PDA

View Full Version : Ty-Croes(Anglesey) Track April 2006

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 05:58
VolvoT5 Forums meet 2006

23rd April 2006 - was£129.00 Now £115.00

Just a quick note to let you know I'm planning to do a track day at the Anglesey circuit in April 2006. It will be an open event probably using a company called TrackAction. Anyone who would consider going would be advised to book early....

They have No confirmed dates have been published yet but I've sent an E-mail to the organisers to try and get the planned dates to see if I can get a block booking since, so far I have 5 friends who what to go on the same day ...(Skyline/Primera/Alfa 155/Vectra GSI/Calibra turbo...and Me)...

I'm sure one or two more may like to join in.... Access to the site would be free to anyone to viewing and from the top you can see almost all of the track...

anyway here are a few pics to wet your appetite.....
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes1.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes2.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes3.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes4.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes5.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes6.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes7.JPG
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Ty-Croes8.JPG

Mrsmopp
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 09:45
Weekday or weekend?

I'd like to come please!!

x

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 10:28
I'll be there - maybe not running but that will depend on what transport there is.

01c70t5
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 10:44
I'll be there... probably just viewing.

arbee
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 11:23
what sort of price does it cost? Never done a track day but I do quite like the look of anglesey circuit!

JUDGENINJA
Friday 23rd December 2005, 02:35
Ty-Croes is one of the cheapest offical Race track in the country. But for a full access as in Open pit day it will cost between £99.00 to £150. Depending on when and which company is running the day...

Plus you've got to consider the wear to the tyres, Petrol, where your gonna stay...
Depending on how many turn up I can put up a few people...

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd December 2005, 02:43
bagsy! LOL
Looking forward to it. Only been to Anglesey once and really would love to come back!

Liddo
Friday 23rd December 2005, 11:49
Put me down too :D Only an hour and a half drive for me :D
Is this the track that 5th Gear uses????

chriskay
Friday 23rd December 2005, 12:50
Put me down too :D Only an hour and a half drive for me :D
Is this the track that 5th Gear uses????
Yes, it is. Been once; found it a bit short for the Volvo. Try Oulton Park if you get a chance, it's great.
Cheers, Chris.

hamish
Tuesday 27th December 2005, 23:22
Hi,

Count me in especially on a week day ! (Need to get some practice for the British Sprint round in June.

Regards,
Hamish.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 01:38
The first company that has responded so far is a company called - CIRCUIT DAYS.

They have offered "THURSDAY 27th APRIL 2006" standard cost £109 -open pit lane....

A few notes to consider :
Free Additional Drivers and passengers (max 4)
Free High speed passenger laps in their Caterham R300
www.circuit-days.co.uk

I'll post up other dates/options as they arise.......

I know that I can confirm about 6 of my local friends and now a few on here (Skyline/Alfa/Calibra..etc) so I've just asked for a block booking discount...

And remember it's free access to the track for all thoughs who are wimps and just want to watch..........so come over for the weekend...

I can help with certain accomodation requirements and will post up any info as I get it....

hamish
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 02:45
Judge,

THURSDAY 27th APRIL 2006" standard cost £109 -open pit lane...

I've put it in the Diary !

Regards,
Hamish.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 02:48
I shall be there.

hamish
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 03:04
I shall be there.

Are you arriving via RAF Valley, next door ?

Regards,
Hamish.

Vikingxl
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 05:44

Regards,
Hamish.
PMSL I will have to pass as i don't think i will be able to drive still at that point.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 28th December 2005, 13:07

Regards,
Hamish.
Hamish, you're a funny man but you aint that funny - LOL

I was hoping for a lift actually :haha:

JUDGENINJA
Friday 30th December 2005, 01:09
I'm still awaiting other date options.. suppose the christmas holidays are getting in the way of e-mails...
I think a final decision will need to be made by Mid Jan for everyone to find accomodation/tyres/book time off (unless your the boss) etc...

PS - sorry to disappoint - but I think that nearly all track days are during the week so you'll probably need to take time off to attend....

Mrsmopp
Friday 30th December 2005, 01:12
I very much doubt I will be able to attend if its a weekday event :( I'll just have to wait for you lot to come over to Brunters instead!! :D

x

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 7th January 2006, 02:25
Just had an E-mail from a company called - BookaTrack.com.

They have offered "SATURDAY 15th APRIL 2006" standard cost £145 -20min sessions -Driver split Novice/intermediate/advanced (not - open pit lane)....

A few notes to consider :
more expensive than Circuit days because its a weekend...
ARDS instruction ar £20 for 20mins in your car
They have cars you can hire for the full day..
www.bookatrack.com

I'll post up other dates/options as they arise.......

So now you've a choice of :
Saturday 15th April 2006 - Sessions - £145
Thursday 27th April 2006 - open pit - £109

I'm still awaiting Trackaction and Track Sport to reply....

BigJC
Friday 13th January 2006, 23:38
There's a few mates from work interested including one girl with a mini cooper s that I'm dying to try (the car not the girl before the comments start).

