PDA

View Full Version : Why would lifters stop lifting????

Liddo
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 16:24
So, Ive now found out that my 70k mile S70 has got an engine rattle because of a stuck lifter!!! This has caused the cam to round off!!
Not being to up on these engines too much, why the f**k would a lifter stop lifting. The car was serviced by the dealer 2k miles ago!!! The oil was at least half way when I checked!! Is it lack of oil feeding the lifter??? Or is it cos my car overboosted (280bhp Rica) when I put my foot down (using unleaded) and popped it out or something????

:dunce:

Engineer
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 16:57
So, Ive now found out that my 70k mile S70 has got an engine rattle because of a stuck lifter!!! This has caused the cam to round off!!
Not being to up on these engines too much, why the f**k would a lifter stop lifting. The car was serviced by the dealer 2k miles ago!!! The oil was at least half way when I checked!! Is it lack of oil feeding the lifter??? Or is it cos my car overboosted (280bhp Rica) when I put my foot down (using unleaded) and popped it out or something????

:dunce:Must admit normally you would not expect a lifter fault at that mileage, but one I have come across in the past is incorrect grade of oil used.

Liddo
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 19:46
GAYLORD F**KERS! Bet the tight arses used crap oil!!! :mad: I'll do me own servicing from now on, or take it to Kwit Fit, as they do a Mobil One change for 35 quid!

Engineer
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 20:59
GAYLORD F**KERS! Bet the tight arses used crap oil!!! :mad: I'll do me own servicing from now on, or take it to Kwit Fit, as they do a Mobil One change for 35 quid!Whooo tiger 10w/40 is what you want for our climate, but it could still be some other malidy that killed your lifter..........................life just ain't that simple.

After_Shock
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 21:26
The dealer wont have put naff oil in simply as their not allowed to and buy the stuff in bulk anyway and thats all they can use, your much more likely to get naff oil at Kwik Fit!

It is an unusual fault, but just could be one of those things thats gave up and gone earlier than it should, unlikely to be the Rica upgrade though.

Tiff_T5
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 21:34
Kwik-Fit only use Mobil oil.10w40. mineral,semi,and Mobil 1. Coopers or Unipart filters.-all O.E Spec.

Liddo
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 08:30
Kwik-Fit only use Mobil oil.10w40. mineral,semi,and Mobil 1. Coopers or Unipart filters.-all O.E Spec.

Yip they do, as I took my Scoob to Kwit Fit for a Mobil 1 change, and it worked out WELL better for them to get oily for £35.00 :D

volvotuning
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 19:51
An overboost won't cause a lifter to fail. As mentioned above, it's most likely to be an oil issue, or simply wear and tear.

Adam.

BlackBeast
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 20:16
.....or just plain unlucky.