PDA

View Full Version : K & N Filters on T5 850

wright_t5
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 20:54
Hi,

Anyone out there have any experience with K & N Filters.

I am thinking of replacing my existing panel (K & N) filter with a full induction kit, wonder if anyone has already fitted and had experience with one.

Wright_t5

Pedro Fandango
Wednesday 15th September 2004, 21:39
if your going to go for a induction kit (to sound better & suck in hot air) go for Pipercross cone, i felt a big increase of K&N 57i (but i use a Pipercross Viper now to get cold air)

wright_t5
Thursday 16th September 2004, 06:27
When you say you felt a big increase! what do you mean?, I know what you mean about hot air, that's one of my concerns it gets pretty hot in there, I have seen american versions with an extra chamber arrangement to get the hot air back and let it draw cold air from the front, thought about that mod, but need to find out if is gonna make any difference from the panel filter before spending/wasting money.

Wondered if anyone had "positive" evidence that it makes a difference.. other than making more noise, noise is one thing but may not increase performance where it matters.

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 16th September 2004, 08:03
the Pipercross cone really made the engine rev ALOT easier than with the K&N 57i. It was about 4 years ago now that i had the K&N so can't remember how it compared to the standard airbox, sorry mate

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 16th September 2004, 09:35
IMHO the stock air box is not a restriction - I would use either K&N or an ITG panel filter replacement for the paper one. Volvotuning will sell you an ITG for 45 quid. They do all the development work for ITG. Unless you can adequately shield away all the hot engine air - a cone filter will IMHO degrade your performance.

wright_t5
Thursday 16th September 2004, 11:55
Nice to have a second opinion, I had thought the same, and had heard that there is really too much hot air in the engine department for a normal induction kit, so I guess I will just settle for the K & N I have...

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th September 2004, 12:13
Do we get to meet you and your car at some point? Fancy a trip to santa pod for a 1/4 mile session?

x

wright_t5
Thursday 16th September 2004, 12:37
Hi,

Santa-Pod, Umm, sounds ok, Have been a number of times, love it to death, was there a couple of weeks ago, some T5's there, not sure if I saw yours/you there? there was a yellow estate there, saw a few run, but never quite got in the thick of them, they were always at the other end of the queue!!!

Have had a NEW front set of tyres fitted so don't want ruin them quite yet, although you should see the burn out I did with the old ones... fantastic!! smoke, more smoke than any dragster I have seen there for a while!!! Have a video!! b*&^%Y great
tyres were absolutely hammered, I am now looking for a couple of spare wheels so I can do a proper show at santa-pod!!!! then you will know who I am...

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 16th September 2004, 12:44
Is yours this one

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/rwyb_05_sept_04/black_850.jpg

or this one

http://www.bigredvolvos.co.uk/images/rwyb_05_sept_04/green_850_t5.jpg

It's me!! Dave - I am certain we said hello!

The Yellow one was Julie's aka MissDemeanor's "Mouthy Blonde" - as the car is called.

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th September 2004, 12:52
Aha!!!! We found you! We have been wondering who you were!!! The pod meet you went to there was only a handful of us there. We are going this weekend and there is about 15 - 20 of us going. Come along to meet us - you dont have to run!!!!

x

wright_t5
Thursday 16th September 2004, 13:11
Sounds like you got me..... I may run, probably just do a run, no burn-out though, that will have to wait, hey if the weather is cold then I may get close to the 14's!!!!

May even have me new exhaust fitted by then too.....

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 16th September 2004, 13:15
was there a couple of weeks ago, some T5's there, not sure if I saw yours/you there? there was a yellow estate there, saw a few run, but never quite got in the thick of them, they were always at the other end of the queue!!!
you wouldn't happen to have a green estate with chrome rims would you, or were you the black estate?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th September 2004, 13:17
Sounds like you got me..... I may run, probably just do a run, no burn-out though, that will have to wait, hey if the weather is cold then I may get close to the 14's!!!!

May even have me new exhaust fitted by then too.....

Nice one!!! Look forward to seeing you there! Which T5 were you - black or green?

x

wright_t5
Thursday 16th September 2004, 13:31
Hi,

Black, Estate, Irish plate.

What/Who should I look out for, would like to meet you, what colour/model is yours...

Pedro Fandango
Thursday 16th September 2004, 13:35
we normally park by the grandstand (you were right by us when you first came in), i'll be in a noisey burgundy 854 on 18's

there should be about 20 of us so i'm sure you won't miss us

Mrsmopp
Thursday 16th September 2004, 13:42
YOu wont miss us I assure you! I'm a red 854 with R bumper and titans, you wont miss Covcrew in his with 18inch rims and serious exhaust!!!!!

15 - 20 Volvos will be difficult to miss!!! :wink:

x

wright_t5
Thursday 16th September 2004, 14:25
See you all there then... Sunday, not sure what time, or how long I might stay but I will make an appearance....

monsterdark
Monday 20th September 2004, 20:18
Hi wright T5 i've a pipercross cone & all connections if ur interested give us £50 & will post it off to you, only been used for 1 month, still in original box :tank:
cheers monsterdark