PDA

View Full Version : Suspension - again - sorry

baconsarney
Wednesday 8th August 2018, 12:23
So, I’ve trawled and searched but don’t seem to have found the answer i’m Looking for .... I have a ‘95 850 T5 auto estate which is on original suspension front and rear... have all the crashy wallowy symptoms of very tired shocks and springs/struts... so my question is, what are the options? What make to go with, original spec or stiffer/lower etc... I’m sure a complete refresh with all original spec shocks/springs/struts/bushes will transform the car but any advice or suggestions very welcome..
TIA Richard

Shinsplintz 101
Wednesday 8th August 2018, 20:11
Go for BC coilovers (about £700 all for corners) or if your budget can stretch a set of KW V2s (£1300) With the correct spring weights & damper settings the ride will be transformed both for everyday driving & with a few clicks on the damper settings brilliant for more spirited efforts/trackday. Will feel like a modern car (baring wind noise possibly).

There are a mass of OEM /aftermarket replacement shocks & springs, but at the end of the day it's 20yr old suspension set up - coil overs have come a long way in the past 10 years & will out perform the original set up even when new - keeping the front suspension stiffer will.allow you too reduce front wheel & make.the car more predictable through the twisties. An updated ARB can help with his from IPD or similar. Don't forget top mounts, arb droplinks, TR ends, sub frame poly bushes, front wishbones, rear delta links & pretty much everything else rubber that will have perished over the past 20+yrs. Parts are cheap, labour will add up unless you fancy a crack, which most of us do. Worth the effort though, they can be a great sleeper & entertaining drive. If your going for extra power on the auto get a Aux trans fluid cooler - extra HP = extra heat = transmission death. 300bhp will be your realistic limit with the auto. Good luck & happy modding!

Cheers, Morgan

baconsarney
Friday 10th August 2018, 15:26
Hi Morgan thanks for the info, very interesting and muchly appreciated... :)

MoleT-5R
Saturday 11th August 2018, 01:37
lol...I think most are at the suspension fully needs to be re-built stage tbh... my cars included, some of mine have had new shocks all round etc... but you still find them wanting something more...lol

dahamsta
Monday 3rd September 2018, 13:21
I concur on the BC BR coilovers, have them fitted to my estate and they're a great combo of good handling and nice ride. Bit awkward to adjust on the rear by all accounts - job I need to get to myself - but it's not like that's a job you do on a regular basis anyway.