PDA

View Full Version : Xenon headlight conversion query

uqj83l
Wednesday 5th May 2021, 11:15
Hi
I’ve got a spare set of xenon headlights from a 2005 V70R with the looms and headlight switch. I want to fit them to my 2005 XC70 D5 however at first glance it looks like the loom connections won’t allow this in a plug and play manner. Has anyone done this? Am I missing something?

LeeT5
Wednesday 5th May 2021, 19:14
I don't think it can be done mate without replacing the CEM.
Also, does your Ocean Race have headlight wipers OR pop up jets? If not, it will never pass the new MOT rules.

uqj83l
Wednesday 5th May 2021, 21:48
Thanks Lee, that’s a shame. I don’t want to be replacing the CEM, or installing any resistors. I wanted plug and play. As for the washers it has high pressure jets built into the front bumper which wash the headlights every 5th time the windscreen is washed.

What are the new MOT rules on headlight washers?

LeeT5
Thursday 6th May 2021, 11:26
Thanks Lee, that’s a shame. I don’t want to be replacing the CEM, or installing any resistors. I wanted plug and play. As for the washers it has high pressure jets built into the front bumper which wash the headlights every 5th time the windscreen is washed.

What are the new MOT rules on headlight washers?

It's a grey area in respects to what you want to do....

22 March 2021.
4.1.4. Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units on vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1986 must not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp for light source and lamp not compatible.'

Although you're not removing Halogen and replacing with HID, your still essentially changing what was originally fitted.

However, since your Ocean Race already has headlamp washers (a component that is essential for HID's or LED's to be legal) then, unless the inspector KNOWS the car is meant to have a particular light type, then you may be ok.

So, going back to your issue, I understand the plugs don't fit. However, have you confirmed the wiring type at the plugs is the same? Are there extra wires? different colours?

If you ping me the VIN of each car, I may be able to check VIDA EWD to see what is the difference?

If it's a simple case of different plugs, then you could just source some plugs that fit and modify. I do also believe there may be an element of software with the CEM that is for HID or Halogen....probably to do with the light sensor or electronic level motors in the Bi-Xenon light units, something which the Ocean Race does not have to worry about.

uqj83l
Thursday 6th May 2021, 22:16
It looks like the only viable option would be to buy the xenons headlights and headlight looms off a non R model and then it will be plug and play. Even if I did modify the wiring I’d still need in line resistors to prevent getting the ‘bulb failure’ message on the instrument cluster. Too problematic for me when there is the option of a plug and play solution.

MoleT-5R
Friday 7th May 2021, 11:09
Wouldn't you also need to fit a rear level sensor for the self leveling system to work and comply to the regs ??, just a thought, as my Abarth 595 has bi-xenon option fitted and had an issue with the rear sensor, which left the lights auto adjustment too high and really pee'd off oncoming drivers, all sorted now though.

uqj83l
Friday 7th May 2021, 11:35
Maybe I would have had to fit some sort of levelling sensor. I’m unsure, especially considering that my XC70 has nivomat self levelling suspension which automatically levels under load hence making any level sensor a pointless addition...?
The conversion has been parked anyway unless I pick up a set of V70 xenons off a non R car.

LeeT5
Wednesday 12th May 2021, 10:12
Wouldn't you also need to fit a rear level sensor for the self leveling system to work and comply to the regs ??, just a thought, as my Abarth 595 has bi-xenon option fitted and had an issue with the rear sensor, which left the lights auto adjustment too high and really pee'd off oncoming drivers, all sorted now though.

Yes, you do have to have a means of levelling the lights for load compensation.

Maybe I would have had to fit some sort of levelling sensor. I’m unsure, especially considering that my XC70 has nivomat self levelling suspension which automatically levels under load hence making any level sensor a pointless addition...?
The conversion has been parked anyway unless I pick up a set of V70 xenons off a non R car.

If your car has Nivomats then you won't need to fit a level sensor.

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 12th May 2021, 19:27
If your car has Nivomats then you won't need to fit a level sensor.

Every days a school day as they say, I never new that, though with the age of vehicles I have, I'm learning new stuff with the new addition of the Abarth 595