Weekday would be better, we'll call it erm..a team event!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 14th January 2006, 01:11
It doesn't look like any of the other companies are going to bother replying...bad customer service if you ask me from Track Action and Track Sport.. Shame cos I've used Track action before....

So I'll be in touch with final costs when we know just how many want to come.....cheers for your interest...

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 14th January 2006, 05:05
Id prefer the open pit.

arbee
Saturday 14th January 2006, 20:05
yeah the mid week open pit day sounds best to me but i cant commit yet so dont let me sway you!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 14th January 2006, 20:51
Id prefer the open pit.

So Dave are you bringing a car then...?

Wobbly Dave
Monday 16th January 2006, 03:54
Dunno yet - give us chance! I only just lost the last one LOL

If it is not my own then I almost certainly will try and borrow a T5 from somewhere!

JUDGENINJA
Friday 3rd February 2006, 06:06
just in case you were thinking this thread has gone dead...I've jsut had an e-mail from Circuit days offering a weekend open pit lane on Sunday the 23rd April £129.00...

Is this a better day for people...?

PS - I've just confirming with them today so that we can pick the right day...
(I know that there will be three votes for the Sunday one, based on the fact that one of them has to be on site if a weekday which would mean one of them wouldn't be able to make it)

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 5th February 2006, 23:31
23rd April 2006 - £129

Had E-mail back from Circuit Days due to uninterest the 27th been cancelled. If we had a few more interested (10 or more) then they would have run it specially for us, but nevermind you win some you loose some...

Any way Anyone interested will need to get their 50% deposits to me by the end of the month...
the discount will be worked out on the day.....
You can E-mail me anytime - JUDGENINJA@tiscali.co.uk

arbee
Monday 6th February 2006, 18:05
23rd April 2006 - £129

Had E-mail back from Circuit Days due to uninterest the 27th been cancelled. If we had a few more interested (10 or more) then they would have run it specially for us, but nevermind you win some you loose some...

Any way Anyone interested will need to get their 50% deposits to me by the end of the month...
the discount will be worked out on the day.....
You can E-mail me anytime - JUDGENINJA@tiscali.co.uk
Hi Wayne, glad to see you're still going ahead with this despite the lack of take up lol. Well just so you know, even if I was gonna go (which still wasnt decided!) i couldnt that day anyway lol. Hope you have a fun day out and dont hurt the car too much!
Rich

JUDGENINJA
Monday 6th February 2006, 18:17
No Problem...

I've got 7-9 possibles at the moment from, VPCUK / Saab Central / Club Nissan and work friends.

P.S. - 4 are track day virgins so don't be shy people.....

Also just remembered - Moppy it's a weekend now so are you and Steve coming up......?

01c70t5
Monday 6th February 2006, 18:19
Am still in... don't fancy running just yet though!

JUDGENINJA
Monday 6th February 2006, 18:45
FYI - Here's the list of possibles....nice variety and a few Ty-Croes track day virgins ( the cars are purely guess work)

**THIS IS ONLY A LIST OF POSSIBLES**

VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - Volvo T-5 (hopefully)
Hamish - Volvo V70 T-5
Wobbly Dave - (????) Car to be announced - - probably Volvo

Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - Nissan Skyline R32
RandomGuy - 170bhp Nissan Primera

Saab Central
Matthew - Saab 900 Turbo
SaabStudent - Saab 900

other
Darth Stinky - Alfa Romeo 155

....I can't think any of the others at the mo...

PS - and remember access to the track is free on Track days so even if you just want to come and say hello please do....just look for the group that doesn't have Caterhams/Westfields and lotus's...

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 12th February 2006, 21:04
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - Volvo T-5 (hopefully)
Hamish - Volvo V70 T-5
Wobbly Dave - (????) Car to be announced - - probably Volvo
Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - Nissan Skyline R32
RandomGuy - 170bhp Nissan Primera
Saab Central
SaabStudent - Saab 900
Cyclingnorm-Golf GTI
other
Darth Stinky - Alfa Romeo 155
Claire Scary Driver - BMW convertible
Evening People...

I am now collecting money to pay for this day....
Please either Phone 07900 ****** (easiest number)
or Email me JUDGENINJA@tiscali.co.uk
I can accept Paypal (not the JUDGENINJA e-mail) but Will have to Add the charges on to any discount we recieve...

COME ON YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO......!!!!! (even if your just watching)

JO5EPH
Sunday 12th February 2006, 21:23
This is probably no help to you but.....

....Would I be able to join in at the last-minute-ish??

I hope to have got my volvo by may/april, so if i've still got the funds to I'd most definitely be up for this, but like I said, I wont be able to give much notice so would it still be possible??

Ta

Joe :)

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 12th February 2006, 21:29
to be honest you'll probably miss the boat to get a discount, but let me know anyway and I'll see what I can do...

JO5EPH
Sunday 12th February 2006, 21:44
to be honest you'll probably miss the boat to get a discount, but let me know anyway and I'll see what I can do...

ah well, not to worry!

thanks anyway :D

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 16th February 2006, 03:40
Well I've just had my first girlie racer (Claire from my Factory) added to the list. she runs a BMW and I think she is about as scary driver as me....

