PDA

View Full Version : 2.4 d5 euro 3 in 2004 xc90

Hodge911
Thursday 10th December 2020, 19:22
hi all only my 2nd post [1st was to say hi]
i bought a 2004 xc90 2years back , first thing i did after owning for 2 days was to replace the timing belt , water pump tensioner and idler [used genuine volvo bits] along with new aux drive belt , tensioner ,idler and alternator free wheeling clutch pulley. and a full service . first ever volvo owned and loved it . [carried out all work myself as used to be a mot tester / mechanic but retired in 2012 after a serious back injury resulting in the first 5 vertebrae in my spine being fused together] . all well until mid October when the bottom pulley separated and allowed some of the aux drive belt to wrap around bottom timing belt sprocket and causing catastrophic damage to the head .
i,ve eventually found a good replacement head so set to t replace knackered one . i was amazed to see the amount of black sludge/carbon build up in the intake system . so i set about cleaning and polishing the whole system before rebuild see pics . i also removed all valves and fully decoked the head and had valves and seats recut and lapped in .
my Q now is can i blank off the E.G.R valve where it bolts to the intake elbow ? to help keep everything clean as having all that gunk in the intake system cant be good

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2020, 21:24
From what I can gather there are people who have blanked off the EGR. There are some blanking plates available to buy but you can make your own

Here is one particular thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26187

But I bet there are plenty out there.

uqj83l
Thursday 10th December 2020, 21:34
Blinding job on the cleaning. Total blanking plate will throw a flow too low code. You’ll have to get the software reprogrammed to shut the EGR solenoid permanently closed to prevent the fault code. I’ve done this on my euro 3. Your engine oil will be much more golden and not jet black like most diesels after this mod.

David P
Thursday 10th December 2020, 21:49
Here you go...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EGR-Valve-Blanking-Plate-Volvo-S60-V70-XC70-XC90-D5-2-4D-Series1-engine-Euro3/121412288824?hash=item1c44bc8138:g:NdYAAOSwRh1Zhx2 o

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 10th December 2020, 22:36
I think I know what I'm going to be doing this weekend :) (having just purchased an '04 D5)

Hodge911
Friday 11th December 2020, 10:29
From what I can gather there are people who have blanked off the EGR. There are some blanking plates available to buy but you can make your own

Here is one particular thread:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=26187

But I bet there are plenty out there.

ordered plate ... from what ive managed to read theres 2 plates one has a small hole in centre . i pressume thats to help if you get the low flow problem .
i,m hoping that after getting rid of all the gunk and polishing the whole intake system that it will run nice and smooth

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 10:59
My D5 has just had the same treatment, it alleviates turbo lag and lets a few more horses through.

Smoother & gruntier. :)

However, to reduce the risk of getting caught, I didn't physically blank off the EGR, alternatively, the valve is kept electronically closed and which can be switched back to "legal" at the press of a button.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 11th December 2020, 11:17
However, to reduce the risk of getting caught, I didn't physically blank off the EGR, alternatively, the valve is kept electronically closed and which can be switched back to "legal" at the press of a button.
Is that via a remap of the ecu? or just a DIY thing? Does it throw any codes?

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 11:32
Is that via a remap of the ecu? or just a DIY thing? Does it throw any codes?

It's part of the BSR stage 1 remap.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 11th December 2020, 11:45
Ah I see

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 12:01
Ah I see

It was the ease of install and/or uninstall that was the deciding factor to choose this option.

(Excuse the thread hijack)

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 13:59
I notice that your "gunk" was wet & sludgy yet my "gunk" was dry & crunchy!

Maybe a good idea to check the turbo oil seal?

And inside of the intercooler for more sludge, if you haven't already?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32937&stc=1&d=1607627500

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32918&d=1605797596

Dangerous Dave
Friday 11th December 2020, 17:44
Had a look inside my piping today. It was dry and dusty buildup

I guess maybe oil leaking from the turbo which causes the gunky buildup?

Hodge911
Friday 11th December 2020, 18:04
My D5 has just had the same treatment, it alleviates turbo lag and lets a few more horses through.

Smoother & gruntier. :)

By that I take it you mean cleaned the intake system ?

Hodge911
Friday 11th December 2020, 18:10
I notice that your "gunk" was wet & sludgy yet my "gunk" was dry & crunchy!

Maybe a good idea to check the turbo oil seal?

And inside of the intercooler for more sludge, if you haven't already?

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32937&stc=1&d=1607627500

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=32918&d=1605797596
Sorry mate forgot to say ...
It's got a new intercooler I fitted about 2 months after getting it as I noticed a small drip of oil on drive and on inspection I found that the intercooler was goosed well distorted / corroded . Checked turbo today no oil visible on inlet side there's a VERY SMALL amount of up-down play in shaft but no end float so I'd say its ok (but I'm no turbo expert)

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 18:42
If your intercooler was dripping oil, it could only have come from the turbocharger.

I suggest that you have it inspected by someone who knows his onions, the last thing you want is the engine "going-up" to destruction.

P.S. Take a look inside your new intercooler and see how much oil it has trapped?

Hodge911
Friday 11th December 2020, 20:28
If your intercooler was dripping oil, it could only have come from the turbocharger.

I suggest that you have it inspected by someone who knows his onions, the last thing you want is the engine "going-up" to destruction.

P.S. Take a look inside your new intercooler and see how much oil it has trapped?

Fair comment mate ..
I'll check intercooler in morning .. I've got the intercooler pipes whilst doing the head and from fitting the intercooler nearly 2yrs ago they only had a Very Light misting of oil in them & I mean very light ... which I thought was normal ....
Do you think it would be worth removing turbo and checking / cleaning if needed the variable vanes ?

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 20:49
Turbochargers spin so fast the vanes keep themselves clean, it's the oil seal that you need to be concerned about.

Hodge911
Friday 11th December 2020, 21:01
Turbochargers spin so fast the vanes keep themselves clean, it's the oil seal that you need to be concerned about.
Ok thanks .... I'll get the head job finished and make sure its running ok .... then I'll pull turbo off and get it checked over ... anywhere anyone can recommend ?

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 21:32
Your profile doesn't indicate where you are?

Midland Turbo, Nottingham or London Turbo, Romford; do reconditioned exchange units for around £265.

Or if your budget doesn't go that far, you could always chance a pre-loved unit for £50 - £75 from ebay?

Or now knowing what symptoms to avoid, you could take your pick of the litter at a local scrapyard?

Hodge911
Saturday 12th December 2020, 09:30

I didn't explain that bit very well !
The oil drip wasn't from the intercooler it was from oil pressure switch . It was coincidence that while under the car on the drive I noticed the intercooler was goosed .
I replaced it with a new std one from a local company (£65 with trade discount as I still have mates in the trade)