PDA

View Full Version : How to remove HU-650 headunit on 2004 facelift model??

Tee5alive
Sunday 29th April 2018, 17:54
Hi

The car I bought yesterday is slightly different as it has the HU-650 headunit. It has no signal so I suspect the aerial, as now and then I get SOMETHING. The CD player has 4 CD's jammed in it so basically Im going to just rip them out as they were there when I got the car! I also want to fit a NORMAL DIN roof mount aerial as I HATE the useless 'heated window' type aerial that wont pic up anything except static most of the time UNLESS youre parked NEXT to the radio transmitter!!!

I looked on U toob and there are no vids there on stripping out the facelift dash, totally different! The new car is only a runabout but I want to sell it again in a few months once my T5 is MOT's again so dont want the inside trashed as its pretty mint for its age!

Can you get an adaptor to convert the 'volvo thing' to DIN please?

ta

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 29th April 2018, 18:56
Is this the model?

Beware not to disconnect the heater panel connectors as this could cause error codes.

https://gromaudio.com/installs/volvo_01-06_hu650_850__car_stereo_removal_guide_and_bluetoo th_hands_free_.html

Also autoleads do this, plus others so check it will fit your model.
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/autoleads-fp-10-06-volvo-s60-v70-s80-single-double-din-fascia-panel-adaptor.html

Tee5alive
Sunday 29th April 2018, 20:25
Yep thats the one with the 'chrome' trim round it. Cheers Dave!

I heard that if you disconnect the battery it stops it 'knowing' its had bits removed and shouldnt make it fault? But I'll go on what you say! Thanks

Dangerous Dave
Sunday 29th April 2018, 22:49
I can't say for certain that it will throw a code, some info here :)
https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=57076

Tee5alive
Tuesday 1st May 2018, 16:32
HOW TO TRASH A CD PLAYER! headunit update
Got the HU out stripped it down and thought the CD player might be savable if I could get the discs out .......erm NO!
The previous owner has stuck a CD in with a stick on paper label - pressed eject - disc jams - BREAKS DRIVE SHAFT!

Ripping it apart

How to KILL a CD player.......insert a WESTLIFE CD with a sticky paper label on that jams the eject mechanism!

The beast opened up - BROKEN DRIVE SHAFT ARROWED

Somewhere here a mod can be done to solder in an AUX INPUT. A guy on you tube has done the mod. Needs a small circuit board making up so I may get the gubbins and make one! THEN its ipod time.

Reassembly - NOW just a radio receiver - CD scrapped. May look for another HU-650 to be a donor and nick the CD changer. Fit it to MY unit and as its the same base radio the code shouldnt change I HOPE!!!

Radio back together I have a bluetooth transmitter so if I can get the radio picking up signals Im in business!

Fittend back into console unit

The finished article ready to go back in

I can drive a car on long journeys without cruise but NOT WITHOUT SOUNDS. Waiting for the DIN Volvo aerial adaptor to arrive plus a 5m aerial extension cable and fitting a roof antenna on as the window 'wire' one has died (may be the amplifier but who knows?)

Dangerous Dave
Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 09:22
Nice one :) Shame about the cd drive snapping.

This guy looked at modding his but then made a aux input module, if you have the skills :D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awiEhS4RsIE

But then there is this with bluetooth, usb and aux input
https://www.banggood.com/1-Set-Auto-Bluetooth-Kits-Hands-free-AUX-Adapter-Interface-For-Volvo-Hu-p-1175749.html?p=KR28032004379201507P&cur_warehouse=CN

Doingitsideways
Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 11:50
Just a thought...

You don't have a phone charger or similar plugged into the lighter socket do you?

They interfere with the radio like mad. In my XC90 they make it completely unusable

LeeT5
Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 13:14
Just a thought...

You don't have a phone charger or similar plugged into the lighter socket do you?

They interfere with the radio like mad. In my XC90 they make it completely unusable

Indeed they do!

Took me a while to work out why my radio reception was so crap in my VW T5. Turned out the BT adaptor was knocking out the signal! Unplugged it and radio reception was perfectly clear again.

