PDA

View Full Version : Rear main oil seal on C70

Pliskin
Friday 3rd May 2019, 10:34
Hi all,
I have got a 2001 C70 T5 auto with 75k which I have had for a number of years and its generally only used in the "summer" months.

I have just had a call from the garage to say its failed its MOT on the ROS brake caliper and track rod ends with the bill being just over £400. The rear window has also completely detached itself from the fabric and a vehicle trimmer is going to see it to give me a price.

Over the last eighteen months it has developed an oil leak, which isn't horrendous but is steady. Trouble is the garage cant find the source.

My dilemma is do I fork out for the other repairs without finding the leak. The oil seems to be dripping off the front cross member, could this indicate rear main seal or would it present itself further back on the engine.

Thanks.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 3rd May 2019, 19:01
£400 for track rod ends and a caliper? They having a laugh?

The RMS would cause a leak from the bottom of the bell housing I'd have thought. Being an auto box it will have an oil cooler for the gearbox oil which is located in the radiator on the near side. The hose clips can deteriorate and cause leaks. There may be an extra oil cooler in front of the radiator which could also be the source of a leak.

Best thing to do is trace it back if you can, look higher to see where it is coming from.

Pliskin
Saturday 4th May 2019, 09:49
Thanks for that mate, I've got the vehicle trimmer coming this morning to see if he can sort the roof glass out, if not there's not many options open.

Dangerous Dave
Saturday 4th May 2019, 16:24
Fingers crossed for you.