PDA

View Full Version : Ice

shiney
Friday 23rd December 2005, 00:22
Ok everyone, I'm new so please make allowances.

I've been trawling through the sections but don't seem to be able to find any sections dedicated to In Car Entertainment. Is there one at all?

Anyway, back on topic, I'm looking at installing an upgrade to my current basic stereo and I wondered how people have installled their subwoofers in the boot area? I hae an estate, so I'd particularly like to get some ideas of what people have done with their 850 estates or similar.

Thanks in advance.

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 00:42
There's plenty of options mate, depends how much work you want to go to.

I've got an 854, and gone for cutting a hole out of my spare wheel well, moutning the sub above the wheel well, and venting the sub to the outside - a mounting known as "infinite baffle" (or "free air", if you read max power). There's huge benefits to this type of system, but I'll be the first to admit that not everyone wants to take a jigsaw to their metal work.

Failing that, you could fibreglass a 12" sub into the spare wheel well, in a sealed enclosure, or make a stealth enclosure at the side/rear of the boot. You could mount 8" subs in the rear doors, or a single 8/10/12 in the passenger kickwell, or... well, the options are endless really. You could go nuts and mount a 12" sub IB in the firewall if you wanted to be really clever.

Oh, this is the correct section btw - there's no dedicated ICE section, as there don't seem to be an awful lot of questions on it. Please feel free to ask more though, it'd make my day ;)

HTH

Mark

t5 stealth
Friday 23rd December 2005, 00:55
hi
i got sub in boot

siamblue
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:00
There's plenty of options mate, depends how much work you want to go to.

I've got an 854, and gone for cutting a hole out of my spare wheel well, moutning the sub above the wheel well, and venting the sub to the outside - a mounting known as "infinite baffle" (or "free air", if you read max power). There's huge benefits to this type of system, but I'll be the first to admit that not everyone wants to take a jigsaw to their metal work.

Failing that, you could fibreglass a 12" sub into the spare wheel well, in a sealed enclosure, or make a stealth enclosure at the side/rear of the boot. You could mount 8" subs in the rear doors, or a single 8/10/12 in the passenger kickwell, or... well, the options are endless really. You could go nuts and mount a 12" sub IB in the firewall if you wanted to be really clever.

Oh, this is the correct section btw - there's no dedicated ICE section, as there don't seem to be an awful lot of questions on it. Please feel free to ask more though, it'd make my day ;)

HTH

Mark

So when the next install issue? we are all awaiting the next instalment :)

Gary

shiney
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:06
I've got these parts to go in the car:

Pioneer AVIC-X1R head unit
Pioneer 6 disc CD changer
Pioneer IPOD interface
Pioneer Steering wheel remote and voice control module

Genesis Profile 4 Ultra Amplifier (4 channel)

Focal 130 VR2 Polyglass Component speakers
Focal 130 CV1 Polyglass Co-axial speakers
Focal 27 VR2 Polyglass Subwoofer

My plans are to install the components in the front doors and dash using autoleads adapters and running them from two channels on the amp.

Installing the co-axials in the rear doors via autoleads adapters and running them directly off the headunit for rear infill sound

Fitting the sub somewhere??? and running that off two bridged channels on the amp.

siamblue
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:09
Hi Paul if you loook at Pedro's posts in the past he has some serious ICE ini his car, 3 12" subs at one stage,

Gary

shiney
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:21
Hi Paul if you loook at Pedro's posts in the past he has some serious ICE ini his car, 3 12" subs at one stage,

Gary

I just saw that post and I think you'll find that they were 15". :D
Its obvious that there are a few ICE afficionados (sp?) on here, so I can see myself asking loads of questions soon. :)

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:31
Gary - not sure what the last I posted up here was mate, but I've been up to lots recently. My amp rack is half done.. will hopefully be finishing the rest of the welding this saturday. Sneak peak: http://www.devgeek.co.uk/myphotos/ice/metalamprack/dscf0097.jpg

I've got my own section on the ICE Cavern forums now, for my ickle install - http://www.icecavern.com/forum/index.php?showforum=46 . It's not 100% up to date, but there's lots of build pics. The SoundDomain site is now defunct.

I've done a stealth 8" sub in my mate's MGTF passenger kickwell: http://forums.mg-rover.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=22755 (yep, we need to cover over the bit of wood that's still showing.. main thing is, people can still fit in comfortably, and the sub is completely invisible)

Also been working on door builds for a mate's Citroen Xsara, which are turning out rather tasty.

