PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Belt

MattB
Tuesday 20th December 2005, 19:39
I appear to have developed a squeakey belt on cold start up.
I assume it is the belt as I have sprayed WD40 on to the pulleys etc, with no joy. Is it wise to replace the belt asap (is the squeaking a sign that it could be damaged and/or coming to the end of its life?) or should I just live with it? :troutslap

firestorm
Tuesday 20th December 2005, 21:03
hi, is the belt loose? change it asap anyway, might also be worth starting the engine up, with the fan belt removed briefly, just to make sure it's not the timing belt, failure of the timing belt could be expensive.
also make sure all the pulleys spin with the belt disconnected

splatt
Tuesday 20th December 2005, 21:14
if its on start its probably loose as before....no real need to change unless damaged.

MattB
Tuesday 20th December 2005, 23:24
Many thanks for your replies guys.

might also be worth starting the engine up, with the fan belt removed briefly, just to make sure it's not the timing beltDo 850's have a fan belt? (from memory, can't remember if they do).

if its on start its probably loose as before....no real need to change unless damaged. Can it be adjusted, or should I just replace it or put up with the squeek?

BlackBeast
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 00:18
Do 850's have a fan belt? (from memory, can't remember if they do).

Can it be adjusted, or should I just replace it or put up with the squeek?

In short no they dont, its the alternator belt or auxillary belt your talking about, check the tension on it, if its excessivly loose or tight adjust it.

Rufe
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 07:48
you can actually get an aerosol, called Belt Spray, sometimes a squirt of this when the belt is running can do the trick, though adjustment or even replacing the belt would be a better option really

twotrees
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 10:44
[firt thing is that wd 40 has got a lot of water in can and the other mite be the battery

QUOTE=MattB]I appear to have developed a squeakey belt on cold start up.
I assume it is the belt as I have sprayed WD40 on to the pulleys etc, with no joy. Is it wise to replace the belt asap (is the squeaking a sign that it could be damaged and/or coming to the end of its life?) or should I just live with it? :troutslap[/QUOTE]

firestorm
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 22:47
sorry m8, i did mean auxillary drive belt, i change them when the start squeaking (unless you have changed it before), the seem to break at the most awkard time

what model and year car you got? i have diagrams of serpentine belt's i can post for you

JUDGENINJA
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 23:13
The aux-belt has a tensioner fitted..therefore there is no adjustment available.. if it is the belt it will need replacing

firestorm
Wednesday 21st December 2005, 23:35
did'nt know it was an automatic tensioner.

@judgeninja just been on your site m8, nice site, but the links dont work, think you may have the slashes the wrong way round, you got \, should be /

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 03:00
http://www.the-judges.co.uk/judge/ninja/images/tensioer%20pic.jpg

MattB
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 08:30
The aux-belt has a tensioner fitted..therefore there is no adjustment available.. if it is the belt it will need replacing
Thanks Judgeninja, I have just had a look at your engine pics - which are great and have given me a better idea of how the setup lies etc. Will go for changing the belt - recently had an alternator go, so this has probably worn the belt. Hope you are able to get your gearbox etc sorted soon!

sorry m8, i did mean auxillary drive belt, i change them when the start squeaking (unless you have changed it before), the seem to break at the most awkard time

what model and year car you got? i have diagrams of serpentine belt's i can post for youNo worries mate - me being more enthusiatic than competant with cars, I need things explained in plain terms, otherwise disaster is iminent!! lol. My car is an 1996 854 T5. Is the job a difficult one?Recently had an alternator go, so this has probably worn the belt. I assume that there is 2 belts - 1 x cam and 1 x aux. Mileage is 100k - both belts were changed at 70k - is it essential or worth changing both at the same time? Any help appreciated!
Thanks in advance... :)

firestorm
Thursday 22nd December 2005, 10:16
your right, there are 2 belts, no need to change the cam belt if it's already been done, just the auxillary belt
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.mapplethorpe/cccc/belt.JPG
cs=crankshaft
gen=alternator
t=tensioner
pas=power steering
g=idler
ac=air con pulley

hope this helps

MattB
Saturday 24th December 2005, 14:19
Thanks again for the replies.
Diagran is perfect - I'll have to route belt slightly differently, as I do not have aircon.
Will dig out the haynes after christmas and give it a bash.
Is it a tricky/difficult job?
Plan to buy a belt from GSF or is it best to buy oem??

firestorm
Saturday 24th December 2005, 15:09
should not be too much of a difficult job, make a quick sketch of the belt route before you remove it, an aftermarket belt will be ok, as long as it's a good quality one, have a look to see what tool you need for the adjuster (looks like a 3/8" drive knuckle bar from judgeninja's piccie)
you will have to put pressure against the adjuster spring, remove the belt, then replace with new belt, holding the tensioner against the spring again (this is the fun part where you'll need about 3 pairs if hands).

keep the old belt, just in case, will do in an emergency