PDA

View Full Version : Volvo D5 Timing Locking Tools Dimensions

MoleT-5R
Friday 12th March 2021, 12:04
As above is anyone able to give me the dimensions of the cam and crank locking tools for the 2.4L D5 so I can turn some up on my lathe, as I want to get my xc90's tuning issue sorted asap and I can't wait or justify the expense, when I could make them here and not have to wait for them to turn up from abroad, I think I have got the cam locking pin sorted but would be good to confirm it's dimensions though, it's the crank one that is most important to me at present but any help would be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

MoleT-5R
Saturday 13th March 2021, 19:59
Got a bit of enthusiasm up today and machined up some locking pins from dimensions that I worked out trying various drill bits into the locking locations, Pins in, cam wheel slackened, belt slipped back on and tensioned, cam wheel bolts locked back up. Rotated the crank a good few times and every time the marks lined up.....they didn't when the crank and cam where just lined up and not locked, when the belt was slipped back on, after rotation it was always a tooth out and ran rough when fired up. Just got to re-assemble the rest of the engine bay and fire her up hopefully, though I'm doubting that she'll run right, but I have to try before junking the lump.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 14th March 2021, 16:59
I'm going to have to do the cambelt on the D5 when the weather gets better as I don't know when it was last changed and it's just ticked over 100k.

What happened to your XC then?

MoleT-5R
Sunday 14th March 2021, 19:39
I'm going to have to do the cambelt on the D5 when the weather gets better as I don't know when it was last changed and it's just ticked over 100k.

What happened to your XC then?

Water pump seized up and popped the belt off, so I could be on a hiding to nothing. I have my fingers crossed though, the xc90 was doing less than 15mph and is auto so I'm hoping every stopped dead without killing the valves, well I can live in hope, will know for sure on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, when I'm next off and have a bit of free time to sort her.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 14th March 2021, 22:19
Water pump seized up and popped the belt off, so I could be on a hiding to nothing. I have my fingers crossed though, the xc90 was doing less than 15mph and is auto so I'm hoping every stopped dead without killing the valves, well I can live in hope, will know for sure on Wednesday or Thursday of this week, when I'm next off and have a bit of free time to sort her.
Oh crap!

Is the water pump a problem on the D5 then?

MoleT-5R
Monday 15th March 2021, 21:15
Only if you have a small leak and you can't trace it, so keep topping up the water as you need the car on the road, but the lesson learned is without the the coolant (lubicatant) the water leak turns into seize water pump, my own fault to be honest and our run out proably didn't help matters

Dangerous Dave
Monday 15th March 2021, 22:25
Ah I see. I keep reading the aux belt is a problem too.