Oh, and planning my visit to CES in the States (www.cesweb.org), where I'll be picking up my speakers, the remainder of my wiring, and various other bits and pieces. Can't wait :D

Paul - nice sounding system there :) Only things I'd advise/advise against are:

1) Don't use autoleads adapters - build up your own baffles, secure them to the door skins properly, then deaden thoroughly. Both for front and rear. Plastic isn't a great mounting medium

2) Don't use the stock position for the tweeters. The polyglass tweets are harsh at best.. putting them up there isn't going to help, particularly firing them off the windscreen. It'll probably wreak havoc with staging/imaging, and may even make your ears bleed, literally ;) I'd either go for a custom a-pillar jobbie (easy job for anyone competent with their hands), or down in the kicks... lord knows there's enough space down there.

FYI: my planned system is pretty similar to yours... Jap spec Pioneer headunit and processor, full Genesis amp array (3 * dual monos, 1 * miniblock and a custom one for headphones), 3-way front end and single sub.

Cheers

Mark

shiney
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:40
Thanks for the info Mark.

I've ordered and paid for the autolead adapters and had a feeling that they were metal?

Oh well, at least I'll have a decent pattern to work off for each mount then. :D

Not sure If you're interested, but here's a link to my BMW (http://www.e36coupe.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=51804) and below, you'll see my current install in the M3.

It was like this:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/100-0028_IMG.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/100-0027_IMG.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/100-0026_IMG.jpg

But I changed it to this:
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/IMG_1248.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/IMG_1249.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/IMG_1250.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/IMG_1252.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/sh1ney/IMG_1251.jpg

Pictures aren't great as I took them on my phone. :(

By the way, thats one hell of an amp rack, it looks like its coming on nicely. :)

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:46
Wow, that's a fantastic looking front end install mate, did you do that yourself? If so, you should be very proud - those builds are top!

Glad to have another ICE person on board :D Shame you're so far away from me, but if you ever need a hand, just say the word :)

I'm hoping my install will turn out nice... it better had, I've been waiting almost a year to get it all in (so far!) :D

shiney
Friday 23rd December 2005, 01:52
Wow, that's a fantastic looking front end install mate, did you do that yourself? If so, you should be very proud - those builds are top!

Glad to have another ICE person on board :D Shame you're so far away from me, but if you ever need a hand, just say the word :)

I'm hoping my install will turn out nice... it better had, I've been waiting almost a year to get it all in (so far!) :D

Thanks. I have to admit that I cheated on the front kickwell pods, I bought them in. I was going to make some but in the end, I went and bought somer from a company called Audioscape based in the Ipswich area.

Funnily enough, I'm always up your way as I have many friends from the BMW forum up there. They are based in Sutton Coldfield, Redditch, Kidderminter and Stourbridge. Was actually looking into an ebay buy tonight which I think is from a forum member wobbly dave? He had some shocks and springs etc for sale and was fgoing to try and bid on them all and pick them up when I'm next up there soon.

I've decided on getting some coilovers instead.

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 09:42
Aha, I knew it! lol

If you'd asked me to guess who'd built them, I would have said Audioscape. James' skills are tough to beat. There's probably only 3 or 4 places in the country that consistently produce work of that quality, particularly on the trimming front.

I don't make a habbit of posting my location on forums (for security reasons), but I will say that I live in one of the 4 places you just listed, so meeting up at some point shouldn't be out of the question :) Yep, Wobbly Dave is an administrator on the forum, and also lives pretty close. We have quit a few members around the area.. perhaps we should sort out a mini meet some time?

You should also know that the forum's primary preferred volvo servicing/mods place is up here too, Volvo Tuning, in Bromsgrove (just off J4/J5 of the M5).

Cheers

Mark

shiney
Friday 23rd December 2005, 11:07
Aha, I knew it! lol

If you'd asked me to guess who'd built them, I would have said Audioscape. James' skills are tough to beat. There's probably only 3 or 4 places in the country that consistently produce work of that quality, particularly on the trimming front.

I don't make a habbit of posting my location on forums (for security reasons), but I will say that I live in one of the 4 places you just listed, so meeting up at some point shouldn't be out of the question :) Yep, Wobbly Dave is an administrator on the forum, and also lives pretty close. We have quit a few members around the area.. perhaps we should sort out a mini meet some time?