Wobbly, Hamish - I'll be in touch If your still coming..?...£££££

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st February 2006, 22:25
Just to let everyone know Chris at Circuit days has just price matched a Honda Revolutions day.

The new price will be £115..

That's less than the original price less 10% and it still includes 4 drivers and passengers.....

SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR....??????? we still need more cars to go Honda Bashing.....
(I'll update Page 1)

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 01:09
Hamish aint coming - coz he is on a hill climb racy thing and I dont have anything half decent to try out, yet - :pants:

When is the last date you need the ££ by?

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 23rd February 2006, 18:41
Need the £65 deposit at the end of the month....
The company has a refund system up to 7 days before the event if you change your mind(check out the website for details).Circuit Days (http://www.circuit-days.co.uk)

The standard charge for this day is now £139 it gradually increases as time progresses, so it is advised to book early.

I have arranged the price match with Chris at Circuit Days. you will only qualify for it as long as you book through me on the bolck booking or you go and join the :-

" :pants: Honda Revolutions Club :pants: "
(Which I doubt you want to do)

Regards
Wayne

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 8th March 2006, 17:24
List of currently paid up people :
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
Wobbly Dave - ***

Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
RandomGuy - (PAID)

Saab Central
MATT944 - ***
Cyclingnorm- (PAID)

Darth Stinky - (PAID)

I can still book spaces if anyone has changed their mind.....

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 9th March 2006, 00:56
Many humble apologies - I know how hard you have tried to org this. I will be there - give us a bell and I will transfer you the £££

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 9th March 2006, 23:44
i'll ring you tomorrow... :remybussi

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 11th March 2006, 19:59
WOOHOO one more....

List of currently paid up people :
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
Wobbly Dave - Awaiting Payment...
GUYT5 - Awaiting payment...

Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
RandomGuy - (PAID)

Saab Central
MATT944 - ***
Cyclingnorm- (PAID)

Darth Stinky - (PAID)

I can still book spaces if anyone has changed their mind.....

d smith
Thursday 16th March 2006, 18:31
if your going to anglesey watch out for the north wales police and speed traps i live 30 miles away from this place and it is very good but look out for the police! 6points 60pound mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :jaw:

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 18th March 2006, 15:09
if your going to anglesey watch out for the north wales police and speed traps i live 30 miles away from this place and it is very good but look out for the police! 6points 60pound mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :jaw:

If your close why don't you pop down on the day..?

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 18th March 2006, 15:10
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
Wobbly Dave - (****)
GUY T5 (***)
GUY T5 -Son (***)
Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
RandomGuy - (PAID)
Saab Central
MIKE PORSCHE 944 - (PAID)
Cyclingnorm - (PAID)
other
Darth Stinky - (PAID)

I've still ot a few spaces left if you've changed your mind....

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 21:25
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
Wobbly Dave - (****)
GUY T5 (***)
GUY T5 -Son (***)
Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
RandomGuy - (PAID)
Saab Central
Cyclingnorm - (PAID)
Swapped - (PAID)
other
Darth Stinky - (PAID)

Looks like this event only has about 1 or 2 places left (www.circuit-days.co.uk), so if anyone is thinking about playing then you'd better be quick...!!!!

Engineer
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 21:59
Ditto Dave's last post, followed, but can't make it mate, we will have a go though at a later date.

GuyD5
Tuesday 21st March 2006, 23:10
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
Wobbly Dave - (****)
GUY T5 (***) It's in the post, sorr!
GUY T5 - Son (***)
ANDY PORSCHE 911 (***)
Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
RandomGuy - (PAID)
Saab Central
Cyclingnorm - (PAID)
Swapped - (PAID)
other
Darth Stinky - (PAID)

marshall_volvo
Wednesday 22nd March 2006, 20:31
I will be attending in the vauxhall movano works van with some parts on board if thats ok(wont be going round the track though) will drive across and then drive back when we are done any suggestions from you all on what service/brake parts you would like me to bring(dont forget to get your discount codes though from justin) and i will load the van and come for a ride across
Regards
Wayne

JUDGENINJA
Sunday 26th March 2006, 14:40
VPCUK
JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
Wobbly Dave - (****)
GUY T5 (PAID)
ANDY PORSCHE 911 (PAID)
Club Nissan
Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
RandomGuy - (PAID)
Saab Central
Cyclingnorm - (PAID)
Swapped - (PAID)
other
Darth Stinky - (PAID)

Cheers Guy.....see you when you arrive...

Wayne - we need a C70 T5 for Dave to drive....!!! (Will it fit in the Van..?)
I can't think of any parts I need yet..but I'll bear it in mind.

JO5EPH
Monday 27th March 2006, 12:13
Well just a few questions, mainly directed at JUDGENINJA as he seems to be the man in the know! But if anyone else wants to help then feel free to join in :D

Firstly,is it too late to join in??

I'm thinking of bringing a friend along to split the costs (and to give me a rest from driving!), I take it this is ok for the circuit?

