PDA

View Full Version : re-program ecu

firestorm
Saturday 17th December 2005, 22:36
hi, i've been talking to someone who owns a volvo independant workshop, he was telling me he can do something do the car, by plugging in a computer, which gives the car more power, anyone heard of this?

S60D5
Saturday 17th December 2005, 22:38
hi, i've been talking to someone who owns a volvo independant workshop, he was telling me he can do something do the car, by plugging in a computer, which gives the car more power, anyone heard of this?

LOL.

Yes.

firestorm
Saturday 17th December 2005, 22:44
i take it it's been around for a while, i'm new to volvo tuning, done the regular servicing etc on them, but i now really fancy a t5 estate, dont know why, but there's something about them

is it worth having done, i know you dont get something for nothing, more power will mean less MPG, shorter engine life, etc, etc, etc

S60D5
Saturday 17th December 2005, 22:51
i take it it's been around for a while, i'm new to volvo tuning, done the regular servicing etc on them, but i now really fancy a t5 estate, dont know why, but there's something about them

is it worth having done, i know you dont get something for nothing, more power will mean less MPG, shorter engine life, etc, etc, etc

Hi mate,

Most people on this forum have had something done to their ECU.

The main people are RICA (http://www.volvotuninguk.com), TME (http://www.kalmar-union.com) and BSR (supplied by Volvo tuning).

Rica supposedly gives you up to 10% BETTER fuel economy....

volvotuning
Saturday 17th December 2005, 22:58

That is how you extract power from all modern cars. All the engine parameters are stored on a sort of spread sheet in the engine computer. By changing the values in this spread sheet, you can change the performance of the engine. You do this by hooking up the car to a computer to basically reload a different spreadsheet into the engine computer.

Adam.

pzorb
Saturday 17th December 2005, 23:49
a sort of spread sheet in the engine computer
My car's got Microsoft Excel? :borg_ani: No wonder it's so unreliable! LOL! :comp:

S60D5
Saturday 17th December 2005, 23:57
My car's got Microsoft Excel? :borg_ani: No wonder it's so unreliable! LOL! :comp:

Oh god, can you imagine a Windows based ECU? Where would the BSOD be displayed? Hehe.

Engineer
Sunday 18th December 2005, 00:08
My car's got Microsoft Excel? :borg_ani: No wonder it's so unreliable! LOL! :comp:Powerpoint works for me........................................ :hilarious
Word for get you home limp mode................. :snail:

Justin
Sunday 18th December 2005, 07:19
Oh god, can you imagine a Windows based ECU?
NO!

jross
Sunday 18th December 2005, 07:36
Oh god, can you imagine a Windows based ECU? Where would the BSOD be displayed? Hehe.

You'd be amazed at the sort of widgets running on embedded windows OSes. It's really quite frightening.

(Frankly, as a complete aside, I think as a society we've gone too far with integrating computers into inappropriate applications. When we have reached a day and age where one's computer can catch a virus via the wireless connection on a cellular phone, I really think we need to reconsider what we're doing. If that doesn't sell you on it, go play with iDrive or Comand for 10 minutes >_< )

firestorm
Sunday 18th December 2005, 10:02
does that mean i have to press the start button to turn it off?
do these completly loose control for no reason, and the only way round it is to completly re-boot the system?

pzorb
Sunday 18th December 2005, 12:57
A chemist, a mechanical engineer and a computer scientist are passing through a vast desert in a car when suddenly the engine breaks down.

"There must have been some sudden increase of enthalpy in the cylinder", the chemist says.

"Nonsense, the fan-belt has broken", the engineer replies.

After thinking a while the computer scientist suggests: "Let's get out and in again, that should do."

__

An engineer, a mathematician, and a computer programmer are driving down the road when the car they are in gets a flat tire. The engineer says that they should buy a new car. The mathematician says they should sell the old tire and buy a new one. The computer programmer says they should drive the car around the block and see if the tire fixes itself.

__

A doctor, an architect, and a computer scientist were arguing about whose profession was the oldest. In the course of their arguments, they got all the way back to the Garden of Eden, whereupon the doctor said, "The medical profession is clearly the oldest, because Eve was made from Adam's rib, as the story goes, and that was a simply incredible surgical feat."
The architect did not agree. He said, "But if you look at the Garden itself, in the beginning there was chaos and void, and out of that, the Garden and the world were created. So God must have been an architect."
The computer scientist, who had listened to all of this said, "Yes, but where do you think the chaos came from?"

I get at least one of them a week told to me!

JPY
Sunday 18th December 2005, 15:55
Hi mate,

Most people on this forum have had something done to their ECU.

The main people are RICA (http://www.volvotuninguk.com), TME (http://www.kalmar-union.com) and BSR (supplied by Volvo tuning).

Rica supposedly gives you up to 10% BETTER fuel economy....

I'm new here, so stupid question alert!

can anyone confirm the better fuel economy?

what is the approx cost?

Thanks!

Mrsmopp
Sunday 18th December 2005, 17:45
If you dont change your driving style (which I am sure you will ;)) then you can see around an extra 2-3mpg.

Costs depends on the model you have

x

firestorm
Sunday 18th December 2005, 18:52
aahhhh, i can see a bit of a problem there for me, i tend to have a bit of a heavy right boot, even more when i see a boy racer at the lghts...

arbee
Monday 19th December 2005, 20:23
costwise anywhere from around £400 upwards. Dont think of it as an expensive computer programe, more of a long term investment!

as an aside... Not heard of anyone as 'formatting their engine' but I'm sure it will come lol!