PDA

View Full Version : Towing?

Quicksilver
Saturday 20th October 2018, 23:06
I know there’s a chance I may get flamed but here goes:wink: we’ve bought a two berth caravan and so far the wife and two dogs are loving it we’re off to Cornwall again on Thursday, we’ve done two trips so far and the thing I notice is she seems laboured in the way she pulls, better in sport as she holds gears a bit longer.
Is this normal never towed anything before, the van is rated 1300kg all up and the handbook for the R has her at a max of 1600kg

LeeT5
Tuesday 23rd October 2018, 07:35
Come on man, what do you expect? You've just added 1.3ton to the weight of your car.

You'd be better off with a Diesel for that rather than a petrol. Better low down torque due to the LPT. Don't forget the R turbo boost is torque dependant, so you'd need to have the revs above 3k to prevent to feel it pulling. Your gonna be in single figures (mpg) most of the time too.

Quicksilver
Saturday 3rd November 2018, 20:02
Your gonna be in single figures (mpg) most of the time too.

Not quite, just back from a trip to Cornwall averaged 13 on the way down😬 she threw up a lambda light while I was there cleared that and she done 18 on the way back.

Thanks for your opinion anyway.

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 4th November 2018, 01:04
As Lee has said, our cars aren't the best for towing compared to a diesel with lower end torque, etc. It would be nice if they were and we can dream :)

Also.....
:worthless

Quicksilver
Saturday 5th October 2019, 13:42
As Lee has said, our cars aren't the best for towing compared to a diesel with lower end torque, etc. It would be nice if they were and we can dream :)

Also.....
:worthless
Well update, done four trips with her now and getting used to how to drive with the van on and she’s averaging 17mpg which is the same as she does round town.

LeeT5
Saturday 5th October 2019, 21:08
Well update, done four trips with her now and getting used to how to drive with the van on and she’s averaging 17mpg which is the same as she does round town.

Why don't you get the car remapped for Towing?

A simple remap with High torque at low rpm will sort that. You won't get much poke higher up the rev range though.

Quicksilver
Thursday 12th December 2019, 21:38
Problem solved with the purchase of project Black Bess (the wife named it)32512

Loving it so far, don’t worry the R’s not going anywhere soon.

LeeT5
Friday 13th December 2019, 10:02
Oh dear.

Dangerous Dave
Friday 13th December 2019, 11:24
:D :D I like it. Still not an R tho :P