Autoroute is putting the journey there and back at over 310 miles (J35 M6) so there's that petrol to consider, then how much do you guys use on a typical track day??

The car (1997 S70 T5) is completely standard, and all I was going to change for the track would be the brake pads (any recommendations?), front tyres, and possibly a strut-brace seeing as they seem to be the most cost-effective modification! Does that seem ok??

I'm also wanting to travel down on the saturday and stop at a b&b so i'm relatively fresh for the day, anyone know of any decent-ish cheap-ish b&b's near the circuit?

Many thanks for reading if you've got this far!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th March 2006, 12:15
Recommend you use DS3000 (available from VT) - race track pads

JO5EPH
Monday 27th March 2006, 12:35
Recommend you use DS3000 (available from VT) - race track pads
Ah right thanks, how much are they? (in p&p)

Oh and another question for the track day, will we be able to leave our overnight bags etc anywhere? Its just I dont really want them rolling about in the boot around the circuit!

Thanks

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th March 2006, 13:20
Ring VT and ask.

BigJC
Monday 27th March 2006, 13:27
Would track pads be a bit extreme for day to day use?

The strut brace is a good mod though, don't get one off ebay though as they sell for twice what you'd pay VT or Marshalls.

Can't help you with the bags Joe!

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th March 2006, 13:54
I am no technical expert with the DS3000 - just in previous discussions they were brought up. I think you might struggle to get them to the proper temp if you used the DS3000 OTR.

i found this on another site..

Ferodo DS 3000 Racing Brake Pads

High performance race pads for track applications

http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/images/Ferodo_pads1.jpg (http://www.nexternal.com/bimmerworl/Product587) DS3000 is Ferodo's premium racing compound and has set the standard across circuit racing and the World Rally Championship. DS3000 has contributed to countless wins and podium positions in the WRC, BTCC, STW and is now experiencing major success in Indycar and NASCAR applications.

The main characteristics of the DS3000 compound are:

reduced bedding in time (approximately 50% quicker than other materials)
extremely high friction level (0,62 coefficient of friction) at any temperature or speed
higher initial bite
predictability, in all conditions, when braking into the corner because of the flat friction curve
less off brake between the brake pedal and throttle
When using this material with light inertia racing cars, as a general rule, it is necessary to apply less brake pedal pressure than you would normally expect. This will avoid over-braking and the generation of excessive heat in the braking system and discs.
WARNING: DS3000 is NOT suitable for road use.

Suppose it depends on if you can be bothered to change out pads for the day? and how hard you want to go? DS2500 is a good compromise.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 01:56
Well just a few questions, mainly directed at JUDGENINJA as he seems to be the man in the know! But if anyone else wants to help then feel free to join in :D

Firstly,is it too late to join in??
I've just checked all tickets are now sold. There was 40 places and all of these have been taken...

I'm thinking of bringing a friend along to split the costs (and to give me a rest from driving!), I take it this is ok for the circuit?
For a track day it all depends on who organises it. Circuit Days allow up to 4 Drivers for one charge. Other companies charge for additional drivers (Bruntingthorpe will probably charge for extra drivers)

Autoroute is putting the journey there and back at over 310 miles (J35 M6) so there's that petrol to consider, then how much do you guys use on a typical track day??
When I did Bruntingthorpe last year, which is about the same distance for me. I worked out that with Day cost Petrol /Tyres / Hotel / food & drink etc... I spent around £400-£500 for a weekend away...it sounds a lot but it's worth it...

The car (1997 S70 T5) is completely standard, and all I was going to change for the track would be the brake pads (any recommendations?), front tyres, and possibly a strut-brace seeing as they seem to be the most cost-effective modification! Does that seem ok??
It's all down to what you want out of the day. Many people run completely standard 1.0L Austin Metro type of vehicles, so don't be put off because you think you car won't be up to the task.
As for Brakes, I ran EBC brakes for both My last Ty-Croes and Bruntingthorpe. Although the brakes are rubbish and I would not recommend them to anyone. I had no brake fade, what it did was it cracked the discs rendering them usless..

I'm also wanting to travel down on the saturday and stop at a b&b so i'm relatively fresh for the day, anyone know of any decent-ish cheap-ish b&b's near the circuit?

Many thanks for reading if you've got this far!

I'm only 3 miles from so finding some where to sleep wouldn't be too much of a problem, if you've got a sleeping bag and stuff. and you could have stored any stuff there.

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 01:57
Also I've just fitted DS2500 to mine. There a good compromise on the DS3000...

JO5EPH
Wednesday 29th March 2006, 18:21
I've just checked all tickets are now sold. There was 40 places and all of these have been taken...

Oh well :(

Thanks for answering my questions anyway!

Were they the EBC redstuff pads that cracked your discs?

Anyway, hopefully it will give me a bit more time to get my car more 'track prepared' for later on in the year :D

Have a good day people,

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 30th March 2006, 01:24
UPDATE - I've just had an E-mail back from Chris at Circuit Days and there has been 3 people pull out. So it's all back on if you want...

Joe - I'll PM you now..

