PDA

View Full Version : Cooling Fan Issue (97 V70R)

Muzzleflash
Monday 13th August 2018, 10:41
I'm slightly suspect of my cooling Fan. It runs when the temp gauge - eventually - gets to halfway and usually even in semi-hot conditions as per today. I know my thermostat is knackered as in Winter the gauge will REALLY struggle to get to halfway. Am changing that this week, though I'm assuming the fan issue is related to a faulty ETS too??
��

Dangerous Dave
Monday 13th August 2018, 13:05
The fan doesn't kick in until the engine is over normal temperature (mine gets to about 102 celcius when the fans comes on). If your thermostat is dodgy the the engine will probably struggle to reach normal temps.

The fact your fan is running when it gets hot should mean your ETS is working ok. A dodgy ETS can also cause issues with fueling.

See if a new thermostat solves the problem, the fan should kick in at idle when the engine gets hot.

Muzzleflash
Monday 13th August 2018, 13:26
The fan doesn't kick in until the engine is over normal temperature (mine gets to about 102 celcius when the fans comes on). If your thermostat is dodgy the the engine will probably struggle to reach normal temps.

The fact your fan is running when it gets hot should mean your ETS is working ok. A dodgy ETS can also cause issues with fueling.

See if a new thermostat solves the problem, the fan should kick in at idle when the engine gets hot.

Cheers mate - just purchased both a new stat and ETS. Will fit Wednesday. Also, where is the coolant drain plug located on the radiator?? I've not had a look yet..

Muzzleflash
Monday 13th August 2018, 13:52
Just to add - on a hot day it will reach normal temp, but even if the ambient temperature drops a little it struggles. On a really cold day forget it - 1/4 up the temp gauge max if you're lucky. God knows why I didn't change it earlier in the year...��

Dangerous Dave
Monday 13th August 2018, 15:57
There are two coolant drains, both are threaded tube types.

One should be on the bottom right of the radiator (looking at the car from the front). There is a hole in the plastic shield under the bumper where you can get a long reach socket and extension to undo it (think it's 13mm). This one is plastic so beware when tightening.

The other is on the block underneath the exhaust manifold just behind the water pump. Not easy to get to. Mainly used for draining the block.

Lol a lower temp probably means you have using more fuel.

Muzzleflash
Tuesday 14th August 2018, 09:03
So before driving home from work last night, I decided to agitate the ECT sensor wires with a pair of long nosed pliers. I also sprayed the area with some electrical contact cleaner. On the journey home, the temp gauge came up much quicker to the 3PM position and I got a steady 26mpg - so it's looking like it had dry, lazy continuity...