PDA

View Full Version : Painting the brake carriers

Vikingxl
Saturday 24th December 2005, 01:00
While my car is off the road for a while i was thinking of cleaning up and painting the brake carriers and calipers anyone got any ideas on how to clean them up and what to paint them with?The carriers were new and shiny a few months ago but now look a bit nasty and as im hoping to fit my Titans in the new year it would be nice to get them looking good again.

siamblue
Saturday 24th December 2005, 03:06
Hi Mate, I used carb cleaner to clean mine off, then painted them with Hammerite Smooth,

Gary

Vikingxl
Saturday 24th December 2005, 09:22
Cheers Gary will give it a go i'm thinking of black anyone think another colour would be any good?

t5owner
Saturday 24th December 2005, 12:01
Cleaned mine up with a wire brush and power drill combo then used wilko aluminium paint @ 99p still looks good and no signs of rust as yet

Cheers

stuart

Rufe
Saturday 24th December 2005, 12:10
hammerite is also a good paint to use for these. most important thing is cleaning the surface up before hand though, hard wire brush and plenty of carb spray/brake cleaner will be sufficient. what ever you do though, do not go and buy a caliper painting kit though, they are usually about £20 or something i believe.... there are plenty of good hard wearing metal paints (such as hammerite, which i used) for a lot lot less. a small tin was plenty for all four of my wheels.

Martinr
Sunday 25th December 2005, 13:19
I used Halfrauds Caliper paint to do mine. £9 a tin but I have enough left to do the job 4 or 5 times more!

I brushed mine down then used meths to remove grease. No problems at all.

Mine are yellow which looks good on the black car. Also took the opportunity to paint the hub units of the rotors (not the face the wheel fits on to), did them black which looks nicer than the rust that they were :) Used engine paint to cope with temperature.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 26th December 2005, 23:34
I can help you with it if you so wish

Vikingxl
Tuesday 27th December 2005, 18:31
Cheers Wobbly thats another project for us then!

t5tart
Saturday 7th January 2006, 01:30
think ill be doing mine when i cahnge the shockers

Vikingxl
Saturday 7th January 2006, 09:41
If i remember i will take some piccys and do a how to guide while im doing this.

t5tart
Saturday 7th January 2006, 22:19
who used hammerite how is it holding up ???

T5R+
Saturday 7th January 2006, 23:22
Hammerite (used both smooth & also "rough") - held up amazingly well (>3years).

t5tart
Sunday 8th January 2006, 01:44
excellent
good cheap readily available choice then