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 30th March 2006, 08:18
Sorry to let you down but I too need to pull out. Reasons are complex and boring.

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 1st April 2006, 03:40
1. JUDGNINJA - (PAID)
2. Shotgun Bri - (PAID)
3. Darth Stinky - (PAID)
4. Dave Fox - (PAID)
5. Mike Birds - (PAID)
6. GUY T5 (PAID in full)
7. Cyclingnorm - (PAID)
8. Andy Taylor (PAID in full)
9. Swapped - (PAID)
10......Spaces now available.....

Wobbly...!!!! you've let me down.... but, it must be important for you to put off a weekend playing with Volvo's....hope you get well soon.. :) :)

The hunt is back on to find the elusive 10th person...and 11th and 12th....

Vikingxl
Wednesday 5th April 2006, 05:07
I was planning a trip to spectate but sadly wont even be able to manage that now.Hope you all have a fantastic day and make sure someone gets some piccys!

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 15th April 2006, 16:32
GuyT5 - I've just E-mailed you directions... hope you get it...(hotmail account)...

I'm assuming anyone else that's coming to watch can find their own way. Let me know if you need any help...

GuyD5
Tuesday 18th April 2006, 18:35
Just got back from Denmark and received your email Wayne, cheers mate, see you on Saturday :)

Vikingxl
Saturday 22nd April 2006, 18:34
Have a fantastic time everyone!

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 21:58
My new T5 isnt ready for track use yet, plus expenditure are currently outstripping income (just bought one!) - so you'll have to let me off. Sorry!

GuyD5
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:11
What an excellent day ... the sun shone and the wind blew ... smashing little race track which definitely favoured the smaller cars :)

Met loads of new people, including several from one of the Saab forums ... spent an excellent evening on Saturday at Judgeninja's house where we all sat in the garden until 2am sipping stella and talking cars ... after putting up a tent at the track in gale force winds, I still believe that you went down early this morning and put it up again Wayne ;)

Many thanks for your hospitality Wayne ... above and beyond the call of duty mate.

Got some video of the track which I'll edit and put some links to for anyone who might be interested.

Marrk
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:16
I would just like to than Wayne (Judgeninja) for his hospitality and his organisation of a fantastic track day. Weather was scorching, track was grippy, vast variety of cars there and I was persuaded to track my Saab Aero with dodgy brakes...okay said I, I'll take it easy..........very difficult it turned out to be....lost my brakes and my clutch after a few sessions, then 30 minutes later found them again, weird!! It didn't spoil a thing, although Norman suffered a blown engine in his Golf GTI and had to be towed home.
Thanks to the people who gave my daughter and boyfriend passenger lifts around, gratefully appreciated.
See you's all at Bruntingthorpe.

Mrsmopp
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:17
I would just like to than Wayne (Judgeninja) for his hospitality and his organisation of a fantastic track day. Weather was scorching, track was grippy, vast variety of cars there and I was persuaded to track my Saab Aero with dodgy brakes...okay said I, I'll take it easy..........very difficult it turned out to be....lost my brakes and my clutch after a few sessions, then 30 minutes later found them again, weird!! It didn't spoil a thing, although Norman suffered a blown engine in his Golf GTI and had to be towed home.
Thanks to the people who gave my daughter and boyfriend passenger lifts around, gratefully appreciated.
See you's all at Bruntingthorpe.

Have you made any more modifications to your aero since last year at Bruntingthorpe?

x

Marrk
Sunday 23rd April 2006, 22:44
No, this is my new 'get me to work' car I inpulsed bought off ebay. My black Carlsson has the engine and gearbox out....getting ready for Aug!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v471/Mark_in_Ireland/SilverAero.jpg

Marrk
Monday 24th April 2006, 18:45
http://www.richijenkin.co.uk/MKIndy/Anglesey1.wmv

No pics of Saabs or Volvos but after spinning he is overtaken by one of our group in the BMW M3. He will be posting pics later on tonite at

http://www.richijenkin.co.uk/gpage.html

BigJC
Monday 24th April 2006, 19:05
Awesome vid! What engine is in that Mk1 Golf??

Judge, any pics??

JUDGENINJA
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 04:21
Ah.... other day in the life of a used and abused Volvo....

Well I hope all this peparation was worth it... I frantically ran around over the last few weeks putting things in. Then taking them out again and then putting it all back together again.... I don't want to have to go into the garage for a couple of weeks now...

Anyway where shall I start....
Between a few friends and I we have been trying to rebuild my car... We've worked hard into the night some days often dragging the missus out of here bed to hold something, whilst I screw it in....(HA HA) .....

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/volvo-sm4.jpg

With various bits finished and reassembled the car now looks half finished...

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/volvo-sm1.jpg

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/volvo-sm5.jpg

The bonnet now has to be lifted off completely to get access to the engine bay by the use of these magical bonnet pins...the weight saving on these is approx 6kg...

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/volvo-sm3.jpg

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/volvo-sm2.jpg

With other modifications like a slight edit of the the throttle body, lightened Flywheel and the HKS Air filter off a Nissan Skyline it was ready to go...

