PDA

View Full Version : C30 D5 Tinkering

David P
Sunday 18th October 2020, 02:53
I have decided to pep-up my C30 D5. :)

The chosen bits & pieces are all gathered ready, now I just need to get them nailed on.

I'm not deleting the cat or DPF, I like more power, yet like being quiet, green & legal too and these mods alone will be more than enough for the auto box to cope with.

Here's my list of collected treasures.

Focus ST front brake dust-guards.
Focus ST Brembo 320mm discs.
Focus ST refurbished OE front callipers.
Focus ST calliper brake pad springs.
Ferodo DS2500 pads - Focus ST front - C30 D5 rear.
Volvo C50 T5 2.5 Turbo AWD Hel braided stainless steel brake flexi-hoses.
Motul RBF600 DOT 4 brake fluid - 1 litre.
K&N air filter.
Airtec C30 D5 intercooler & fitting kit.
Swirl flaps replacement kit with gaskets & O-rings.
8 litres Titan 4400 ATF and a bottle of Lucas SS.
Ford Focus E Transmission torque-mount.
Jetex C30 T5 stainless steel cat back exhaust system.
New DPF with tail-pipe removed and replaced with 2/1/2" id pipe to match exhaust.
BSR PPC3 stage 1.
Additional ATF cooler. (To be sourced?)

I used to do all of my own tinkering, however, degenerative spine disease has put a stop to most of that.
The first job will be to get the local Powerflow exhaust shop to sort out the DPF alteration and fit the exhaust system, the other jobs will get picked off when pals come to visit, Coronavirus & weather depending?

After it has had a manual decoke of the induction system and all of these go faster bits fitted, I'll run it on a rolling road to see what numbers it achieves. Guessing around 240bhp and 340ftlb?

David P
Monday 19th October 2020, 20:54
In no particular order of least resistance...

The K&N air filter and BSR PPC3 stage 1 download are the first to get crossed off the job list.
Considering that the induction system hasn't been decoked yet, I was pleasantly surprised just how much extra get up and grunt this gave. :)

It's booked in next week for the DPF modification and fitting of the Jetex exhaust system.
Spine permitting, I'll try and get the transmission serviced and the new torque mount fitted before then?

Diminishing Projects List

Service transmission
Fit Ford Focus E Transmission torque-mount
Upgrade Brakes
Decoke induction system and fit new swirl flaps
Fit Airtec intercooler

David P
Sunday 25th October 2020, 17:36
Transmission serviced with two (3L) partial ATF changes.
That's the third time in the last 1k miles and the fluid is getting closer to a healthy colour.

Diminishing Projects List

Upgrade Brakes
Decoke induction system and fit new swirl flaps
Fit Airtec intercooler

David P
Wednesday 28th October 2020, 12:39
Good news is; the Jetex exhaust system is on. :)

Not so good news is; one of the DPF pressure lines was broken in the process and the Volvo main Dealer didn't have one in stock. :(

Bad news is; they weren't capable of doing a proper job with the DPF exit-pipe alteration. :(

Preferring my glass to be half-full rather than half-empty. :/

Whilst the car is grounded, I have asked them to fit the brakes, intercooler, swirl-flaps and give the induction a decoke. :)

That will leave just a proper job to be done to the DPF and it can then be reduced to numbers on a rolling road. :)

kmb
Wednesday 28th October 2020, 20:59
Sounds like a decent overhaul, let us know how it goes!

David P
Thursday 19th November 2020, 14:48
Before

David P
Thursday 19th November 2020, 14:57
After

David P
Thursday 19th November 2020, 15:01
All now nice and clean.

With a set of new flaps.

That should let a few more horses through. :)

David P
Thursday 19th November 2020, 16:23
The Ford Focus ST225 320mm front discs, callipers and backplates are on, Ferodo DS2500 pads and Hell braided flexi-hoses are fitted front & back and the lines flushed though with Motul 600 Dot 4.

To help manage the extra going & stopping capabilities, I have treated the Old Girl to a set of Michelin Cross Climate + XL tyres.

It now also has one of these intercoolers to temper the horses heated breath.

And a 2.5" diameter pipe Jetex C30 T5 cat-back exhaust to let some additional horses out.

Just the DPF modification to be redone to my specification and it will then be ready to be reduced to numbers on a dyno. :)

kmb
Thursday 19th November 2020, 19:56
Some good improvements, be interested in how it runs now!

David P
Thursday 19th November 2020, 21:52
So am I.
All being well, I pick it up tomorrow.
Must remember to pay attention to bedding in the brakes first.

David P
Sunday 22nd November 2020, 14:43
She's back. :)

The decoke has eliminated the excessive turbo lag, the better exhaust and K&N filter have no doubt helped improve the throttle response too.