Tee5alive
Wednesday 2nd May 2018, 23:13
Thanks for the link Dave
No nothing plugged in the 12v socket sideways. I do have a bluetooth transmitter that the radio picks up allowing me to listen to some toons and that messes up the radio.
The guy has fitted a Parrot hands free and my guess is hes cut through something vital for the aerial!

Anyway my DIN adaptor arrived today so Im doing my standard mod fitting a ROOF aerial right at the back they work SUPERB and reception is brilliant as its far away from the engine! Just have to pull the new aerial extension through above the headlining, a quick job with a straightened out wire coat hangar! Then run it down inside the A post trim and away we go!

Yes Im annoyed that simple stupidity ruined a perfectly good CD player!!

Thanks Guys

MoleT-5R
Thursday 3rd May 2018, 09:07
Just a thought...

Indeed they do!

Took me a while to work out why my radio reception was so crap in my VW T5. Turned out the BT adaptor was knocking out the signal! Unplugged it and radio reception was perfectly clear again.

I have the same issue in my XC90 since I installed the grom kit and some usb adapters, radio signal is awful now

Tee5alive
Saturday 5th May 2018, 13:16
Well the update is BEFORE i CUT HOLES IN THE CAR I tried the radio STILL nothing but mush so the receiver is knackered. So im into the awful 'buy a second hand one for £20 and spend £70 getting it coded!!! FUMING!!! I cannot do long journeys in SILENCE AAARGH. The diesel engine on the D5 sounds amazing but I can imagine after 5 hours it a little grinding on the nerves!

Tee5alive
Monday 7th May 2018, 01:05
Just a thought...

No but hes fitted a Parrot bluetooth !!! I wonder if THATS thrashing the signal. I never use handsfree in the car so Ill just cut it out and bin it!

Just thinking to save me wasting money on just getting the radio fixed so I can use my cheapy bluetooth radio transmitter to listen to the ipod - how about if I fit a Grom/ IMIV or something like that ? But how does the head unit see the adaptor on the HU menu? The wont need radio!

Gold 'N' Brown
Monday 7th May 2018, 06:29
On my Ph2 with the basic HU I've got a copy of a Yatour box, which is I guess pretty similar to the Grom. Plugs in to the CD multichanger input, so that's what you select on the menu when you want to use it. Got BT (never used), and a USB input that I connect up to my phone. Never use the radio (can't stand the utter ££££e on the radio).

Blackdog
Monday 7th May 2018, 08:27
Bit late maybe but do you not have the 3.5mm aux input in the centre console armrest storage bin?

I also have a Parrot hands free unit. It causes no interference on mine.

Tee5alive
Monday 7th May 2018, 11:13
Bit late maybe but do you not have the 3.5mm aux input in the centre console armrest storage bin?

I also have a Parrot hands free unit. It causes no interference on mine.

:O OMG I never knew about that, I'll have a look that would solve all the hassle thanks guys.

LeeT5
Monday 7th May 2018, 14:29
:O OMG I never knew about that, I'll have a look that would solve all the hassle thanks guys.

Well? Do you??

As a rule, properly fitted BT units don’t interfere with HU’s as they use bespoke software designed to work in harmony.

Tee5alive
Monday 7th May 2018, 16:19
Had a look NO socket so ive bought a cheap Yatour to try.

Tee5alive
Friday 11th May 2018, 21:41
Update:
The Ipod adaptor arrived plugged it in didn't work!! But the instructions book is useless!
Strange thing though the radio must have worked out I wasn't going to listen to it anymore as it was being 'bad' and I had bought the grom lookalike thingy - sooooo put the HU cables all in neatly and lo and behold the radio is now working???? Fitted it back in the dash until I get more detailed instructions on the adaptor wiring.

Trouble is I emailed them today after it arrived by post and I found it wouldn't work, now being Friday I wont get an answer until Monday earliest :(

BUT at least I can use my Bluetooth transmitter that allows you to listen to the ipod through the radio, interference gets bad near Bristol though!!!

Tee5alive
Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 14:45
NEW YATOUR arrived - fitted - dashboard rebuilt - tested SUPERB!! screw the HU-850 The radio now works and I have SOUNDS! JOb done!