Saturday
Almost on cue just as I'd finished washing/polishing the car and my mum's Jag, Norman and Wyn arrived in Norman's Mk2 Golf GTI. With a quick hello they were off to the pub. I don't blame them, there's not much else to do round here....

Jools went off to the shop to get some sweets and came back and asked, "Is one of your friends coming in a Volvo..?" I said, "Yes." he replied there is a volvo and a Yellow car parked across the road...."

The Yellow car turned out to be GuyT5's Brother's very nice Porsche 911 , but as you can see I've taught him well to spot the important cars, namely Guy's Volvo..... :haha: for some reason I offered them a cup of tea and they opted for the pub as well......

Mark was running late so I left the house for the Pub too. I found Guy, Andy and Liam had just polished off their pub Grub and were enjoying a local pint or two. Dragging them away from the comfort I took them for a run over to the track to put up a tent ready for Sunday, as I had heard that is was going to rain so we needed somewhere dry to boast about who'd we'd overtaken.....
After a return journey to pick up a few more pegs we returned to the house and joined Wyn and Norman, where I proceeded to find out that Wyn used to work in the same place that I work now (even the same department). It's a small world.....

Mark Arrived around 10ish and being in bloke heaven beer and conversations about cars kept us going until the early hours of the morning before a quick fight over beds everyone settled down for the night........

Sunday

It came too quickly... I was enjoying my sleep and warmth... I crawled out of bed and went to see if anyone else was awake. Happily most people had got up. I shot off the the track to see if anyone else from the group had arrived..

Eventually we all arrived safely

Brian in his Skyline
Adrian in his Alfa Romeo
Guy in his V70
me in my 850
Norman in his Golf
Dave in his MX-5
Andy in his Porsche
John in his BMW
Carl in his Saab...
..but no Mike. His Kitcar was bust and wasn't able to get it running in time.
With a bit of persuasion Mark took his place in his Saab 9000..he couldn't really turn it down as he got a trackday for £50..thanks Mike...

My Day
Between my Brother and I we shared the driving. for the first half of the day I decided we'd run the road tyres to get a feeling for the car. with all this weight gone it is really hard not to wheel spin the thing. Almost every corner the inside wheel span. I can definately see the point of an LSD and better suspension. Also the car understeered alot, well you'd expect that for a large FWD car....

Two or three sessions later I'm just leaving the pitlane with Mark's Daughter as my passenger and all I can hear is thud Thud thud......oh no what's broken now...? I had to stop in an escape lane to check the car over. I can't see anything, but there is definately something wrong. I nurse the car back to the pits... only to find my brother say, " Oh yeah I noticed that, but forgot to tell you...." it was a loose wheel. After tightening it up off we go again....
Afterwards I asked her which was more scary the driving or the wheel falling off?.... She said the wheel falling off.....(I'll have to try harder next time...

After lunch I put the slicks on the front. That transformed the car. These tryes actually pulled the car round the corners enough to cause a bit of drift action out of a FWD Volvo...but they don't last long...

We spent most of the day show-boating round the track I left a 20-30 metre tyre mark from the hairpin to the next corner so the slicks weren't going to last forever. in the last session coming down the pit lane the tyre De-lamiated and that was the end of that tyre... and another trip to an escape road to change the tyre back to the road tyres for the trip home...

All in all I really enjoyed the day and I hope everyone else did too. It was a bit of a shame that Norman Blew his golf up, but apart from that I think most people went away undamaged. I snapped a wheel nut so that's my damage for the day....

To be honest I only took a couple of pictures from the pit lane and nearly all of them missed the cars. I got the front of the Porsche and the back of the MX-5 so they ain't really worth posting...

Here's one of the good one's ;
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/volvo-sm6.jpg

I just hope Guy has some better pic's....I'll put up some Video at a later date..

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 08:22
Sounds like you had a fun packed day. My new car just isnt ready yet so gonna stick it on @ brunters later in the year.

Looking forward to seeing you at the BBQ

Justin
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 08:40
As ever Wayne a fantastic write up that i will read again. Car looks great ;)

swapped
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 10:13
First post (why am I posting on a Volvo forum??? - Ah, I remember, gratitude!).

Many thanks to Wayne for his efforts prior-to and during the day - my group of 3 spent more of the day laughing than I would have guessed possible.

Dyed-in-the-wool Saab, I'm afraid, with a dose of Porsche / VW on the side, but forget the marques - it was CARS that mattered on Sunday.

None of us had driven Anglesey before, and what a great circuit! - a mini Oulton that you can have memorised inside 2-or-3 laps and that genuinely rewards 'getting it right' by almost stringing together the subsequent corners for you - I kept messing turn 1 up, until I was brave enough to carry more speed in (just a matter of taking your eyes and mind off the cliff-top views, really), at which point, the whole climb up through the right-handers suddenly worked and left only the small matter of wondering where on earth the left-right at the top started over the blind crest...

