PDA

View Full Version : Is there a (secret ?) way of adjusting main beams only ?

MistralS60
Monday 13th January 2020, 11:39
My '04 S60 is only a 2.0T, but seems pretty quick to me, so I'd love to try a T5 ! I know The Knowledge resides on here, so here goes.

Having reset the headlights to about the right positions for driving on the left (the car's RHD but I think it had been abroad and someone forgot to reset the headlights when they returned to the UK) I find the main beams do little more than augment the dips, i.e. they point down far too much.

To repeat the title, is there a (secret ?) way of adjusting the main beams only ? AFAICS the 6mm hex plastic adjusters move the whole headlight unit. Just replaced the HB3 bulbs in the main beams as the originals had brown deposits inside, but this has made no difference.

Presumably the level control on the dash moves the whole unit like the hex adjusters. Does anyone know if the main beams can be made level-ish using the hex adjusters without the dipped beams blinding folks coming the other way ?

Many TIA !

LeeT5
Saturday 18th January 2020, 06:50
Firstly, double check you've installed the bulbs correctly and that are seated properly. Very easy to make a mistake (apparently) I see it so often in my job where owners have fitted a bulb incorrectly. Beam pattern will be massively affected if it's not seated correctly.
Secondly, to answer the Q....No. There is not a single or individual adjustment, secret or otherwise, just for the High beam.

MistralS60
Sunday 19th January 2020, 12:48
Many thanks, Lee.

I'll check the fitting, but am I right in thinking that the socket for the power lead should point downward ? (Stupid Q, I know !) And the lugs are pigs to get into position !

Regards
keith