PDA

View Full Version : Large Discs

Tee5alive
Thursday 2nd August 2018, 20:21
Can anyone please point me to who can supply the CORRECT large T5 front discs? I keep being given undersize ones, Eurocarparts, GSF the list goes on! I give them the reg number but they still give me the wrong parts.

Are they the Brembo discs? there seem to be three sizes 285/305/320?

As I am doing a complete front end rebuild ( I didnt need to as only one wisbone was faulty and one wheel bearing) but to keep the car balanced and safe I have decided to strip the hubs right down, pressures washing the hubs, new wheel bearings, lower suspension joints, wishbones and discs BOTH sides.

cheers

Finally getting the T Burner sorted!

Grotty hubs with old bearings

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 3rd August 2018, 00:38
Presumably yours is the 305mm discs. I assume you've validated that.

When you've ordered them, have you just given your reg and trusted the supplier to provide what comes up on the system? When I search for parts on EuroCarParts by reg number, the results show me all 3 variants of the disc. Since I know mine are 305 then that is what I would order, but I do remember the confusion when I came to do my brake overhaul a few years ago and not knowing at that time if mine were 285 or 305.

Order online and choose the right size, and that's what you should receive. Don't let the supplier decide based upon the reg number

Tee5alive
Friday 3rd August 2018, 08:07
Hi

Yes been caught out by Euro whatsit ONCE. Had the car up on stands and at the time NO OTHER car available took the discs home (luckily walking distance) and found them way too small!

I looked last night and they HAVE changed their system and as you sya now list Brembo's and 2 other sizes but these ALL come up against my reg number?

many thanks

Gold 'N' Brown
Friday 3rd August 2018, 09:38
Yeah, the reg number is no guarantee of the right size as I presume the 305s must have been like a factory option at new. Might have been linked to what size wheels the car was specced with when ordered.

In the same way, if I put my reg in to Blackcircles to choose tyres, it always defaults the the tyres for the 16" wheel and so I have to manually select the 225/45/R17 size.

Exactly the same issue with my 9-5, there were multiple changes in brakes over the years and it's even MORE confusing than on the V70! I had to order some stuff for it the other day and even going by the VIN number (where suppliers say one option applies up to a certain VIN and the next option applies from the next VIN number etc) mine is not right. My rear discs seem to match what is recommended by VIN (but I won't know until go to fit em), but my rear calipers are of a later type and don't match what it should have by VIN number. And I'm absolutely sure this is not due to modding etc, but rather it's just down to some inconsistency at the factory. Maybe it's a Swedish thing, I dunno, but it goes to show that this area can be a minefield.

jellison
Friday 3rd August 2018, 14:15
What are you saying you have on it (tape measure)?

Aren't the Cop upgraded ones 320 with std calipers on a spacers. So if a Std T5 you should have the 305's (what mine had).

Best just take to Jamie at http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com on jamie@pfsparts.com he'll sort you out.

You have alot of Dead Ex-Volvo'a dn no you can't have my R (Manual :)).

Tee5alive
Saturday 4th August 2018, 21:00
Both the V70 and C70 have engines that run like Swiss watches perfect. Im just sorting things out whilst I have it up in the air, the discs were only an advisory so...... I put 20,000 a year on these cars so new parts all help :)
Its only the D5 thats a bucket of whatsname lol.