PDA

View Full Version : Reduced Wheelspin

Gwaredd
Thursday 17th February 2005, 23:09
Are there any geometry settings that will help reduce wheelspin? I know it's never gonna go away, but was just wondering if anyone had come up with a solution since 1994, or is it as good as it gets.

I have all this power & can't put it down, especially on damp greasy roundabouts. 1.1 nova's can beat me off the line when it's raining! :eek:

Gwaredd.

lance
Friday 18th February 2005, 01:26
Feed the throtle in gently each gear change will help before flooring it , sudden down changes and stamping on the throtle will cause major wheel spin!
Hitting full turbo preasure in 2nd and 3rd on a normal bad surface and wheel spin kicks in !
I often drive to the point of spin and useing the low down boost and torque, or ease off throtle at point of spin which varies depending on angle and how straight the wheels are pointing and the road surface conditions

In Icey conditions its easy to get beaten off the lights as the wheels tend to spin very low down as the boost comes in sharper and the surface is craper!

My old 850 would spin up in every gear incuding 5th between 2k rpm and 3krpm in really icey frezzing cold wet on upto full throtle compleatly stock allowing a hard driven diesel mondeo urinate all over me!

Feeding the power takes practice because conditons vary so much , cold air can give you more boost but often crap road conditions, a combination of cold air and dry road conditions is ideal for very quick acceleration.

Bigger R wheels can help so can a strut brace and suspension upgrade. I havent done the suspension upgrade yet , the strut brace is very good value but does make a big dong noise if you hit a pothole or low iron works in the road but well worth it anyway !
I recomend a VT suspension upgrade on the feedback Ive been given and hope to get myself one one day

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th February 2005, 09:55
My old 850 would spin up in every gear incuding 5th between 2k rpm and 3krpm in really icey frezzing cold wet on upto full throtle compleatly stock allowing a hard driven diesel mondeo urinate all over me!

She doesn't anymore - she's quite refined these days LOL

But yes i have found (it may seem obvious but) that feeding the power in is the only way to keep the power down!! I can now beat a scooby off the lights in the wet!

x

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th February 2005, 12:25
I used to run pirelli P6000's and they spun a lot. My recommendation is vredestein ultracs. Superb tyres in all conditions

lance
Friday 18th February 2005, 13:02
She doesn't anymore - she's quite refined these days LOL

But yes i have found (it may seem obvious but) that feeding the power in is the only way to keep the power down!! I can now beat a scooby off the lights in the wet!

x

Was not long after I bought her very icey think there was snow about and the tyres were not great and I was still getting used to T5 power!

Looking forward to having a run in winnie again one day , theres somthing I miss about driving an 850 t5 saloon over a V70 Estate.
My Dogs 5 1/2 so I ve got a long time to wait till I will be able to justify a saloon again! :hidesbehi

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th February 2005, 13:04
You're welcome to the keys at the next meet hun! :wink:

x

Murphy
Friday 18th February 2005, 13:37

x

So how about a beer in Notts sunday afternoon ?

All welcome ?

Mrsmopp
Friday 18th February 2005, 13:39
Am in Kent for the next 4 weekends......

x

Wobbly Dave
Friday 18th February 2005, 13:41
So how about a beer in Notts sunday afternoon ?

All welcome ?
I might be tempted to come over for a chat, Andy!

lance
Friday 18th February 2005, 14:13

x

Thankyou :wink:

siamblue
Friday 25th February 2005, 10:47
You could fit wider tyres?
I have almost eliminated wheelspin in mine,
Rica'd S70 but i am running 235s :dgrin:

Wobbly Dave
Friday 25th February 2005, 11:29
Yeah but you were always a bit of a wide boy!

clive d
Friday 25th February 2005, 22:14
wat bout racelogic launch control system?
i remember adams 850r in wakefield an that went like missile!

phil
Monday 7th March 2005, 10:23
Ive found if I back of the throttle too sharply, under wheelspin, then turbo slows down too much, so try slipping the clutch and balancing the clutch and throttle never fully releasing clutch till you're sure of full traction, possibly the end of third even in the dry.

Cant say this does much good for you clutch though! Also possible to over rev and hit rev limiter, but it can give you quick acceleration, but anything like full throttle in 1st gear wont get you anywhere fast in the wet.

siamblue
Monday 7th March 2005, 10:35
Yeah but you were always a bit of a wide boy!

Love you too :eek: :wink: