PDA

View Full Version : 15g turbo rebuild - advice please?

woz
Monday 24th December 2018, 18:06
We have been trying to reassemble a 15g using a new rebuild kit from turborebuild.co.uk. It all came apart ok and mostly gone back ok, EXCEPT...it is a real struggle to get the turbine piston ring to engage in the hosing without forcing. The book says "finesse it in, patience is needed and experience helps" . I have little of the latter and the former is running low. Looked at great vid on youtube from ARD Tuning and they made it look so easy you cannot even see how he does it, it just clicks in with a little wiggle.
Wecspent over 20 mins each trying to get the shaft with ring instaled to lock into the retaining bore, it just seems too large. Can this be?

Has anyone on here done much of this and got any top tips? Tbh its the first time i have been inside a turbo so i dont really trust myself not to overdo something and break it. Cheers WOZ

nobananas
Monday 24th December 2018, 19:50
I've rebuilt a couple, don't remember having to force anything to install the shaft.

woz
Monday 24th December 2018, 20:19
Mmm. Thanks. Wonder if the piston ring has got stretched slightly when going onto the shaft...

nobananas
Monday 24th December 2018, 20:55
Only other advice I can give is make sure everything is spotlessly clean and there isn't any carbon trapped in the piston ring groove etc.

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Dangerous Dave
Monday 24th December 2018, 21:13
I did have to tap mine to get it in, it does 'click' into place, also put some oil on it so it slid in easier.

woz
Tuesday 9th April 2019, 21:59
Thanks Dave - it all went together in the end. Just being a bit girlie with I think.
W

MoleT-5R
Wednesday 10th April 2019, 12:26
Better to be safe than sorry, sometimes things do need a little persuasion to go together, glad to hear you've completed your turbo rebuild.

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 11th April 2019, 22:09
Thanks Dave - it all went together in the end. Just being a bit girlie with I think.
W
All good then :)

Back to boostly awesomeness