PDA

View Full Version : 6 pots and 6 gears..

Zaney
Wednesday 2nd September 2020, 19:14
Good evening,

If I was foolish enough to contemplate putting a manual gearbox on a 2.8 six pot in place of the auto, what sort of problems would I come up against?
Firstly is there a box that is a straight swap ( I hear you all laughing in the background) and what would the ECU think about it all.

On the first point, my reasoning is that I should find which other models use the same auto box and then get myself a manual box for the same car...simples......but, I do seem to recall reading an article saying that for the S80 a brand new bespoke box was designed because of the space restrictions. The other mechanical bits like pedal assembly and clutch cylinder etc don't worry me too much.

And how would the ECU react? I read on an old post that the earlier ECUs are more flexible and easier to programme. If the ECU is show stopper what is the favoured aftermarket ECU? I've heard that in Scandinavia the MAXXECU is popular despite it blatantly chavey name!

So, has anyone been down this road and just how painful is it?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

MoleT-5R
Thursday 3rd September 2020, 01:26
Ecu should not really be an issue ( I run auto generic remapped ecu's in my manuals), though your ecu may require some mapping out if there is a rev limit whilst in neutral (4000 rpm on my V70r AWD iirc), as the pnp switch will require jumping to make the vehicle think it is permanently in neutral to allow it to start and run, from what I remember and still have to do on my project. Hope that helps a bit

LeeT5
Saturday 5th September 2020, 10:38
Good evening,

If I was foolish enough to contemplate putting a manual gearbox on a 2.8 six pot in place of the auto, what sort of problems would I come up against?
Firstly is there a box that is a straight swap ( I hear you all laughing in the background) and what would the ECU think about it all.

On the first point, my reasoning is that I should find which other models use the same auto box and then get myself a manual box for the same car...simples......but, I do seem to recall reading an article saying that for the S80 a brand new bespoke box was designed because of the space restrictions. The other mechanical bits like pedal assembly and clutch cylinder etc don't worry me too much.

And how would the ECU react? I read on an old post that the earlier ECUs are more flexible and easier to programme. If the ECU is show stopper what is the favoured aftermarket ECU? I've heard that in Scandinavia the MAXXECU is popular despite it blatantly chavey name!

So, has anyone been down this road and just how painful is it?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi Zaney,

You can only be talking about the S80 Auto, which IIRC, they borrowed the crappy 4 spd auto from GM? It was plagued with issues, so I don't blame you for swapping out.
I'm, pretty sure space is going to be your enemy here....or lack of!

MoleT-5R
Saturday 5th September 2020, 12:55
Hi Zaney,

You can only be talking about the S80 Auto, which IIRC, they borrowed the crappy 4 spd auto from GM? It was plagued with issues, so I don't blame you for swapping out.
I'm, pretty sure space is going to be your enemy here....or lack of!

There is a box that fits, I remember Ettienne selling one some years back, probably find one in a breakers these days, but they are rare, not many s80 6pot manuals imported IIRC.

Ettienne
Saturday 26th September 2020, 14:16
There is a box that fits, I remember Ettienne selling one some years back, probably find one in a breakers these days, but they are rare, not many s80 6pot manuals imported IIRC.

Found it, yes it was a NA 5sp 6 pot 2.8 manual, originally volvo produced the t6 concepts with this box as well then decided to go auto. This is all from memory and god knows how much power it would take being reduced in size and very slim.

Sold it to a chap who sold to Shem, he was going to make a 5 pot t4 s40 touring car rep

MoleT-5R
Sunday 27th September 2020, 04:54
Found it, yes it was a NA 5sp 6 pot 2.8 manual, originally volvo produced the t6 concepts with this box as well then decided to go auto. This is all from memory and god knows how much power it would take being reduced in size and very slim.

Sold it to a chap who sold to Shem, he was going to make a 5 pot t4 s40 touring car rep

don't you mean 6 speed iirc...??

Ettienne
Sunday 27th September 2020, 07:31
don't you mean 6 speed iirc...??

No the super thin box was 5sp, the polestar v60 used a m66 same as S60R etc

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 30th September 2020, 12:13
No the super thin box was 5sp, the polestar v60 used a m66 same as S60R etc

sorry my mistake, though it has been a few years since I read that post