I hope we didn't give too much the impression of driving yobs in the green Saab 9000, but it (for us) was a day for wringing the neck of the car, as our 'real' track day car was unavailable (took the head off to fit compression-lowering gasket to find that millimeters of free-movement at the top of each piston was probably linked to the previously mysterious thirst for oil...).

With 4 days to go, the green 9000 was a 170bhp 2.3 low pressure turbo cruising sofa with 110,000 miles (£200, as you asked). We did what we could, and the mods list by Sunday consisted:

2.3 Aero ECU (225bhp)
17" Toora wheels and 80percent-good Toyo S1s off the track car
new (bedded-in for about 80 miles) standard discs and pads all-round
bleed valve
remove back seat, parcel shelf, spare wheel, tool kit, boot floor
de-cat
50:50 blend 118 race fuel and tesco 97 super
bolt camcorder mount through dashboard-top

Still fitted:
working climate control
electric windows
mini-disk / cd changer stereo
standard suspension
original engine and gearbox
trip computer (it says we returned 17mpg on the day, but that included time spent ticking-over to cool odwn between sessions)
leather front seats (ooh, slippy!)

resulting power? who knows? a guesstimate of around 240?

certainly, it felt very like my stg3 Aero to drive (270-ish, but full weight and a much higher-ratio gearbox).

We all came away amazed at how docile the car was, with the back-end letting-go early and predictably, and never threatening to bite.

Over-heating was the big danger, but didn't limit things much, as the brakes (and drivers) needed a rest every 5-6 laps, anyway.

The top radiator hose let go (8-inch split starting at the top of the engine) about 50 yards from the pit entrance on the lap we were coming-in from to end the day, and the total damage to the car after a day of wringing its neck:

split radiator hose
completely destroyed front-nearside tyre (writing scrubbed off sidewall!)
all-used-up front-offside tyre (looks fine from the outside, but nothing left to give on the inner couple of inches)
DEEPLY scored discs all round (no warping though)
front pads down to 5mm (and lumpy)
rear pads half gone (and lumpy)
head gasket weeping / seeping oil and water (classic Saab 4cyl problem)
clutch slipping a little at the bottom of 3rd

See you next time, in the red saloon 9000 Carlsson, which has proper brakes and suspension, a roll-cage and has had some thought and effort put into weight-reduction.

Carl

http://www.richijenkin.co.uk/Trackdays/AngleseyApril2006/Album15.htm

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 10:32
Welcome to the forum! Another great write up lol!!

Will you be joining us at Bruntingthorpe?

x

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 10:32
Oh and Wayne you appear to have a bit missing from your car LMSO ;)

x

Marrk
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 15:42
Here’s a quick report on an absolutely fantastic day yesterday at Anglesey. We got down to Wayne’s house at 2215hrs and were met with bottles and cans of beer and good car craic until 2 o’clock in the morning... :jaw: .

Full board and free beer, no complaints on that front then.... :) :beer:

Up at 0730 and after a few cups of tea and bacon sarnies (big thanks to Lee for that) we all set off to the track.

My mate was supposed to be coming in a Lotus 7 replica but had mechanical problems so pulled out...this left a £60 deposit going to waste and after some deep consideration I put £50 to it to take a few easy drives around the track as my brakes on my aero are overdue new discs and pads

Easy drive round…yeh right!! Wonderful thing this red mist!!

45 cars, open pit lane with 15 cars max on the track turned out to be no queuing to get on the track.

First couple of sessions was done to find out how fast I could stop and how far I could 4 wheel drift the car after the pits going into the downhill then uphill righthander….

One thing that I have to say is the LSD fitted in this car was an absolute lifesaver, if I was in my other Carlsson I would have never survived what I got away with. With the car understeering like mad and running wide with my foot planted right to the floor the LSD would really kick in and find grip with a vengeance and throw the car over to the other side of the track, which was great exiting the hairpin as it put me right on line for the next corner.

I only used 2 gears, 2nd and 3rd…..flaming aero box!!

After 3 sessions I started to get clutch slip until I couldn’t use 3rd at all so pulled in for a cuppa…brakes were a bit soggy as well.

Took Norman out to show him the lines etc but with hindsight I should have gone slower and smoother cos when we then went out in his Golf GTI he tried to copy my driving and we quickly exited the track but luckily the run off was sufficient to slow us down before hitting anything, rest of the lap was still very erratic as the adrenalin had kicked in…..however after flying down the pitlane straight and just turning in for the corner his engine let go in a massive cloud of smoke out the exhaust…game over!! :slap:

After an hour I went to the cash machine to pay my £50 for the day…(thanks Mike) and everything worked as normal…clutch was perfect…..so back out and had a few amazingly fast laps, sometimes in control but usually a wee bit out of it, running off the track by a few inches on most corners but definitely giving my passengers something to tell their grand kids about…lol.

Lost the clutch again so decided to call it a day and get passengered round by some of the other guys who turned up. Missed out on the Porsche 911RS in yellow with yellow wheels… but Norman got a spin to make up for his blown engine.