You should also know that the forum's primary preferred volvo servicing/mods place is up here too, Volvo Tuning, in Bromsgrove (just off J4/J5 of the M5).

Cheers

Mark

James and Lee are both great at audioscape, I'm forever in touch with them as I've offered these kickwell pods to other members on the BMW forum after they saw them in my car.

A mini meet sounds good for some time in the new year, but you'll have to give me a chance to start off some of my mods, I can't just turn up with a standard car. :D

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 11:21
Lee, that's his name... I knew there was a second guy, but couldn't remember it. They're always getting praise on talkaudio.co.uk (a good site for you to check out if you're not already there).

Just a suggestion here, but the normal upgrade route is Stage 0 tune (can't remember where it's detailed, but it's somewhere on this site), then RICA/exhaust/ITG panel filter. The site entitles you to a discount from Volvo Tuning for the above.. I bought mine with RICA already added (from Justin, the site owner) so I don't know the full details, but I love her to bits.

Definitely worth looking through the preferred dealers/independants forum, members discounts etc... and looking in to RICA. The full 304bhp upgrade costs well under a grand IIRC, and will give great bhp/torque improvements. Nookie (my car) hit 308lb/ft torque at the wheels on the dyno day we did, with just the RICA/exhaust/panel filters upgraded (and she's covered slightly higher mileage than yours), and a replacement stock turbo which was fitted a year ago. You can choose from the cheaper 280bhp upgrade, or more expensive 304bhp one.. details are given on the Volvo Tuning website which is linked to in the banner ad at the top of the site. I think you'll find that some people recommend only going for the lower upgrade for higher mileage cars, but as I say, I've not had any problems.

If you do decide to make the journey up and get either done, it would make sense to meet up in the evening, and I'm sure we could sort out a few other forum members for a mini meet :)

Cheers

Mark

Martinr
Friday 23rd December 2005, 11:36
Mark just about covered it all. One other thing that is well worth adding is the strut brace. Genuine Volvo part costs about £75 and really improves the handling.

arbee
Friday 23rd December 2005, 12:08
back to the ice...
I'm just about finishing a fairly basic install in the Gul, components in the stock locations (i know, i know...) and at the moment, a standard sealed generic box with a cheapie 12" pioneer. single din headuniit running via a 1/2 din equalizer in the glovebox. The amps are installed under the forwardmost boot floor panel and it keeps it nice and tidy. This alsomeans I have an uniterupted boot just by quickly removing the sub box :)

The amps are 2x 'old skool' phoenix gold jobbies and when the new 2ohm DVC sub comes (slot ported box will be built soon :) ) one will be running 1ohm bridged. That said, cooling may become an issue (amps are updside down) and so I may have to reposition/box/fan the amps in due course....

Looking forward to getting it running and set up saturday :)

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 12:17
Sorry for the slight O/T..

arbee - amps upside down, running at a low impedence, and underneath the floor? That's a recipe for disaster mate (if you're planning on running them hard). The old-skool PG amps are great, and some of them can run to silly-low impedences (0.25ohms etc..), but if you do plan on driving them hard, I'd definitely look at getting some ventilation in there.

Could you re-build the panel out of MDF, cover it in acoustic cloth, and install some fans in it? If so, try building walls around the amp. Minimise the volume of air around the amps means that the fans can replace the air in the amp "enclosure" more frequently, which results in more efficient cooling.. which is contrary to what most people's logic would think. I'd put atleast one 8cm fan pushing air in to the enclosure, and atleast one pulling it out.

Good luck anyway mate :)

Perhaps it's time to ask Justin for an ICE section? :D

arbee
Friday 23rd December 2005, 13:51
Appologies for the continued o/t talk.....

Yeah I thought you might say that.... :)

They wont be run hard for long so I think i will see how it goes for a bit and monitor the temp down there.... The one that is running 1 ohm is one of those that can reportedly cope with .25 ohm loads (It is the same model as the one Marko is selling on TA - MPS2240 :) ) so it sont being stretched to its max....

I have some plans if it does require venting - basically, as you suggest - build a tight box enclosure on the underside of the panel. It will be constructed so that the false floor can effectively be made to not quite sit shut. I'll then provide an in and out fan assisted slot type vent along part of the lenght where the panel sits proud of the rest of the boot floor. Although I'd use 8cm fans the gap would not be anywhere near this big as the fans will sit 'Inside' the vent.

