PDA

View Full Version : Curing cloudy headlights?

Tee5alive
Thursday 24th May 2018, 15:06
Hi

is there any way to just replace the plastic lenses on the V70 are they just 'covers' or are they part of the headlight itself? They are not just cloudy so cannot be polished out as I have done on other cars, ther are crazed as well and also dim and scatter the light beam so I need them back to 'crystal'.

I have persepex polish and an electric buffer but it wont remove the crazing :( Whatever happened to using GLASS for headlights? They get so hot, as they are on all the time, they cloud very quickly!

I have replaced just the glass on the P2 as it unclips. A new bead of silicone around the glass seating, press it in and refit the metal spring clips. Dont know if the P3 is the same without pulling the car apart.

Thanks

Both the headlights are crazed and cracking in places.

Awful cloudy plastic is scattering the beam!

MaxiV70
Tuesday 29th May 2018, 07:23
Hello, have you tried sanding them down first before you polish them ? Using 800Grit wet and dry then working your way up to 2500 grit. it might get rid of sum of the scratches. I agree the glass headlight are much better I've got glass headlights on my V70 and plastic on my S80. Sanding first normally helps in getting a nice smooth finish.

LeeT5
Tuesday 29th May 2018, 08:15
I agree with MaxiV70, however, I'd go in straight away with 2500 grit wet n dry, bucket of warm water with some fairy liquid in.
In my experience 800 grit is too heavy a cut.
You need to work with the 2500 grit for at least 10 minutes on each light, avoiding circular motions. Then rinse and use a heavy cutting compound polish on your machine polisher and you'll have them looking like new in about 30 minutes!

I'd also replace the headlight bulbs with a set of Osram Night breakers or another quality bulb. Standard bulbs that you can pick up anywhere are very dull, generally.

Don't forget to open the bonnet and mask off the lower sections of bumper.

Tee5alive
Tuesday 29th May 2018, 09:05
Many Thanks guys Im off to Halfords for some Wet Dry!