PDA

View Full Version : CEM fault

Bluwale
Friday 13th March 2020, 19:07
I need to get my CEM checked over to discount it being the culprit for non-starting issues. Does anyone know of a decent place that can check it out and if necessary fix it? I've got a couple of places near to me but the feedback on both goes from brilliant to avoid with nothing in between. Nothing is perfect but can't really trust these swing reviews.
Thanks

LeeT5
Friday 13th March 2020, 19:24
I need to get my CEM checked over to discount it being the culprit for non-starting issues. Does anyone know of a decent place that can check it out and if necessary fix it? I've got a couple of places near to me but the feedback on both goes from brilliant to avoid with nothing in between. Nothing is perfect but can't really trust these swing reviews.
Thanks

Where in UK are you and what makes you think it's the CEM?

Bluwale
Friday 13th March 2020, 19:33
Where in UK are you and what makes you think it's the CEM?

I'm in Kent. I've plugged the car into VIDA and have fuel pressure. New battery in place and new starter motor which was on its way out. Taken plug out and turned over, spark non exist ant or intermittent at best. When car was running electrics went haywire on driving with dash all over the place indicators not working and all manner of things like car was possessed! Other forums suggest this could point to CEM. I'm just going through components one by one to tick them off. Thanks

LeeT5
Friday 13th March 2020, 20:53
I'm in Kent. I've plugged the car into VIDA and have fuel pressure. New battery in place and new starter motor which was on its way out. Taken plug out and turned over, spark non exist ant or intermittent at best. When car was running electrics went haywire on driving with dash all over the place indicators not working and all manner of things like car was possessed! Other forums suggest this could point to CEM. I'm just going through components one by one to tick them off. Thanks

Sounds like you have an Earth problem to me.
Where in Kent?

I also have VIDA. Happy to try and help you fix the issue?
Could probably come out to you on Monday if your about?

Harvey
Friday 13th March 2020, 23:36
What car and year is it as the DIM can play up , is the dash display working ok the message box reading ok ?.

Bluwale
Saturday 14th March 2020, 07:52
Sounds like you have an Earth problem to me.
Where in Kent?

I also have VIDA. Happy to try and help you fix the issue?
Could probably come out to you on Monday if your about?

I'm very close to J4 M20.
I would very much appreciate a second opinion, especially from someone with much more experience with this car. Unfortunately, I'm working Monday and won't be back till late, Covid-19 permitting! I'm about most Fridays.
I've checked some of the earth paths as I had read that this can lead to issues but seemed OK so far. Thanks

Bluwale
Saturday 14th March 2020, 07:57
What car and year is it as the DIM can play up , is the dash display working ok the message box reading ok ?.

DIM is next to check if CEM OK as I read that too about reflowing the circuit tracks to remake them. But it is working as far as I can tell. Although lots of warnings like reduced engine performance!
To be honest there doesn't look to be much wrong with the CEM. No real sign of water ingress or overheating but it would be nice to discount it from being the problem. Thanks

Bluwale
Saturday 14th March 2020, 16:10
DIM is next to check if CEM OK as I read that too about reflowing the circuit tracks to remake them. But it is working as far as I can tell. Although lots of warnings like reduced engine performance!
To be honest there doesn't look to be much wrong with the CEM. No real sign of water ingress or overheating but it would be nice to discount it from being the problem. Thanks

53 plate V70r.

LeeT5
Sunday 15th March 2020, 17:50
I'm very close to J4 M20.
I would very much appreciate a second opinion, especially from someone with much more experience with this car. Unfortunately, I'm working Monday and won't be back till late, Covid-19 permitting! I'm about most Fridays.
I've checked some of the earth paths as I had read that this can lead to issues but seemed OK so far. Thanks

Blimey! I live 2 miles from Junc 4.

PM me your phone number and I'll be in touch.

Early 03 model R's suffered with water ingress to the CEM via the wiring harness. However, ALL should have had a recall for that issue and it was later resolved with a modified harness in 2004> models.
You can check with the dealer if your model was done or not.

Bluwale
Saturday 21st March 2020, 10:26
Blimey! I live 2 miles from Junc 4.

PM me your phone number and I'll be in touch.

Early 03 model R's suffered with water ingress to the CEM via the wiring harness. However, ALL should have had a recall for that issue and it was later resolved with a modified harness in 2004> models.
You can check with the dealer if your model was done or not.

I've had the CEM out and there is no sign of water ingress. But without testing it cannot be sure. I didn't know there was a recall on this. I'll give Lipscombe a call at Aylesford and see if they have anything on record.

I'll PM you my number.

Thanks Lee