PDA

View Full Version : Gear box

abdul
Thursday 30th November 2017, 08:08
Got a grinding noise from front off the car someone says I need a gearbox any suggestions where I can get one it's for a 1999 v70 r awd

Dangerous Dave
Thursday 30th November 2017, 13:21
Assuming it is drivetrain related - I had a grinding noise on my 850 AWD. Turned out to be the connecting sleeve between the gearbox and the angle gear (part of the AWD system).

Problem was that the connecting sleeve had worn down the splines on the gearbox so I had to replace it.

In the later cars I think they 'glued' the connecting sleeve to the gearbox (not sure which year they started that though)

It could also be the angle gear.

Anyway, best to get it fully diagnosed before going and getting a gearbox. The sleeve is designed to wear so you don't have to replace more expensive components. A connecting sleeve costs around £90 (last time I checked).

foammanmark
Thursday 30th November 2017, 15:26
Hi Abdul, I'm assuming that this is on Laser? Is there not a receipt for a gearbox at 120k miles or so from what I remember? She's only in the 140's now isn't she?

abdul
Thursday 30th November 2017, 20:57
Assuming it is drivetrain related - I had a grinding noise on my 850 AWD. Turned out to be the connecting sleeve between the gearbox and the angle gear (part of the AWD system).

Problem was that the connecting sleeve had worn down the splines on the gearbox so I had to replace it.

In the later cars I think they 'glued' the connecting sleeve to the gearbox (not sure which year they started that though)

It could also be the angle gear.

Anyway, best to get it fully diagnosed before going and getting a gearbox. The sleeve is designed to wear so you don't have to replace more expensive components. A connecting sleeve costs around £90 (last time I checked).

Will get it checked

abdul
Thursday 30th November 2017, 20:59
Hi Abdul, I'm assuming that this is on Laser? Is there not a receipt for a gearbox at 120k miles or so from what I remember? She's only in the 140's now isn't she?

She's on 158 k at the moment I think the gear box was done 8 years ago not sure what the mileage was will check

abdul
Thursday 30th November 2017, 23:37
Just looked at the folder the gearbox was done at 99k in 2006

abdul
Thursday 30th November 2017, 23:38
As dangerous dave says I am going to look at the awd system before I do anything else

Dangerous Dave
Friday 1st December 2017, 00:32
An easy way to check is if the propshaft will turn without turning the front wheels (as the prop is connected directly to the diff). If it does then the rear is disconnected somewhere between the prop and the gearbox output shaft which means the connecting sleeve or the angle gear. You may even be able to get the grinding noise.