PDA

View Full Version : Front control arms - should I buy Volvo genuine, or are there good pattern parts?

Nick0
Thursday 21st November 2019, 21:08
Front control arms - should I buy Volvo genuine, or are there good pattern parts?

LeeT5
Saturday 23rd November 2019, 07:47
Why replace the arms? Just replace the bushes. I recommend Poly on both.
Dramatically improves handling without compromising comfort. :beer:

Nick0
Saturday 23rd November 2019, 08:33

Thanks Lee, i thought about that but my car has done almost 70k now so I'm expecting the ball joints to need replacing soon too

Nick0
Saturday 23rd November 2019, 08:35

Cracking wagon by the way, and the best colour too B-)

LeeT5
Tuesday 26th November 2019, 07:35
Most control arms do not come with ball joints, including OE. A pair of Febi Bilstein arms will set you back around £150, OE is closer to £200. Then you gotta get the ball joints, around £40 ea for good quality ones.
So for £300 you've gained a minor improvement but with the same slow deterioration of the parts!

I would buy x2 OE Ball joints from Volvo. Then buy Powerflex bushes:

PFF88-601 - Front wishbone front bush £100 (pair)
PFF88-600 - Front arm rear bush £50 (pair).

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/S60+AWD+%282001-2009%29-238/1.html

Total spend will be roughly the same as going stock BUT you'll get a huge improvement in steering and control plus total longevity and no degradation of parts! Win Win!!

ECP stock the Powerflex bushes, so as an RSS you get a heavy discount on them :D

Then just get a full wheel alignment and enjoy!

Nick0
Tuesday 26th November 2019, 10:03
Most control arms do not come with ball joints, including OE. A pair of Febi Bilstein arms will set you back around £150, OE is closer to £200. Then you gotta get the ball joints, around £40 ea for good quality ones.
So for £300 you've gained a minor improvement but with the same slow deterioration of the parts!

I would buy x2 OE Ball joints from Volvo. Then buy Powerflex bushes:

PFF88-601 - Front wishbone front bush £100 (pair)
PFF88-600 - Front arm rear bush £50 (pair).

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products/S60+AWD+%282001-2009%29-238/1.html

Total spend will be roughly the same as going stock BUT you'll get a huge improvement in steering and control plus total longevity and no degradation of parts! Win Win!!

ECP stock the Powerflex bushes, so as an RSS you get a heavy discount on them :D

Then just get a full wheel alignment and enjoy!

Thank you Lee!

Nick0
Tuesday 26th November 2019, 11:00

p.s. Lee excuse my stupidity/ignorance but what's an RSS ? and ECP is Eurocarparts?
With thanks from your student Nick0!

LeeT5
Tuesday 26th November 2019, 19:26
p.s. Lee excuse my stupidity/ignorance but what's an RSS ? and ECP is Eurocarparts?
With thanks from your student Nick0!

PM sent.

jellison
Monday 2nd December 2019, 11:46
I asked this and as per Lee saying, I just did the original arms with the Polybushed (on the bottom arms) and replaced one top ball joint as that was out of spec at MOT as was play in lower arms.

Much better after. Never gonna be a sportscar though ;)

LeeT5
Saturday 7th December 2019, 03:40
Now available from VParts Sweden.

https://vparts.se/eu/lankarmskit-forstarkta-lankarmar-volvo-s60-v70.html

Comes with reinforced rubber bushing and Poly bush. All you need is the lower ball joint and your good to go!
Absolute bargain!!!

Nick0
Wednesday 18th December 2019, 08:57
thanks gents. Swedish site says €203 par, be great if this was for a pair but somehow i doubt it!

LeeT5
Thursday 19th December 2019, 07:33
thanks gents. Swedish site says €203 par, be great if this was for a pair but somehow i doubt it!

The English word 'pair' means Par in Swedish mate. So you will get two :B_thumb:

Nick0
Thursday 19th December 2019, 08:20
The English word 'pair' means Par in Swedish mate. So you will get two :B_thumb:

nice!!