PDA

View Full Version : Correct Antifreze

Tee5alive
Thursday 20th August 2020, 19:58
My new car had a leaking expansion tank so the last owner just kept topping it up....topping it up...etc with just water. So now the cooling system only contains water!

With 37 degree temps where I work :firedevil it may seem a bit daft asking for the 'correct antifreeze':wtf:

I have fitted a new tank but I now want to get the concentrate right for the coming colder months (I certainly HOPE COLDER)

I have the 'orange one' in the Jaguar but I seem to recall the Volvo is BLUE?

2003 V70 D5 SE AUTO

cheers

LeeT5
Monday 24th August 2020, 19:47
Just buy the coolant from Volvo. You'll need 4 bottles. Then drain it from the Radiator drain port and do a fresh refill yourself, using a large clean container to mix 50% water and 50% coolant.

Ric@rdo
Monday 24th August 2020, 23:08
I use distilled water on mine (50/50 mix) ;)

uqj83l
Tuesday 25th August 2020, 17:23
You can flush it through a few times with distilled water only. This will ensure there is only distilled water in the system. Make sure you have the heat turned up on the CCM to circulate the distilled water through the heater matrix. The system is around 7.8litres if my memory is correct and only 4 litres drains out. Once you’ve done your final drain of distilled water you can buy 4 litres as mentioned but pour them in neat. Once this mixes you’ll have a 50/50 mix or fractionally stronger in the system. 50/50 as Lee said is important as the coolant isn’t effective without an equal amount of water and vice versa.

uqj83l
Tuesday 25th August 2020, 17:25
There is also a coolant drain plug on the rear of the block, but it’s difficult to get to unless you have a lift.