
hi mate ,ive been down the mbc road and in all honesty it does make a massive differance , but is harsh compared to the rica ecu i now have. if i was in your position i would fit an mbc and pre set the psi to about 5 and you shouldnt get any over boost or bent rods etc and if you want the most out of it give it a service and only use optimax it makes quite a differance in my car. but dont give up on it and try and save for a rica re map and you can have upto 280 bhp at the wheels and over 400 nm of torque .