Airtec intercooler, stealthy in black.

The new exhaust has a lower note, yet is even quieter than the stock system and has no drone.
It is the T5 Jetex system that has a small resonator before the back box, but it really doesn't need this.
I could have chosen the "sport pipe" version without this and saved myself £70.
But I like it being quiet/discreet.

Along with the new tyres I had the geometry adjusted, which has noticeably improved the straight line stability and it is now nicer to drive.

The brakes however, are very spongey and the pedal creeps almost to the floor, this combined with rush hour traffic and common sense, dictates that I'll be patient and wait until the extra stopping is happy before I trial the extra going.

Stealthy in black.

Next job is a good wash. ;)

David P
Thursday 26th November 2020, 16:27
There's so much traffic about, you wouldn't believe we're in a Lockdown!

Not even the B roads have been clear enough to play with my new brakes until after 2am.

These are at last nicely bedded in, they are now more responsive and far more eager than they ever were. I am confident that I won't overcook this set up.

The power delivery is now without turbo lag, but my bum dyno hasn't registered much gain from the Airtec intercooler and Jetex exhaust system, yet this is probably because the power delivery is way more linear than it previously was?

It drives nicely at low speed and certainly has plenty of grunt when I ask for it.

I have brimmed the tank with V-Power and added a bottle of injector cleaner to help clear a few more cobwebs.

Next week is MOT time, so I am prepared with 6 litres of Fuchs TITAN SuperSyn LongLife Plus 0W-30 Ultra High Performance Engine Oil, a Mann oil filter and a Dimple magnetic drain plug to be added into the equation whilst she's up on the lift.

Then just the DPF exit pipe mod remains to be refabricated and it will be ready to reduced to numbers a dyno.

The additional transmission oil cooler is not yet fitted, that job was too challenging for the Garage Mechanic. So it can wait until warmer weather returns in the Spring and I'll do that job myself. I don't go far during the winter months and won't be challenging it much until the roads are warmer/drier, consequently, there's little chance of overheating the ATF during the interim cold Winter weather.

kmb
Thursday 26th November 2020, 19:28
Definitely looking after the C30 in the best way!

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 26th November 2020, 22:26
There's so much traffic about, you wouldn't believe we're in a Lockdown!

Not even the B roads have been clear enough to play with my new brakes until after 2am.
Tell me about it! Bloody nightmare trying to get anywhere, and everyone seems to like dawdling along at 40mph

MoleT-5R
Friday 27th November 2020, 01:07
Tell me about it! Bloody nightmare trying to get anywhere, and everyone seems to like dawdling along at 40mph

As you know we can have that problem here in Wales but you don't have to go too far to find a perfect drive around with limited holdups...:haha:

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 28th November 2020, 13:37
As you know we can have that problem here in Wales but you don't have to go too far to find a perfect drive around with limited holdups...:haha:
You lucky guy :D

I've started a new job in Telford so am communting 50-60 minutes each way now. The M54 has roadworks and the A roads are always blocked with muppets who don't know what their high beam is for.

David P
Friday 11th December 2020, 10:27
Oil & filter change and MOT is scheduled for 15th December with the DPF exit pipe upgrade booked for the 22nd followed by a run on the rollers. :)

The present Mestra wheels are looking tatty, so I have bought a set of Rexs', 3 of them are like new but one has been kerbed and in need of refurbishment, which makes it unlikely these will go on until after the Non Christmas Season has passed?

It will then look as good as it goes.

David P
Wednesday 16th December 2020, 17:00
The engine oil & filter change is done, the Dimple magnetic sump plug is fitted and it passed the MOT, :) but not without advisories. :(

Apparently, during it's recent full geometry set up, the Monkey Nick used a gas torch to free up the track rods and doing so, also melted the N/S C.V. boot and both of the track rods are now blue from excessive heat.

So now it needs a new C.V. boot, a pair of track rods and track rod end ball joints. I will make sure these new threads are liberally coated with Copperslip to prevent this from happening again. It's not Rocket Science, why can't Monkey Nicks understand this?

The C.V. boot is not leaking grease yet, but it won't be long before it does.

Whatever, this extra job will have to wait until after the DPF tailpipe rebuild (which is another extra job consequent to another Monkey Nick) and the dyno run that is scheduled for Tuesday, 22nd December.

Monkey Nicks create as many jobs as they complete...

David P
Tuesday 22nd December 2020, 11:22
Apparently, the dyno has a software issue, so the appointment has been rescheduled for Friday 8th January.

David P
Friday 8th January 2021, 23:01
From the bodged job with 2.5" pipe sleeved over 2.25". :(

To a proper job with 2.5" all the way. :)

Also had a dyno run, but it transpires that the job is not jobbed yet?

