PDA

View Full Version : Volvo D5 fuel pressure too high ECM 2501 2502

uqj83l
Monday 15th March 2021, 15:17
Hi
Just a post to help anyone who has the above codes appear with an engine management light or limp mode. ECM 2501 ECM 2502
Happened to me last week...
Scanned the codes in Vida. Did a fault trace in Vida. Rail presssure was fine, and so was the pump on activation. Made me think either air in the system or issues with fuel filter. Did a leak down test with clear tube on the return line of the injectors. No bubbles. Could only then be the filter. Took off the casing to find this....

Issued fixed with a new filter. I can’t believe how dirty the old one was and it was only changed 30k ago. I hope this helps anyone with the same issue. Sorry for the sideways images.

LeeT5
Wednesday 7th April 2021, 18:07
Great post Bill and as I say to most Diesel owners at the roadside....consider replacing your fuel filter more often and not at the dealer recommended intervals. It can save so many issues on diesels.
If I owned a diesel, I wouldn't let the fuel filter do more than 20k and never run your car less than 1/4 tank of fuel, otherwise you'll increase the sludge pick up from the bottom of the tank and degrade the fuel filter more quickly.

Might be worth removing your fuel tank Bill and giving it a dam good clean out?

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 7th April 2021, 20:03
Next on the list for mine is the filters, I've got a lot to learn about owning a D5

Just done the timing belt, tensioner, idler, aux belt and aux tensioner (100k).

uqj83l
Sunday 11th April 2021, 12:55
Great post Bill and as I say to most Diesel owners at the roadside....consider replacing your fuel filter more often and not at the dealer recommended intervals. It can save so many issues on diesels.
If I owned a diesel, I wouldn't let the fuel filter do more than 20k and never run your car less than 1/4 tank of fuel, otherwise you'll increase the sludge pick up from the bottom of the tank and degrade the fuel filter more quickly.

Might be worth removing your fuel tank Bill and giving it a dam good clean out?

Hi Lee, fuel tank removal and refit is too much grief even when you have a 2 post lift! Instead I’m going to make sure I change the fuel filter annually with my oil service. It only costs a few quid, takes 5mins, and prevents all sorts of problems.

uqj83l
Sunday 11th April 2021, 15:07
On a different note I finally got round to fitting my Provent 200 catch can today. I found a bit of oil in my intake pipe so thought I’d do what I can to reduce the amount of oil mist in the intake system. There will always be a bit which gets through the turbo bearings at high RPM but that can’t be helped. The catch can itself was around £100 and all the joints and reducing hoses were £50. It reduces from 25mm at the can to 19mm OE breather pipe. Image shows 2 straight reducers but I actually used a 90 degree reducer in the end. I undone the OUT breather pipe in front of the turbo governor and without cutting into it I joint onto the oil separator OUT port into the catch can, and then out the catch can back into the breather pipe which then runs over the engine into the air intake. At any point I can undo a couple hose clamps and revert to OE as I kept everything uncut. Just enough space between the radiator and intake pipe for it to sit.

LeeT5
Sunday 11th April 2021, 19:44
Hi Lee, fuel tank removal and refit is too much grief even when you have a 2 post lift! Instead I’m going to make sure I change the fuel filter annually with my oil service. It only costs a few quid, takes 5mins, and prevents all sorts of problems.

I'm convinced half the problems diesels have would be solved if manufactures and owners/garages adopted the same attitude.
Not that I would, but if I did own a diesel i'd certainly practise what I preach and follow the same service rule. Constantly telling joe public the same, at the roadside, when I'm convinced they're car has broken down because of a fuel problem that could have easily been prevented if they'd only changed the filter on the last service!