Had a ride in a chipped Volvo estate V70 (Guys) with Lee driving and was amazed how smooth and fast it was, so returned the favour and took my car back out (clutch and brakes back again) and demonstrated the better traction a LSD car has and raised his pulse rate with some really manic driving on the edge until my brakes started to fade.

Took Wyn out for what turned out to be my last session due to total clutch and brake failure and put a big grin on his face to go with the white knuckles as he held on for his life….. .

Waited about 30mins and brakes and clutch reappeared although down to the metal on my pads so used the handbrake for the 3.5 hour journey home!

Norman got RACed home after being towed back to Wayne’s house.

I think I can speak for everyone who went, that it was a well organised, red hot day, with superb entertainment whether on the track or off it.

Look forward to doing it again but will be more organised next time and have some brakes that work….lol

Al115
Tuesday 25th April 2006, 17:35
Well done Wayne for organising what sounds like a truly excellent day... I really must get along to the next one!

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 27th April 2006, 13:35
Oh and Wayne you appear to have a bit missing from your car LMSO ;)

x

I know....... I'm going to have to find somewhere else to hang the grille badge.....
I'm considering it to be "Work in Progress" at the moment....

Well done Wayne for organising what sounds like a truly excellent day... I really must get along to the next one!

YES you must......

I've just been given two CD's worth of Photos I'll post up some more soon...

JUDGENINJA
Saturday 29th April 2006, 00:41
Here's a few more cars from the day....

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/DSCF4300-sm.jpg

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/DSCF4294-sm.jpg

http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/Picture%20004-sm.jpg

cyclingnorm
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 10:03
Firstly, to mirror everyone else at Anglesey - nice one Wayne, great day and even though my car died on the 2nd lap I now most definately have the track day bug!!

The delay in me making this post is down to only finding out what happened to my normally reliable Mk2 GTi last Saturday, thankfully it was only the head gasket that blew, but as the head/manifold etc. is off I thought it was probably a good idea to get the head reconditioned and gas flowed, slightly faster cams fitted, new stainless exhaust manifold fitted the obligatory low restriction exhaust put on (I hope my wife does not read this thread!!!).

Cheers to Guy, Lee and Andy for their company, especially to Andy for the ride in his rather nice 911 and hopefully see you all again at Bruntingthorpe, where I might manage more than 2 laps - unless the bottom end of the engine decides to pack in!!

swapped
Wednesday 3rd May 2006, 15:08
The delay in me making this post is down to only finding out what happened to my normally reliable Mk2 GTi last Saturday, thankfully it was only the head gasket that blew

I think I've got a glimpse of your demise on my in-car video from the day - did it blow on the pit-straight?

You can hear the in-car chatter on the video as we pull into the pits, "oops! - there's someone letting go..."

Oh, and that's me in the first of Wayne's photos above, in the green Saab - you can make out the camera mount on the passenger-side of the dash-top.

spin
Thursday 4th May 2006, 18:15
Thats my white S70 T5 on the pic.

I must read this forum more often then I could`ve met with you all properly.

It was the first time the car had run since september last year and it ran spot on. It needs more work doing to make it lighter, and better suspension to make it handle and give it traction out of corners.

Keith.

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 4th May 2006, 19:07
it was great to meet you keith... Put Bruntingthorpe in your diary for August. It's a bigger playing area and you should be able to compare your car better with mine and other Volvo owners. Mine should be lighter and faster too..

Marrk
Friday 5th May 2006, 18:17
Mine should be lighter
Wayne, How on earth are you going to make it any lighter...let the wheels fall off this time...:)

Swapped, be interested in getting a copy of your video footage if possible!:Handshake

JUDGENINJA
Friday 5th May 2006, 20:22
I'm working on it now..... to be honest there's not much good footage... Although I've got a few good laps behind Andy's Porsche. The Pics are just a few I took during the first 1hr. There not good quality, but I'll get them sent off when i've got them all together....

I haven't heard if GuyT5 has pics any to share... I know he was taking footage of my car (probably to use as evidence in my Volvo "Abuse Trial")

Marrk I'm in trying to sample your comment you made to your Daughter about the safe crash position.. It's very funny so expect a funky disco music track. You'll be number one by next year.... I've just got to get my stupid PC to be able to accept sound.....gggrrrrrr!!!!!! this has been an issue since I got this thing....

swapped
Thursday 11th May 2006, 17:08
Swapped, be interested in getting a copy of your video footage if possible!:Handshake

You can get a wmv file of 15 minutes from the day - mostly in-car, at http://www.trollparts.com

You need to register, but it's free and a free download.

I'm working on a longer, better quality and better edited version for myself, and I'll let you know when that's available if there's any interest (don't hold your breath for that one, I haven't edited my daughter's first steps yet, and she's 4 now...)

Marrk
Thursday 11th May 2006, 19:29
Registered but no joy with the video, it appears to not be there.

swapped
Thursday 11th May 2006, 21:06
Registered but no joy with the video, it appears to not be there.

Hi - no, it's there all right. Have you found the screenshot?

I can see your regitration details - just 'buy' the video from the downloads section - go right through the process as though you were making a purchase, and you'll get a checkout for £0.00, and a download link.