PDA

View Full Version : Snabb short throw issue

DaveyP
Monday 12th October 2020, 19:34
There's a good chance I'm missing something here, but let's see.

I've just tried to fit a Snabb short throw kit to my 2002 V70 T5. The bolt through the cable and plate is fouling on the selector arm. I've noticed that the arm in the Snabb instruction video is much more simple than mine. My one has a big counter weight and some webbing on it.
Has anyone run into this problem before?

Thanks

uqj83l
Tuesday 13th October 2020, 00:53
An image would help...
I’ve installed the Snabb shifter on my R....and the only fouling was the cable on the shifter casing. Needed to be trimmed with a Dremel

DaveyP
Wednesday 14th October 2020, 13:09

DaveyP
Wednesday 14th October 2020, 13:11
It's the part of the arm between the horizontal bush and thevpivot, if that makes sense?
I've removed the plate again so I can use the car.

DaveyP
Wednesday 14th October 2020, 13:13

Roughly where I've put the black mark in this pic.

uqj83l
Thursday 15th October 2020, 17:56
Thanks for posting the pic. It’s nothing like this on the R. The only part of the cable that fouls on the R is inside the car and the bits on top of the transmission remain exactly the same. It must be a different kit on the 2002 T5.

DaveyP
Thursday 15th October 2020, 22:05
Thank you anyway for your reply.
Any chance of a pic of yours?
I'm thinking I might break out the grinder...

uqj83l
Friday 16th October 2020, 20:31
I’ll try and find an image this weekend. However it looks totally stock as the only modification on the 2004 M66 R is underneath the centre console.

Harvey
Friday 16th October 2020, 22:41
The Snabb kit I fitted is inside the car.
Here's the thread.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?61797-Fitting-A-Snabb-short-shift-kit-to-a-V70R-S60R&highlight=

MoleT-5R
Saturday 17th October 2020, 12:45
Thank you anyway for your reply.
Any chance of a pic of yours?
I'm thinking I might break out the grinder...

Probably your best bet, I think the quickshift you have was originally designed for the m56 type boxes my guessing, most that I know that have fitted these, have either removed them or said afterwards that the improvement wasn't great......Harvey's type of quickshift is a whole different ball game though and looks a very well thought out and engineered modification and may even grace the interior of my P1 V70R AWD Phase3....!!

uqj83l
Saturday 17th October 2020, 18:45
Images below from the M66.
This is the bit on the transmission shown separately.

DaveyP
Tuesday 20th October 2020, 22:13
Mmhm...
These are indeed a step up from what I have. I'm feeling more and more inclined to get grinding. I feel like my kit may have been designed for the earlier V70?
The lever on top of the gearbox on those is much smaller and more simple.

DaveyP
Tuesday 20th October 2020, 22:17
Like this.

DaveyP
Tuesday 20th October 2020, 22:22
Whereas mine's like this.

What is the point of the extra weight? A smoother, more definite shift? And the webbing/bracing to support it?

Any advice welcome.

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 21st October 2020, 07:22
Whereas mine's like this.

What is the point of the extra weight? A smoother, more definite shift? And the webbing/bracing to support it?

Any advice welcome.
As you say it's probably for the extra weight "feel" in shifting the gears.

Like you said you could get the angle grinder out and attack it but I suppose cutting a notch in it is going to weaken the support for the weight so chopping off the whole weight and webbing would be safer.

A less intrusive way would be to modify the short throw kit to somehow raise up the bolt to stop it catching the arm (countersink the short throw plate and use a countersunk head bolt so it sits flush?). Or copying/modifying the design, sending it back and making your own short shift bracket.

DaveyP
Tuesday 9th March 2021, 20:54
For the record and any future interest, I got the grinder out. Removed the weight, and cut the webbing.
All's well. Much shorter, more positive throw.

Only downside, when the car is cold, I sometimes have to go for first before it'll go into reverse.

That's all. I'll post on here if it falls apart in the future!

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 9th March 2021, 22:01
Fingers crossed :D