PDA

View Full Version : When is it enough and you call it quits

NECC
Friday 22nd June 2018, 20:43

Are these faults common for a 1999 V70 R AWD or is my car finally telling me its time to pull the plug and end the misery lol

Dangerous Dave
Friday 22nd June 2018, 22:06
What is the difference between DTC is active and not active? Is 'not active' a historical code and no longer detected?

NECC
Sunday 24th June 2018, 20:39
What is the difference between DTC is active and not active? Is 'not active' a historical code and no longer detected?

Not sure Dave, i`m getting the vvt and the oxygen sensor done when i get back from my hols and hopefully get it back to running sweet again

LeeT5
Tuesday 26th June 2018, 02:50

I think your right there Dave.

A DTC is present but not active....meaning it's historic.

First thing I'd do is delete all the codes then drive for 50 miles with at least 3 switch off cycles in between. Then reread the car and see what comes back! Make sure you use the air-con too!

NECC
Wednesday 27th June 2018, 20:20
I think your right there Dave.

A DTC is present but not active....meaning it's historic.

First thing I'd do is delete all the codes then drive for 50 miles with at least 3 switch off cycles in between. Then reread the car and see what comes back! Make sure you use the air-con too!

Cheers Lee, but she running a little too rough to risk driving the 50 miles at the moment i think.

LeeT5
Thursday 28th June 2018, 10:32
ECM-644A and ECM-280A are the only fault codes active that's in relation to rough running, the rest are minor. Looks to me like both could be an easy fix!

In the mean time, have a read of this as you may find it useful;

Fault code ECM644A

This is a cut and paste from VADIS for you anyway:

Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-644A is stored in the engine control module (ECM) if the camshaft is not in the correct position. The engine control module (ECM) registers this as a fault as soon as the engine is started.
The engine control module (ECM) registers a fault and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-644A is stored in the engine control module (ECM) if the camshaft position (CMP) sensor flanker is not correct in relation to the engine speed (RPM) sensor.
The engine control module (ECM) registers a fault and diagnostic trouble code (DTC) ECM-644A is stored in the engine control module (ECM) if the camshaft does not rotate quickly enough in response to the control signal.

Substitute value
-the variable camshaft is disabled <------------- (This is why your car is rough running!)

Possible source

Faulty position
-camshaft belt has jumped out of place on the cogs
-defective reset valve
-mechanical fault in the Variable valve timing (VVT) unit
Faulty control
-defective camshaft position (CMP) sensor
Control too slow
-low oil pressure
-poor oil quality
-defective reset valve
-mechanical fault in the Variable valve timing (VVT) unit

Fault symptom
-poor performance

Checking the fault type:

-Check camshaft position (CMP) sensor connector for contact resistance and oxidation

-Read out the adapted values for the camshaft. There are 4 values, one for each flank.
If one of the adaptation values is 20 degrees, the camshaft reset valve has stuck. Replace the camshaft reset valve.
If one of the adaptation values is less than 9 degrees, the camshaft reset valve is defective. Replace the camshaft reset valve.
If any of the adaptation values are between 10 and 19 degrees, the variable camshaft must be adjusted in relation to the crankshaft. Adjust the camshaft.
Remedy as necessary.

-Check reset valve camshaft resistance between both terminals #1 and #2, resistance should be approximately 3.7 ohm.

-Check the oil level and oil quality.
Check that the variable valve timing (VVT) unit and reset valve function mechanically.
Remedy as necessary.

=Verification:
Hint: After carrying out the repair, check that the fault has been remedied.
-Ignition off
-Reinstall the connectors, components etc.
-Ignition on
-Start the engine.
Check the camshaft adaptation by reading off the adaptation values of the camshaft (flanks 1-4). All values must be between -7° and +7°.
Turbocharged engines: When checking, the accelerator pedal (AP) must be depressed slightly but the engine speed must be below 1200 rpm.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________
ECM-280A

Copied from the net....

1999 v70r problem with returning ecm-280a or p1133.The fuel pressure is 380 kpa when problem is happening. Both 02s have been replaced with oem parts also both have oem adaptor harnesses installed. Code is set at full throttle around 5,000 rpm the short term fuel trim goes to 35% long term around 2%---if you let off the gas some keeping steady speed the short term trim will stay at 33-35% and the code is set. I have pressure tested the exhaust with smoke tester and no leaks are found---while under pressure prying on the exhaust no leakage seen. Also no leakage on the intake side. The engine misfires at the same time---full throttle high rpm. All 5 coils are new and spark plugs. I'm thinking injector could be sticking but at this time no green injectors to try. Unsure about it being an injector because with a fault set car in limp home mode open loop---full throttle the car runs fine and no misfire---only in closed loop car misfires at full throttle above 5,000 rpm. The car has a new ECM---running out of money!!! any help?

Result

Okay I fixed the problem after many wasted hours of my time and money. Back when the code was first set i replaced both o2 sensors and installed the adaptor harnesses that volvo recommends for my VIN with the above code. Turns out im back after a full circle to the front o2 sensor being the problem. Today i replaced the front o2 sensor again and this time my problem is gone. The new front o2 sensor was bad. Happy again with less money!!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________

Maybe the OP bought a cheap O2 sensor? Who knows, but it highlights the stumbling blocks with pattern parts and I for one only advocate them in a non electrical sense. Anything to do with Fuel, fuel trim, electrics, switches and sensors....always try and use stock or quality Bosch parts.

Hope this helps!