PDA

View Full Version : retro fitting pollen filter to 850 estate

Babybadger
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 13:10
Right thats it! I have heard of scary stories about evap units going funny because of a lack of pollen filters. Does anyone have a detail of how to retro fit one to an 850 estate (LHD I might add)

Cheers

Martinr
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 17:22
Did mine.

You will need a filter holder and of course the filter.

Filter approx 13 quid from GSF, holder is a Volvo part.

Got the number for the right hand drive one at home they are handed I think but dealer should be able to sort it. 20 quid if I remember correctly.

Check for certain you don't have one first:)

Instructions come with the holder, simplicity itself.

Babybadger
Sunday 8th January 2006, 23:07
Do I need to clean the evaporator first?

iGGy
Monday 9th January 2006, 10:20
I took out the heater fan and resistor pack to gain access prior to fitting the filter. A bit of small diameter hose attached to the vacuum hose, a mirror and torch was then used to remove any bits of debris. I took it easy when it came to the evap core itself and gently brushed the fins to dislodge the bits of leaves and twigs off it. I was surprised it was as clean as it was, thought after nine years there would be a lot more in there.

Babybadger
Monday 9th January 2006, 14:49
I took out the heater fan and resistor pack to gain access prior to fitting the filter. A bit of small diameter hose attached to the vacuum hose, a mirror and torch was then used to remove any bits of debris. I took it easy when it came to the evap core itself and gently brushed the fins to dislodge the bits of leaves and twigs off it. I was surprised it was as clean as it was, thought after nine years there would be a lot more in there.

Mine has spent 5 years in a saudi desert, so I will expect a bit of the sandy stuff. I take it this means dashtop off!

iGGy
Monday 9th January 2006, 22:22
This is a glove box out job. Not too difficult to get the kick panels etc off from the passenger side.

No filter in the desert, kinda makes you wonder why not!

Babybadger
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 13:03
Just looked at the weekend and no pollen filter , so retro fit it will be . I must say it did look extremely clean in there, so maybe the evap is ok!

S60D5
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 13:05
Which cars came with pollen filters and which didn't? My '95 850 T5 had one.

chriskay
Tuesday 17th January 2006, 14:01
Don't know which had them as standard, but yours could have been retro fitted, as I did with mine.
Cheers, Chris.

t5tart
Wednesday 18th January 2006, 00:29
so what problems can you get if there isnt one ??

i know mine does not
does anyone have any pics of one fitted so i can take a peek ?

Martinr
Friday 20th January 2006, 10:07
This is a pic of where it should be. Taken before I fitted mine last year.

Babybadger
Monday 23rd January 2006, 13:25
This is a pic of where it should be. Taken before I fitted mine last year.

Ok, when I look into mine its just a volvo cavern going into the bulkhead. Many thanks!

Martinr
Monday 23rd January 2006, 14:36
The holder merely replaces the black plastic part shown in the picture. This simply pulls out.

The holder is rectangular at the top and oval at the bottom to fit the hole. The filter then fits into the rectangular part.

Only tool needed is a torx driver (25 I think), to remove the cover screws.

You can get away with just removing two screws and peeling the cover up a little although the instructions say to remove it completely. I couldn't do this as my strutbrace prevented it and I didn't fancy taking it off:)

Bit fiddly but no real problem.

Just found this as well http://volvospeed.com/pollenfliter.php might make it clearer

Babybadger
Monday 23rd January 2006, 17:38
Many thanks , I think getting filter holder will be the major problem as it's LHD! I will put the strut brace on afterwards then!