PDA

View Full Version : My R's throwing the P0172 code so further investigations to start.....

foammanmark
Friday 10th November 2017, 11:49
Can go upto 800/1,000 miles before coming on but has suddenly become less miles this week. Car seems to drive OK to me, but I would like someone else to have a drive and see what they think. Anyone in Lancs give me a shout please and you can take a test drive.............

Replaced lots of vac lines already but still a few to check/replace, so hopefully I'll come across something iffy. Checked intercooler piping, and going to clean the MAF sensor as a precaution. Any other simple checks that I should be doing please?

MOT is Jan when she goes to my local Volvo indy, so he can take a look if I haven't cured her by then.

M-R-P
Friday 10th November 2017, 17:09
Try cleaning the maf (or swap for a working one).
Also, check the one-way valves as they can cause running issues.

foammanmark
Friday 10th November 2017, 17:32
MAF is off the car for the night to dry properly after using that CRC stuff. cleaned the whole thing inside very carefully, and some serious dirt removed.

I have a big Ramair foam cone on her and I presume that came pre-oiled but I haven't added any to it yet.

M-R-P
Friday 10th November 2017, 17:55
Don't oil it mate.
If anything, put it in the dishwasher and clean it.

Cone filters can cause maf issues as they let more particulates in.

deathrider311271
Sunday 12th November 2017, 13:15
P0172 Long-term fuel trim Lower limit

to points towards a leak somewhere or faulty lambda

foammanmark
Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:17
P0172 Long-term fuel trim Lower limit

to points towards a leak somewhere or faulty lambda

Cheers for the above Simon. I really can't find a leak and have done a thorough check. Ordered a silicone coupler hose for the inlet pipe to top of the turbo as a precaution, and I've been looking at that rubber elbow near the power steering pump, which looks pretty good tbh.

Using her again this week(cos I'm becoming addicted again), and I'll see how she goes.

stribo
Sunday 12th November 2017, 18:55
Check the little elbow that comes out of the inlet manifold, mine had split, you'll find it between the inlet tracts of cylinders 2 and 3 on the manifold.

foammanmark
Sunday 12th November 2017, 19:24
Will do cos that's one that I haven't checked.

foammanmark
Thursday 16th November 2017, 07:28
OK, so 200 miles since re-fitting the cleaned MAF, and she's a different car tbh. Pulling much better, and a lot smoother.

Only other thing I did was tighten a Mikalor clamp on that rubber coupler hose that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Thought I saw slight bubbling from around the top clamp when a shower came whilst the bonnet was up and water got to that area.

deathrider311271
Thursday 16th November 2017, 16:07
OK, so 200 miles since re-fitting the cleaned MAF, and she's a different car tbh. Pulling much better, and a lot smoother.

Only other thing I did was tighten a Mikalor clamp on that rubber coupler hose that I mentioned earlier in the thread. Thought I saw slight bubbling from around the top clamp when a shower came whilst the bonnet was up and water got to that area.

hopefully sorted buddy

foammanmark
Thursday 16th November 2017, 16:50
hopefully sorted buddy

Hopefully, and if the lambda light stays out........very happy days. Keep you posted.