This way, If I need the boot for general junk etc i can close the panel completely flush and not crank it up :) - it may even provide enough cooling using the fans pulling and pushing from the air in the rest of the spare wheel well etc...

Sorry for the slight O/T..

arbee - amps upside down, running at a low impedence, and underneath the floor? That's a recipe for disaster mate (if you're planning on running them hard). The old-skool PG amps are great, and some of them can run to silly-low impedences (0.25ohms etc..), but if you do plan on driving them hard, I'd definitely look at getting some ventilation in there.

Could you re-build the panel out of MDF, cover it in acoustic cloth, and install some fans in it? If so, try building walls around the amp. Minimise the volume of air around the amps means that the fans can replace the air in the amp "enclosure" more frequently, which results in more efficient cooling.. which is contrary to what most people's logic would think. I'd put atleast one 8cm fan pushing air in to the enclosure, and atleast one pulling it out.

Good luck anyway mate :)

Perhaps it's time to ask Justin for an ICE section? :D

mulletboy2
Friday 23rd December 2005, 14:06
Cool, sounds good mate :)

In the config you suggest, a crossflow fan would be more ideal than an axial (regular PC) one... they shift more air anyway, but are much lower in height too. Select Products do them cheaper than Stinger, which are the most common ones: http://www.selectproductsuk.co.uk/selectproducts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page98.html

I picked up 6 last time I was in the states though.. $30 a piece (and yep, I will be using them all, sorry :D ).

HTH

Mark

arbee
Friday 23rd December 2005, 20:02
Cool, sounds good mate :)

In the config you suggest, a crossflow fan would be more ideal than an axial (regular PC) one... they shift more air anyway, but are much lower in height too. Select Products do them cheaper than Stinger, which are the most common ones: http://www.selectproductsuk.co.uk/selectproducts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/page98.html

I picked up 6 last time I was in the states though.. $30 a piece (and yep, I will be using them all, sorry :D ).

HTH

Mark

Cool, yeah I like that fan suggestion!:) would certainly be more effective! - 6 is just greedy tho!

Justin
Friday 23rd December 2005, 20:21
Great thread guys ;) I'll look forward to the mini meet :)

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 20:38
Right, step one is now complete.

I've fitted my head unit, cd changer and Ipod interface. I'm just waiting for the delivery of my speakers and amp.

Engineer
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:15
Great thread guys ;) I'll look forward to the mini meet :)Have to agree Gov just what we needed, now if only I can find those converted 78 rpm, to 33 rpm, to 8 track, to tape, to mini disc, to cd, to mp3 Glen Miller tracks lol :slap:

shiney
Thursday 29th December 2005, 21:17
Have to agree Gov just what we needed, now if only I can find those converted 78 rpm, to 33 rpm, to 8 track, to tape, to mini disc, to cd, to mp3 Glen Miller tracks lol :slap:

Didn't you put them on your Ipod to Ipod mini, to Ipod Shuffle, to Ipod Photo, to Ipod Nano? lol :slap:

arbee
Friday 30th December 2005, 00:12
Right, step one is now complete.

I've fitted my head unit, cd changer and Ipod interface. I'm just waiting for the delivery of my speakers and amp.

cool, got the majority of mine done too, done my amps and components and fitted the old headunit and graphic. only thing is today i've gone and bought a new head unit (first new 'un in 7 years!) so that will have to go in tomorrow with the ipod interface to go with it :)

Just a bit of tidying to do with the RCA lead routing, build my new box and I'll be done! Really impressed with the old phoenix gold amps - better than my newer rockford equivalent!

mulletboy2
Friday 30th December 2005, 00:14
Good stuff guys :)

I've done a little more on the amp/processor/DAB rack, infact it's nearly ready for the final touches... but I've mostly been up to developing the website for a new car audio speaker manufacturer. Website will be released soon, and I'll post up a link. One to watch out for if you have fairly deep pockets ;)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2005, 00:51
Mark, Are we up for a sneaky peaky next Monday?

mulletboy2
Friday 30th December 2005, 01:13
Sadly not Dave mate, I'm off to the States the following morning, so spending that evening down near the airport with Gareth, one of the Rover lads. Will try to make the next one though :)

shiney
Friday 30th December 2005, 01:17
I'm slowly working on the blue interior illumination conversion.