With the exhaust and intercooler upgrades, it should have more power than this.
(Link below to a graph of expected power without exhaust or intercooler upgrades)

https://www.bsr.se/images/power-charts/Power-Plot-x480y540-106-220339830.png

I have contacted BSR and asked what may be the cause. Response below.

"Most common problem when having low power on this model is

- defective fuel injectors (most likely).
- leaking EGR
- defective boost regulating system."

Given multiple options, I'll begin with the cheapest and easiest.

I haven't yet fitted a new fuel filter, so will try that first and give the boost regulator a good clean, because that job is free.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 9th January 2021, 10:25
Much nicer looking exhaust job :)

Yes it's always a nightmare when the power is down on what it should be, but then it is exposing other issues which would have been causing running problems anyway so all will be well once those are sorted :)

Keep the updates coming!

kmb
Saturday 9th January 2021, 11:19
Plenty of mid-range torque there!

David P
Saturday 9th January 2021, 18:51
There's plenty of torque at it's peak, but it should be a much flatter curve.
Whatever the cause, unfortunately it's not showing a fault code.
I have put 'check swirl-flaps operation' onto my job list.

However, my degenerating spine doesn't like Winter weather which combined with isolation and complication from Covid 19 shielding, progress will be at a geological pace.

David P
Tuesday 19th January 2021, 14:46
Tuesday next week is scheduled to have the Monkey Nic bodges corrected; heat damaged track-rods & ball-joint ends and the melted C/V boot replaced. Since he also fitted the new callipers, it's now showing an ABS fault for both rear brakes which will be investigated too?

Whilst it's there, the fuel filter complete with a new body is being replaced, if this doesn't cure the missing power, I'll have the injectors refurbished?

David P
Tuesday 26th January 2021, 22:10
The Monkey Nic's carnage has been repaired and I now have faith that a track-rod won't fail and at the same time a new fuel filter complete with new body has also been fitted.

Because the roads haven't recovered from yesterdays snowfall, I haven't yet been for a blast to decide if the lost power has been found.

I will let my bum dyno decide as soon as it is sensible to do so.

David P
Wednesday 27th January 2021, 16:34
I have been out for a trundle and my bum dyno reckons that the new fuel filter has found some or all of the missing power. :)

Will book it in for another dyno run to confirm?

kmb
Wednesday 27th January 2021, 17:09
Keep us posted on the results, glad you're making progress.

David P
Wednesday 27th January 2021, 17:24
It has developed a squeaky auxiliary belt tensioner pulley, so I will have that changed along with the belt and fit a new crank pulley before it goes back onto the dyno.

David P
Monday 1st February 2021, 18:37
The service items required have arrived and are scheduled to be fitted Thursday 11th February.

Keeping my project moving and Covid secure, the local Garage is only 50 metres away, they collect & return my car and I pay their account with debit card using the phone.

David P
Friday 12th February 2021, 17:27
It turns out that the squeaky pulley was on the other tensioner, so another complete with belt is on it's way...

David P
Tuesday 23rd February 2021, 17:12
This time, it turns out that the Garage gave me the wrong part numbers for the components required.

Hey Ho! Here we go again...

David P
Tuesday 9th March 2021, 17:19
The squeaking Gremlin is now history. Hurrah!

It now has a new tensioner & belt for the alternator, a new tensioner & belt for the air con, a new crank pulley and a set of new fasteners for the engine bottom cover, so I would hope there will follow many service free miles from that neck of the woods.

With that annoyance out of the way it is ready to be reduced to numbers again, however, in the great scheme of things, it may be prudent to reserve that dyno day out until after I have had my second Covid 19 jab.

David P
Friday 12th March 2021, 02:09
They're only numbers that I can't brag about in Pubs that are closed!

The car's mechanical functions have now been renewed-upgraded and/or serviced into fine enough fettle to go out and 'play-safely' with these as yet unquantified horses, my cup is definitely more than half-full.

On Wednesday, I gave these mythical-horses some mystical-carrots to chase along my favourite B Road.
It was @ dusk, 8 degrees C, light rain, greasy patchy-surface, potholes various/many, loose-gravel patches and recent agricultural traffic soiling, which set the Michelin All Season Plus tyres a good challenge.
Not 'ideal' conditions in which to play with 'ginger' throttle control and 'preemptive' ABS free braking.

The car now has a lot more grunt, with at least as many mystical extra ft-lbs as there are bhp's, which in these conditions were more useful than the horses, not once @ WOT, even though, 1C Leptons mystically momentarily arrived.
In these 'extreme' conditions it was not a 'happy car', skittish traction with handfuls of nothing understeer/various; being the car's mystical response to almost everything. Predictable-ish enough, but more of an un-nerving than an inspiring drive. Warmer, drier and better surfaced A Roads and this will be a happier car.