PDA

View Full Version : Sport Mode On The "R"

glock19
Thursday 17th February 2005, 00:37
Some major tuners who re-maps the ECU mentioned that the AT "R"s should be switched to the SPORT mode to prevent the torque converter from 'heating up'. Is it the same for the RICA ?

Any reason (layman's terminology) why this action (if applied) is justifiable ? If it works for the "R", why not for the T5s ? After seeing the 'recommendation', I've now put the switch selection on SPORT all the time (albeit, higher fuel coonsumption) just to avoid the TC from heating up. Till I get some solid reasons to do otherwise....

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 17th February 2005, 00:46
I have not used sport mode since I had the RICA installed.

Sport mode just changes when the box changes up and makes the kick down more prominent and deeper.
I cannot think why it would be affect by the extra power?

The TC doesnt heat up - the ATF does - but it would in normal use. So long as the ATF remains within tolerant temps - I think it will be just fine. Which brings me back to the extra cooler (as recommended for autos that are used towing/taxiing, by Volvo). Addition of the extra cooler should hopefully prevent the ATF getting too hot.

glock19
Thursday 17th February 2005, 07:31
If you have the time, mybe you can check out the following ?
IPD in US (http://www.ipdusa.com/pdf/ecu_94_98.pdf)

I've made a cut-out just for a quick reference.

glock19
Thursday 17th February 2005, 07:37
Oh yeah, heard of the oil cooler even over here. Some of my T5 friends have already fixed the extra unit on the passenger side front of the car beside the fog lamps. They used Pajero oil coolers as it's rather compact but it does the job well. I wonder if the method they used is safe and good enough because they just used the hose clips (but good quality ones). I'm looking for those crimping type and am still sourcing for the cooler myself.