I've managed to do the air con unit, now progressing on the switches. :)

Wobbly Dave
Friday 30th December 2005, 01:18
Sadly not Dave mate, I'm off to the States the following morning, so spending that evening down near the airport with Gareth, one of the Rover lads. Will try to make the next one though :)
I shall look forward to the finished article.

arbee
Sunday 1st January 2006, 15:28
I'm slowly working on the blue interior illumination conversion.

I've managed to do the air con unit, now progressing on the switches. :)
that should look ace when its done, are you doing the speedo/computer display? you using pre fabricated LEDs and resistors or is all from scratch?

shiney
Sunday 1st January 2006, 17:00
that should look ace when its done, are you doing the speedo/computer display? you using pre fabricated LEDs and resistors or is all from scratch?

I'm using a combination of LEDs and normal 12V filament bulbs. I'll post some pictures up when its all done.

The plan is to change all of the green backlit illumination to blue and to change the amber / orange illumination (of things when switched on - like heated rear screen & seats etc) to green.

Vikingxl
Sunday 1st January 2006, 17:41
I'm using a combination of LEDs and normal 12V filament bulbs. I'll post some pictures up when its all done.

The plan is to change all of the green backlit illumination to blue and to change the amber / orange illumination (of things when switched on - like heated rear screen & seats etc) to green.
Do you fancy doing mine for me afterwards?

shiney
Sunday 1st January 2006, 19:49
Do you fancy doing mine for me afterwards?
I'll happily do yours too mate, its real easy.

You'll have to decide what colours you'd want.

arbee
Sunday 1st January 2006, 21:38

sounds great, will be good to see the pics :)

mulletboy2
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 01:52
Sounds good shiney - can't wait to see pics, and I may well be after your help too ;) Although I may be about to change my headunit, in which case there's no need as I'll have white illumination rather than blue.

Anyway, I said I'd let you guys know when the site was finished. We've just officially launched it: http://www.hybrid-audio.com . If anyone's after some great speakers in the coming months/years, give me a shout ;)

Cheers

Mark

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 07:27
I'll happily do yours too mate, its real easy.

You'll have to decide what colours you'd want.
Would like to take you up on your offer i will pm you when i have my car back.Cheers!!

Sicknote
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 12:38
Whilst on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations as to single DIN Hard Drive MP3 players? I know Viking's got one but they don't make em anymore :( Had a look at one that JVC makes and they're hideous.

Thanks!

shiney
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 19:41
Whilst on the subject, does anyone have any recommendations as to single DIN Hard Drive MP3 players? I know Viking's got one but they don't make em anymore :( Had a look at one that JVC makes and they're hideous.

Thanks!

What about the Mstation, now known as the Neo?
http://www.ssiamerica.com/products/neo35/

arbee
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 19:47

Thanks!

What about a ipod - stashed away and linked to a spanking new head unit?

mulletboy2
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 19:48
I used to have an Mstation - not too bad, but I did have a few complaints.

I'd look at Dension:

http://www.dension.com/dmp3_info.htm
http://www.dension.com/dh100ix_info.htm

Actually, I take that back... I'd find out who I have to kill to get one of these:

http://www.uralcdd.com/

;)

HTH

Mark

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:14
The problem with the dension unit is that i dot think they make them any more you can find them advertised but try buying one.If anyone finds one and wants any info on them i have one in my car you are more than welcome to have a look at I've seen them a few times on ebay but they arent that common

shiney
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:15
What's your budget?

mulletboy2
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:20
I've seen them a few times on ebay but they arent that common
There's 2 on there now.. one in France, one in Germany :)

I didn't know that they were discontinued, but I wouldn't let the issue of importing one deter me, as it's how I've bought a lot of my rarer stuff. If the seller replies to an email in English, it's a pretty good sign :)

Vikingxl
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:24
I imported mine, their tech centre speak english and to be honest I've never had a problem i rang them about an extra cable and got it in a few days.

Engineer
Wednesday 4th January 2006, 21:38
It's ice to have a good sound system in the motor, but as proved on the Top Gear hill climb, cars are for driving. T5/R for driving or sound systems? Now check this out...........................been posted before....... :slap:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=32512&page=1 (http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=32512&page=1)