PDA

View Full Version : PCV system

MobyUK
Thursday 4th January 2018, 10:38
Hi Folks.

I was thinking of changing the PCV system on my P80 V70 T5 but my garage suggested ditching it and using a catch can system. Just wondered if anyone had done this, how difficult it is and whether it's a good idea.

Cheers, Moby

sachafox
Thursday 4th January 2018, 19:39
I can only speak from what I have researched on the internet.

People seem to have ditched it and run a catch can system. But I have heard the factory system is effective.

My replacement system should be arriving tomorrow and I will be fitting early next week at the latest so I can let you know how it goes. See the link for the kit I ordered. http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_919_921&products_id=9173

I also have a p80 V70 T5 - 1997.

M-R-P
Thursday 4th January 2018, 22:14
They have a catch tank any way.
I added a 2nd catch tank to the system as the standard one is pants.
They're still prone to blockage regardless.
The standard one is complicated for a reason, just flawed.

Is your pcv blocked? Or are you looking to do it as a precaution?

MobyUK
Friday 5th January 2018, 11:54
Precaution. Car has done 141K and the consensus appears to be that it should be changed around 100K.

Just wish I could find some detailed info on a catch can system to see what's involved.

mostin58
Friday 5th January 2018, 14:04
I need to do mine too, done the glove test, just replaced the heater matrix as that was leaking into the footwell, easier than I thought it would be

MobyUK
Friday 5th January 2018, 17:21
Had to do my heater matrix year before last as well.

Shame no one seems to have any advice on dumping the PCV system for a catch can. Maybe it's not worth the effort, hence maybe no one has done it.

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th January 2018, 01:06
It's really not worth it, it does its job. It's the oilways in the ports that block and sometimes a feed pipe.
I fitted a 2nd catch tank to the pcv outlet, before it vents back to the inlet pipe. It keeps the oil vapour out of the charge air system without compromising the pcv.

Check the pcv first and if it's not blocked, I wouldn't worry. Just make sure it gets regular oil services and keep an eye on the pcv.

M-R-P
Tuesday 9th January 2018, 01:12
For what it's worth, my car has never had the pcv done to my knowledge. I've cleaned parts of it once as a small banjo connection was blocked. That was when it was on about 175k miles. It's now on 230k and still fine.

MobyUK
Tuesday 9th January 2018, 09:53
I think mine does need doing. I did the rubber glove over the oil filler yesterday and it didn't get sucked in at all, just puffed up.

Could you possibly explain how and where your 2nd catch can fits?

M-R-P
Wednesday 10th January 2018, 09:10
There's an outlet pipe for the pcv, it connects to the inlet pipe, on the elbow that connects to the turbo inlet. It's attached to the ptc nipple (the only port with an electrical connection).
I extended this pipe to a catch tank and ran another pipe from the can's outlet, back to the inlet ptc nipple.

MobyUK
Wednesday 10th January 2018, 13:43
Thanks for that. I'll probably do it when I change the pcv.
Cheers
Moby